1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What to do? Quick, I need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do? Quick, I need help.

I bought another truck last night. Only problem is it gushes trans fluid out from somewhere. Looks to be up high but it's to mess to even get an idea. So if this is a problem from within the trans I am going to replace it. My question is, can I swap my rebuilt 2wd drive trans over to 4X and what needs to be done. I am down a truck and bought this one as replacement but am now down two trucks. Any quick help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2x4 trannies can be coverted with a 4x4 tail housing and tail shaft.

I had an auto gushing fluid a while back. It was coming out the shift shaft where the linkeage attaches to te tranny. I got a seal at NAPA. and was able to get it in with the tranny in the truck. The hard part is getting the old seal out. If this is the source of your leak it is worth doing. Use a mirrir, a sharp punch, and a small hammer. Don't bugger the sealing surface of the shaft, but go ahead and mangle the old seal, it leaks anyway.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
It's probably gonna be easier to fix whatever's leaking than to do the swap. You have to completely disassemble the trans to swap tailshafts and housings.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 PM

Well I'm not sure what to do. I would fix the leak but that doesn't really help seeing how the trans is now slipping and I can't seem to find it. I could just stick the 2wd trans in. I can have a drive shaft section made for almost nothing. I need this truck as soon as yesterday. I am thinking of just taking the trans and t-case out and sending the trans to a buddy that has a tranny shop. While that's out the t-case needs to be sealed up, seems to be leaking fluid from about every seal.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:12 AM

Another thing I found was another trans cooler mounted underneath the driver side of the bed. There is an electric fan on top of the cooler that was completely seized up. Not to sure what to do with this, should I take the cooler out and not ever bother with it? Or should I delete the whole cooler/heat exchanger system and run just an aftermarket cooler?
Old 07-25-2008, 09:21 AM

That cooler under the bed was part of the 'Tow Package' from Dodge.
Check to make sure it is flowing - prob is or you'd have had major trouble whit the trans overheating.
You should pull the fan off - if it's not working why leave it? You could replace it or leave the cooler without a fan....
BTW - the cooler is supposed to have a temp sensor in it to turn on the fan.

If you want to get rid of it - let me know. I've been looking for one to go under the bed.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 AM

Some of the old automatics have an extra tranny cooler mounted on the passenger side of the block under the turbo. Its a water cooled unit that has 2 lines running to it. Check to make sure its not a bad o-ring or broken line running from the cooler.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:37 PM

Unixcowboy, I may want to get rid of it. I will let you know when I figure it out.

Bigdogbandal, that is the heat exchanger I was talking about deleting. Not sure if I should do that and just run a cooler. I have a complete factory heat exchanger that is nice shape I will swap in if I decide to stick with that route.

Was hoping JD730 would chime in on this one.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless the 518 is that much different then the 47rh.... they can be swapped VERY easy.

You need to pull the VB. Then pull the bolts holding the OD housing where it attaches to case.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 AM

Thanks Mark, I just got off the phone with a trans. guy and he said that I just need to switch the OD unit. He said to watch out for shims though, not sure what he meant but I guess I'm going to find out. Why would I need to pull the valve body though?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:00 AM

You need the water-to-trans- cooler to HEAT the trans fluid when it's cold...
For far north I guess, Mine's been out for a few months and I've had no bad effects. I know others who have had to remove it to make room for twins...
Old 07-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Banned

The VB comes out when you pull the park rod. Its a royal PIA if you leave it on.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:11 PM

Do you have to pull the park rod to change the OD unit.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:31 PM

Unfortunately !
The park pawl locks onto the output shaft in the OD unit.
That's the only place that is directly connected to the driveshaft.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:13 AM
Banned

its EASY to get the park rod out of the trans.

Just drop your VB and rotate the output shaft. (make sure the truck cannot roll of course) You will feel it let go and it will almost fall out.

Quick Reply: What to do? Quick, I need help.