1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 10:07 PM

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Taylorm2121
Took a two hour trip to stretch her legs and take in the cool mountain air. She seemed to be running good and wasn't all that bad to drive. Factory Captain chairs are not all that comfy.
Taylorm2121 you got her looking good .I don’t see no fender molding or body molding did you decide not to .If so it looks good either way love the club cabs
Old 04-17-2020, 12:18 AM

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunch
Taylorm2121 you got her looking good .I don’t see no fender molding or body molding did you decide not to .If so it looks good either way love the club cabs
Thanks Gunch! I'm actually waiting on some parts from Oliver before I put the wheel flares back on. Probably not going to put the side molding back on and still debating about badges.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:10 AM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
I LOVE my OEM captains chair too! Sounds like maybe the front foam in yours needs replacing maybe?
Good to know about the powdered graphite
Old 04-17-2020, 07:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I ordered new carpet and all new rubber for the windshield, doors and windows.
The following users liked this post:
Taylorm2121 (04-17-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Took a two hour trip to stretch her legs and take in the cool mountain air. She seemed to be running good and wasn't all that bad to drive. Factory Captain chairs are not all that comfy.
That looks great! My reg cab has a bench seat but I love it. Lots of room to move around!

Are those 16x7 wheels?
Old 04-17-2020, 07:16 AM

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,585 Posts
Unfortunately, no it was not a typo! Maybe my seats need refurbished or something. For some reason I feel like I'm siding forward out of the seat and have to keep shifting around to keep my back comfortable.
Thanks Oliver, I'm still working at it but I had to skip the de-rusting of every screw and bolt..LOL.
Could you post up a picture of your seats?
I am just wondering....Did you remove the seat bases from the seats and / or floor during the resto.? You now have me wondering if it is even possible to mount the seat base bracket backwards or something.
I drove 10 hrs to Carlisle, more or less non stop, several times in my '89 Ramcharger with '92 captains chair seats in them. I don't recall ever feeling like I was sliding forward.
Old 04-17-2020, 08:26 AM

Received 78 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Denis
That looks great! My reg cab has a bench seat but I love it. Lots of room to move around!

Are those 16x7 wheels?
Thanks, no they are the stock wheels with 285/75r/16
Old 04-17-2020, 08:47 AM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
That is good to know, what form do you buy it in? Like a puffer bottle?
Yes, that was it, and I believe it was a Lock-Ease product, sold to lubricate locks and latches...But I recently went to Lowe's looking for it and found only the liquid kind, which works fine for locks...Still it's probably suitable for window felt also...For those poor souls in colder climates, I know the graphite won't freeze either......Ben
Old 04-17-2020, 11:27 AM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
[QUOTE=Taylorm2121;3369726] Finally got the new radio in and of course only the back speakers are working 😒.
I found the rear 4x10 speakers on one of those antique replacement radio sites. Prolly $50+ i think. don't remember. Yea those early 90's paper cones for speakers are not the thing to have with all the water inside the door in the climate i'm in!

Old front driver side speaker!
Old 04-17-2020, 12:33 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
The radio I have is such a P.I.T.A. to use I hardly ever turn it on. Maybe on a long trip across west Texas I might slip in a CD but the noise of the truck makes it kind of an exercise in futility. There was no radio in the truck when I got it so I bought a cheapie off Amazon that just turned out to be hard to operate. My door speakers are not in that good of shape either and they are replacements. They have plastic shields which I assume are OEM to keep the majority of the rainwater off of them but they aren't sealed by any means. Do yours have the shields?

Edwin
Old 04-17-2020, 02:15 PM

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
The radio I have is such a P.I.T.A. to use I hardly ever turn it on. Maybe on a long trip across west Texas I might slip in a CD but the noise of the truck makes it kind of an exercise in futility. There was no radio in the truck when I got it so I bought a cheapie off Amazon that just turned out to be hard to operate. My door speakers are not in that good of shape either and they are replacements. They have plastic shields which I assume are OEM to keep the majority of the rainwater off of them but they aren't sealed by any means. Do yours have the shields?

Edwin
Yes they have the shields but those are not very effective. I cut a piece of plastic long enough to tape it horizontal at the door handle level then stuff it in the door to drape over the speaker but keep it out of the window track. I can send picture if you like. Need to figure out something similar for my window motor. notice lots of rust in that area from the rain getting in. New belt molding just does seem to match and stay in place like the OEM. Plus there is the slight area at the vertical vent window post that i have not come up with viable seal yet. Leaks and squeaks! Bite my tongue, it'll be a leak on the motor next!
Old 04-17-2020, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by FrustratedFirst
Yes they have the shields but those are not very effective. I cut a piece of plastic long enough to tape it horizontal at the door handle level then stuff it in the door to drape over the speaker but keep it out of the window track. I can send picture if you like. Need to figure out something similar for my window motor. notice lots of rust in that area from the rain getting in. New belt molding just does seem to match and stay in place like the OEM. Plus there is the slight area at the vertical vent window post that i have not come up with viable seal yet. Leaks and squeaks! Bite my tongue, it'll be a leak on the motor next!
Don't bother with the picture I get what you mean. Probably what would be best would be a plastic cone speaker if such exist.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:00 PM

Right side window motor

I pulled the truck into the garage to do some dashboard work and I noticed the right side window motor had stopped working. Not long ago the left side quit working and like then it was the brushes worn out and sticking in the plastic guide. I used wd-40 to clean things up and put a dab of grease in the bearing and put it back together.

This time though I measured the brushes before I put it back together. They are 0.204 " square. About 5mm x 5mm is the closest I can find listed on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Carbon-Brushes-Electric-Replacement/dp/B07DYW5ZY7/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=electric+motor+brushes+5mm+x+5mm&qid=1587152872&sr=8-7 https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Carbon-Brushes-Electric-Replacement/dp/B07DYW5ZY7/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=electric+motor+brushes+5mm+x+5mm&qid=1587152872&sr=8-7
But these have the wire braid coming from the end and not the side like the window motor brushes. They are also to long and would probably need to be cut down some.

Anyway it's working for now so back to my original dashboard work. I need to figure out if the heater doors are working as my defroster doesn't work well at all and all of the air comes out of the A/C registers.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:20 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Pulled the truck into the shop yesterday and changed my oil...375K km's. Swapped from the Rotella T6 5w30 I run for winter to the Rotella T4 15w40 for the warmer months. Also swapped out my winter tires for my summers.
The following users liked this post:
FrustratedFirst (04-18-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 07:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Changed out the belt tensioner

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?