1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
1stGEN93, also check the front cooler lines. One of them has a check valve in it. Maybe it’s not fully opening and closing? A new line is about $16 from RockAuto. It would be a cheap and easy attempt to swap out. When my trans got hot, it sounded like a small metal bell was ringing while the truck was running.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 73CrewCab
1stGEN93, also check the front cooler lines. One of them has a check valve in it. Maybe it’s not fully opening and closing? A new line is about $16 from RockAuto. It would be a cheap and easy attempt to swap out. When my trans got hot, it sounded like a small metal bell was ringing while the truck was running.
The cooler lines are all rubber as the only cooler I have is an auxiliary cooler under the bed. Would I still have a check ball? It doesn’t seem to get hot now, it just got hot before I owned it and the lines blew and the thing nearly ran out of fluid. Darn old trucks
Old 02-28-2018, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93

The cooler lines are all rubber as the only cooler I have is an auxiliary cooler under the bed. Would I still have a check ball? It doesn’t seem to get hot now, it just got hot before I owned it and the lines blew and the thing nearly ran out of fluid. Darn old trucks
“You definitely need to have the check valve in there” is what a tranny shop told me. I had the stock cooler on the block by the turbo, then removed the stock cooler and lines from the front of the truck, and installed an aftermarket cooler with standard rubber lines. I didn’t know about the check valve when I built my truck. The tranny guy told me to use stock lines with the check valve in it. I forget the routing of which line (in or out) gets the check valve. I guess it holds the pressure to the converter. Mine seemed to run ok for about 4K miles without it, but then it started having issues.... you should be able to splice one in with a few hose clamps. Worth a shot.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by 73CrewCab

“You definitely need to have the check valve in there” is what a tranny shop told me. I had the stock cooler on the block by the turbo, then removed the stock cooler and lines from the front of the truck, and installed an aftermarket cooler with standard rubber lines. I didn’t know about the check valve when I built my truck. The tranny guy told me to use stock lines with the check valve in it. I forget the routing of which line (in or out) gets the check valve. I guess it holds the pressure to the converter. Mine seemed to run ok for about 4K miles without it, but then it started having issues.... you should be able to splice one in with a few hose clamps. Worth a shot.
Ill definitely look and see if I have one. Maybe I should just start new thread called, “What went wrong with my first gen today?”
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (02-28-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
73crewcab....is your KSB hooked up? If it is try disconnecting it and see if your power issues improve. If the AIT sensor is faulty and it's constantly in advance timing mode you can loose a little grunt.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
73crewcab....is your KSB hooked up? If it is try disconnecting it and see if your power issues improve. If the AIT sensor is faulty and it's constantly in advance timing mode you can loose a little grunt.
I’m still learning, so can you please explain to me what KSB and AIT mean?
Old 02-28-2018, 04:54 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93

I’m still learning, so can you please explain to me what KSB and AIT mean?
Your KSB is your Kaltstartbeschlueserung. Does that clear things up for you?

Just kidding. It's the little hangy-down thing attached to the lower part of your injection pump, with the same type of ring terminal connection as the fuel shut-off solenoid. It gets a signal when the intake air is cold and advances the pump timing a little, if I understand correctly.

-Niemand
Old 02-28-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Oh no! I hit a bump and they both fell right off the side of my P-pump. My “grunt” got to move up to the front seat this week, since I finally installed the passenger side bucket seat... I’m either really nice, or I’m tired of removing my kid’s car seat to haul the grunt around, then reinstalling it after I’m done for the day
Old 02-28-2018, 06:30 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by N. Besonderes
Your KSB is your Kaltstartbeschlueserung. Does that clear things up for you?

Just kidding. It's the little hangy-down thing attached to the lower part of your injection pump, with the same type of ring terminal connection as the fuel shut-off solenoid. It gets a signal when the intake air is cold and advances the pump timing a little, if I understand correctly.

-Niemand
Yup that is the KSB. The AIT is the Air Intake Temperature Sensor....
Old 03-01-2018, 04:28 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
[QUOTE=73CrewCab;3344733][left]Well, it rained last night. Then the sun came out until about 4:30pm and it started raining again. Went to Lowes to grab some grass seed and steer poop... I figured it would be a good idea after I saw some mud plop down from the frame of my truck and one of the guys said “looks like cow schtuff”. I saw this big mud puddle and since I was done early today...and my truck was clean...and I had nothing else to do... and I DO have a pressure washer.... I figured that it was “Figure 8 Tuesday”.

I like how you mounted your LED bar. Most only look good on newer trucks but yours is in a good spot. Plus you wouldn't get the glare off your hood. When do you use it?
Old 03-01-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Like any red blooded American citizen, he uses it to blind oncoming traffic that has their high beams on coming at him
N. Besonderes (03-01-2018)
Old 03-01-2018, 08:31 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Like any red blooded American citizen, he uses it to blind oncoming traffic that has their high beams on coming at him
Or as they do around here just leave it on at all times.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Angry Johnny
Or as they do around here just leave it on at all times.
Yup, especially during snow events, here. Dang nabbit plow jockies.

This is an enforcement issue, just like on my own street of which leads to a local k-3 school. For 24 years I have complained to the local police regarding the inconsiderate mothers (and bus drivers) who fly up my street to the school every single day. 60+ mph on a 25 mph street. These cops will NOT do anything about it, period. They tell me,that if it bothers me that I should take photos or video of the offender, and come to the station and file charges.

They don't give a rat's coolio. Just like the folks who drive around with those led lights on all the time.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:43 AM

AFC Diaphragm

So I plan to check the diaphragm today after school. To check it will it be obvious to where I only need to take off the very top cover, or do I have to take off the whole afc housing? Should I check the diaphragm or just order a new one and replace it for good measure? They are only $20, so I wouldn’t be too upset about needing to replace a 25 year old piece of rubber.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Yup, especially during snow events, here. Dang nabbit plow jockies.

This is an enforcement issue, just like on my own street of which leads to a local k-3 school. For 24 years I have complained to the local police regarding the inconsiderate mothers (and bus drivers) who fly up my street to the school every single day. 60+ mph on a 25 mph street.
A few simple orange road cones in the middle of the street would solve this. Set up a “drivers training course”. They’ll slow down. I had a kid in a lowered Honda doing the same with the windows down and stereo all the way up. I blasted him with the garden hose. When he backed up to yell at me, I grabbed him by the shirt, hit the seatbelt release and removed him from his vehicle and detained him on the pavement. When the neighbors came out, I informed him that there are many fathers with little kids riding bikes and horses. Long story short, every time he’d come up the street, the volume went down and he obeyed the speed limit. 3 of the neighbors brought me 12 packs and shook my hand
N. Besonderes (03-01-2018)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?