1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 03:38 PM

Received 1,040 Likes on 764 Posts
I backed square into a tree once with my S-10 blazer. Took out the window and the tailgate because the spare tire hit first. Backed into a telephone pole with the truck but the 6" channel iron back bumper saved the body work. Just a big thud was all I got. I took the cap off a hot radiator once when I was a kid. Luckily I was quick enough to avoid serious burns. My pride was seriously injured though.

These are called learning experiences.

Edwin
The following 3 users liked this post by edwinsmith:
mknittle (05-25-2017), NJTman (05-25-2017), thrashingcows (05-24-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Here is what I did to my truck today and the day before.

Beginning of the week I was on an emergency call around 11:30 P.M. in a not so nice neighborhood when suddenly my headlights went out, I was able to get lights back on temporarily by holding back on the dimmer stalk, luckily I was able to get to my destination by using my high beams.

I got my job finished and before I left, I opened my hood and then by taking my emergency jumper wire I have stashed under the hood, I disconnected the relay trigger wire from the headlamp socket and plugged it into my jumper wire, I then connected the alligator clamp to my battery post and instantly I had lights again.

I drove home, next morning I bought a new multifunction switch and after trying to remember where I had left my long security torx bits I had the switch replaced within an hour cleaning everything inside the column.

The 4-way flasher button and high beam switch get an excessive use on my truck, the new switch sure does feel nice.

Then last night Tuesday I took a run out to Pasadena about 30 miles and on the way home I pulled down the freeway off ramp and the truck started to stumble when I came to a stop, I was able to keep it running where it did it again and almost stalled, I got home.

Figuring it was a fuel problem, I tried the lever on the fuel pump where it felt like there was nothing there, so at 2:00 a.m. I pulled off the pump and sure enough the cam follower just laid there limp and flopped when I turned it over.

Got it all cleaned up and had to wait for today to get a new one.

Ordered a new one on line, wife picked it up for me by the time I got up, had the new pump installed and truck running in less than 30 minutes just in time to make my doctor's appointment.

Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Lane:
edwinsmith (05-25-2017), thrashingcows (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Here is what I did to my truck today and the day before.

Beginning of the week I was on an emergency call around 11:30 P.M. in a not so nice neighborhood when suddenly my headlights went out, I was able to get lights back on temporarily by holding back on the dimmer stalk, luckily I was able to get to my destination by using my high beams.

I got my job finished and before I left, I opened my hood and then by taking my emergency jumper wire I have stashed under the hood, I disconnected the relay trigger wire from the headlamp socket and plugged it into my jumper wire, I then connected the alligator clamp to my battery post and instantly I had lights again.

I drove home, next morning I bought a new multifunction switch and after trying to remember where I had left my long security torx bits I had the switch replaced within an hour cleaning everything inside the column.

The 4-way flasher button and high beam switch get an excessive use on my truck, the new switch sure does feel nice.

Then last night Tuesday I took a run out to Pasadena about 30 miles and on the way home I pulled down the freeway off ramp and the truck started to stumble when I came to a stop, I was able to keep it running where it did it again and almost stalled, I got home.

Figuring it was a fuel problem, I tried the lever on the fuel pump where it felt like there was nothing there, so at 2:00 a.m. I pulled off the pump and sure enough the cam follower just laid there limp and flopped when I turned it over.

Got it all cleaned up and had to wait for today to get a new one.

Ordered a new one on line, wife picked it up for me by the time I got up, had the new pump installed and truck running in less than 30 minutes just in time to make my doctor's appointment.

Jim
Never a dull moment in the life of Jim Lane....

Surprised the Beatles haven't written a song about you.

"I read the news today, oh boy....

About a lucky man named big Jim Lane...

And though the news was rather grim .

His W350 got shot today...and

He laughed it off again..

.as we knew he would.. I'd love to see him MOooooooooooove"

(chorus)
The following 2 users liked this post by NJTman:
edwinsmith (05-25-2017), thrashingcows (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,600 Posts
Nice song T-man...What goes through your head is pretty funny.
I have been tinkering on little detail things on the Gauntlet to get it ready for the road. I have been driving the '91.0 and the white crew cab everyday with no issues the past few weeks.
I am loving the rear Dana 80 swap with the tight LSD.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 1,040 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
I am loving the rear Dana 80 swap with the tight LSD.
LSD??? Crap! When did they legalize that? Who's your dealer?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:44 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Well the Lucas added to my Rotella 15W40 has caused another problem. Not only did it not make the noise disappear....probably thankful for that, but now it takes 2-3 seconds longer to build up oil pressure and have the idiot light go out first fire up of the day. Motor rattles even worse now at idle after the long wait for oil pressure to build up, so I'm wondering now if it might be a faulty, or dying oil pump?

Going to get a price on a new cummins oil pump tomorrow. Anyone run the melling aftermarket oil pump?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Well the Lucas added to my Rotella 15W40 has caused another problem. Not only did it not make the noise disappear....probably thankful for that, but now it takes 2-3 seconds longer to build up oil pressure and have the idiot light go out first fire up of the day. Motor rattles even worse now at idle after the long wait for oil pressure to build up, so I'm wondering now if it might be a faulty, or dying oil pump?

Going to get a price on a new cummins oil pump tomorrow. Anyone run the melling aftermarket oil pump?
That Sux.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:24 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts

Man, sorry about that, TCows. Didn't mean for that to happen. I've ran that concoction in the summer months for years, and only 1 32oz. Bottle during the winter. When my father in law linspected the crank and Rod bearings for wear, he said they looked fantastic. Also, I regularly, once a year, send in an oil sample to Blackstone labs, and my readings have all been good with the addition of Lucas.
Maybe, it is the oil pump, and this may be a blessing? I see those things for sale all the time on eBay. Maybe swap out the oil pump out of that other engine you have, to see if it truly is the oil pump.
Not trying to be a downer, but I sure hope your oil sump pick up tube isn't working itself loose, causing some rattle. I say that only because I've never had a problem with oil pressure readings.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:24 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I had my VE pump rebuilt and just got it back on today. Bled the injector lines and got it to start. Tried to rev up the engine and it has no throttle response. Any help would be great.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by mtnwldman
I had my VE pump rebuilt and just got it back on today. Bled the injector lines and got it to start. Tried to rev up the engine and it has no throttle response. Any help would be great.
Did you rebuild, or someone else?

If the,throttle lever is indexed wrong it can respond that way (so I found out by incorrectly setting it)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:36 AM

Okay,

Just got off the phone with a HD Diesel mechanic buddy of mine, who in the last 35 years, has seen everything about anything diesel.

He said...

Get that **** out of your engine. Get the engine hot, dump that crap out, and put Rotella 15w40 in its place. He said that he "never uses that stuff in any diesel, and he's read that Oil stabilizers sometimes do not mix with synthetics, although again, he never uses them".

Put the OP gauge back on, and drive it around. Record your readings.

Further testing, each one being optional

*Crack individual injectors and see if there is any noticeable difference (it's called "fuel knock" when the injectors dump, vs atomize fuel)

*Pull the valve covers and listen for abnormal noises

*VE pumps can cause engine / fuel knock when they're going bad

Possible issues are bad injector, loose connecting rod, bad lifter, etc.

He does not believe it's a bad bearing, as if it was, it would fail very fast.

Personally, he and I both run 5w40 rotella synthetic in our trucks. In the summer he runs the 15w40 synthetic or regular to have a little bit more thickness to the oil.

He changes is oil 2 to 3 times a year as his service trucks are always idling. He also pays wholesale for oil and filters, so it's not a huge cost for him, and it's a write off.

If you can write down everything you've done so far, regarding your diagnosis work in one post (tabular format), I'll relay it to him and see what he thinks.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by bigragu
Man, sorry about that, TCows. Didn't mean for that to happen. I've ran that concoction in the summer months for years, and only 1 32oz. Bottle during the winter. When my father in law linspected the crank and Rod bearings for wear, he said they looked fantastic. Also, I regularly, once a year, send in an oil sample to Blackstone labs, and my readings have all been good with the addition of Lucas.
Maybe, it is the oil pump, and this may be a blessing? I see those things for sale all the time on eBay. Maybe swap out the oil pump out of that other engine you have, to see if it truly is the oil pump.
Not trying to be a downer, but I sure hope your oil sump pick up tube isn't working itself loose, causing some rattle. I say that only because I've never had a problem with oil pressure readings.
Hey no worries Augie....It was a great suggestion that "may" have fixed or diagnosed they problem.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Okay,

Just got off the phone with a HD Diesel mechanic buddy of mine, who in the last 35 years, has seen everything about anything diesel.

He said...

Get that **** out of your engine. Get the engine hot, dump that crap out, and put Rotella 15w40 in its place. He said that he "never uses that stuff in any diesel, and he's read that Oil stabilizers sometimes do not mix with synthetics, although again, he never uses them".

Put the OP gauge back on, and drive it around. Record your readings.

Further testing, each one being optional

*Crack individual injectors and see if there is any noticeable difference (it's called "fuel knock" when the injectors dump, vs atomize fuel)

*Pull the valve covers and listen for abnormal noises

*VE pumps can cause engine / fuel knock when they're going bad

Possible issues are bad injector, loose connecting rod, bad lifter, etc.

He does not believe it's a bad bearing, as if it was, it would fail very fast.

Personally, he and I both run 5w40 rotella synthetic in our trucks. In the summer he runs the 15w40 synthetic or regular to have a little bit more thickness to the oil.

He changes is oil 2 to 3 times a year as his service trucks are always idling. He also pays wholesale for oil and filters, so it's not a huge cost for him, and it's a write off.

If you can write down everything you've done so far, regarding your diagnosis work in one post (tabular format), I'll relay it to him and see what he thinks.
Thanks T-man!

I did just that last night, drained out the Rotella 15W40 with the lucas and put the old Rotella 5W40 Synth back in with a new Baldwin filter....oil only had 1900km's on it.

Just the history on the noise, it started over the long cold winter we had up North here. I am pretty certain it started after a couple very cold fire ups....-30*C and no engine coolant or oil heating...forgot! There was much protesting and erroneous noises while the motor and truck warmed up. I had Rotella T4 15W40 in the crank case at this time, and the oil pressure probably to 7-10 seconds to register on the OEM gauge. I swapped to the T6 5w40 right after this and things were much better.

OK things I have done, or checked so far.

When I changed my oil back in March, fresh 5W40 Rottela T6, and Baldwin filter the rattle seemed to go away for the first 1000-1500km's, then started up again. Then beginning of April I swapped out the Rotella T6 for the Rotella T4 15w40 and a new Baldwin filter. Again the noise seemed to go away, or greatly lessen for the first 1000km, then came back.

I have removed the belt and fan and drove the truck, no change.

I have adjusted the valves again, and hand spun all the push rods looking for a bent one (all seemed to spin true) , no change.

I have tried more fuel additive, I use power service, as well as adding 2 cycle oil, no change.

I have tried different fuel vendors, but I usually buy my Fuel at Costco, which is either Imperial oil (Esso) or Husky ( A Canadian fuel Company). Again no change.

I had an aftermarket oil pressure gauge hooked up for a few hours, and the oil pressure seemed good, believe it was 45-55 at idle, and up to 90 on a wide open blast.

I have used an old stethoscope to crawl on, over and under listening to every component and area to narrow down the noise, and can't find it.

Noise is engine related, will do it parked, tranny in neutral, and with clutch in or out.

It is RPM related, but only when you are in "cruise" mod....ie using just enough power to maintain road speed. When driving it starts to rattle about 1550 rpm and is the noisiest at around 1700rpm, but will make the rattle as the rpm increase. If I build more then 5-7lbs boost the rattle goes away, or if I remove my foot from the pedal and allow the truck just coast down in speed and RPM the rattle is no longer there.

From my recollection the noise/rattle seems progressively been getting worse, it is always there now, but in the past there would be consecutive days when I would not hear it.

I also re-sealed the IP about 3 years ago, and all was good up until this winter.

Dan123dbl, a local 1st Gen'er is sending me his old OEM injectors to try, should be here in a day or two. So next week on my days off I will get those swapped out.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:20 PM

TC,

Just copied your post regarding your issue / timeline.

Sent it to him via Email. If you think of anything else, LMK.

When he responds I'll let you know what he said..

T.

A youtube video with you remarking when you "hear it" might be useful. I can send that to him as well.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (05-27-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 05:11 PM

My buddy read the email. This is what he texted me back.

Can the guy get his engine to make the noise sitting still? Needs to crack injectors one at a time listening for a change. My bet is a wrist pin. He should have saved some oil and sent out for analysis

YouTube....
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (05-27-2017)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?