1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:10 AM

Received 2,403 Likes on 1,585 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Got a package in the mail from Mr. Foster. Looks like a boomerang.

Actually it's a set of tow mirrors.

Olliver, could you send me a picture of the front top hole in the door, either side. I can figure out the rest from there.

I try to recycle stuff the best I can, and I go through a LOT of dog food with my Mastiffs!
The lady at the post office tries to guess the truck part I am shipping in the dog food bag usually.
You guys should have seen the cleaned out 1st gen fuel tank I shipped in about 6 dog food bags and a roll of packing tape. It looked like an Iams sponsored coffin.
I am glad the mirrors made it safely. I will get some pictures of the hole [s] in the door sent out later today for you John.
You will be towing your recreational double in style with those new tow mirrors!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mounted up the summer wheels and it promptly started snowing
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by diesel402004
Mounted up the summer wheels and it promptly started snowing
naturally.Seems I am hearing this often this year.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:40 AM
Banned

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
got all my parts in today to do the brakes/bearings/ujoints on my front axle. friday can't come soon enough!

on a side note: also picked up an hx-35w for my other project. putting a VE pump 6bt/A518 in a 3rd gen 1500 regular cab short bed. real basic build will have hx35, stock injectors, fuel pin, gov spring, revmax converter. just building it for a commuter vehicle. smaller and a bit more creature comforts than my 1st gen.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:00 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Well,

Today, I put my summer tires back on, from last weeks putting the snows back on, after I already had my summer tires on, and the weather people got it wrong, as usual.

So, I'm good to go now, as I told the few standouts that it will simply melt the next day, if we ever get anything. The last 5 forecasted storms of 2 to 3" of snow, which all resulted in NADA on the ground. Grass and trees looked pretty, but that was about it.

Welcoming spring, as today was spectacular.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:38 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
Argh, this VE rebuild is sure fighting me.

After figuring out there is no spring under the Cam Plate (thank you ThrashingCows) re assembly went smoothly. I put the Manifold Head on a few times until I was 100% sure the springs and Collar were perfect and breezed thru the Governor.

Was getting ready to put the top back on and the dang Full Load Fuel screw is frozen in the housing. It has to come out to get on the proper side of the post it pushes against.

Hit the surrounding housing with a small propane torch but still wouldn't budge.

Tomorrow going to try the torch again but also flood it in candle wax and try the impact screw driver if the bit will fit.

So close, yet so far!

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-yxldwyl.jpg
Old 03-23-2016, 10:47 PM

Also was having a problem with the rack wanting to fall down which would push the collar up and away to where it would fall off the peg. Came up with a simple solution to keep it from falling down and the collar centered.

Oh and a roll of duct tape makes the perfect pump holder!

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-hmfv1jh.jpg
Old 03-23-2016, 11:32 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
Argh, this VE rebuild is sure fighting me.

After figuring out there is no spring under the Cam Plate (thank you ThrashingCows) re assembly went smoothly. I put the Manifold Head on a few times until I was 100% sure the springs and Collar were perfect and breezed thru the Governor.

Was getting ready to put the top back on and the dang Full Load Fuel screw is frozen in the housing. It has to come out to get on the proper side of the post it pushes against.

Hit the surrounding housing with a small propane torch but still wouldn't budge.

Tomorrow going to try the torch again but also flood it in candle wax and try the impact screw driver if the bit will fit.

So close, yet so far!

Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
Also was having a problem with the rack wanting to fall down which would push the collar up and away to where it would fall off the peg. Came up with a simple solution to keep it from falling down and the collar centered.

Oh and a roll of duct tape makes the perfect pump holder!

I use an old cracked crank pulley from ??? Sits nice and flat on the bench, and the IP sits nicely within it. Roll of duct tape...nice idea!

As for the fuel screw....guess your going to want to adjust it at some time..."...just a little more fuel"...How many have said that! And you'll want to replace the O-ring on that one as well....so PB blaster, or ATF is a good penetrating fluid. Warm it up a bit, then soak it and let it sit over night. Small bouts of heat inside and out....more PB or ATF and let cool, try turning it by hand again....and keep repeating. It will eventually give up it's fight.

Last thing you want to do is force it and have it break off.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:05 AM

What do they say about Duct Tape, if you can't Duct it... Lol

I honestly am fine leaving the fuel screw where it is. My toy hauler is only 8K gross and I never have come close to that. Usually around 6K and only have one hill to pull between me and the sand dunes. Also having a Getrag I don't want to push my luck. I know they can handle more power but I just bought my first house and have enough head aches right now. Don't get me started on a FHA 203K rehab loan.

I do though want to get the screw out. To change the Oring but also because I'd hate to have it leak when back together and then yes of course to add more power!

I am going to try heat and wax tomorrow. Get the screw nice and warm and wick wax onto it and tap on it with a hammer here and there.

I did just find this though which might work! Just about at the bottom they deal with how to pull the lever forward to get the fuel screw to pass by the lever! Still hate to not fix it right though. The Mitsubishi 4x4 Owners Group :: Diesel pump top leak fix
Old 03-24-2016, 12:13 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Been using that trick for a few years now.... I use fishing line wrapped around a small pair of pliers as a handle.....works great! The reason I did not suggest it was due to the O-ring. Once it's swapped out, and the fuel screw is reset....then you can use that method to re-install the top if you ever have to have it off.
j.fonder (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 12:20 AM

I agree.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:34 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Well, it is not what I did to my truck but what almost happened to my truck,

I had just left home headed for downtown L.A. when I pulled out onto the main highway from of my house, I was going about 35 mph and going to make a left hand turn at the next intersection.

I just passed some apartment buildings and was approaching a cross street to the right, suddenly out from nowhere an SUV with less than maybe 2 car length in front of me decided to make a left turn directly across the front of me onto the cross street.

I reacted with both feet on the brake pedal and the instinct of right arm to block my daughter as she was not paying attention and was looking at me, the tires were either completely silent or I never heard a thing, just a lot of tire smoke.

My truck felt like it buried itself into the pavement as it went straight for the side of his SUV, I have no idea how I missed him but I did, I stopped with less than 1 foot from his side.

He looked at me for a second and then took off and continued on his way.

At the cross street there was a Covina City workers truck, he looked at me and motioned that he saw the incident and made hand signs that the guy was crazy.

The brakes worked perfect, with one hand on the steering wheel truck went straight although I know that I need to adjust the rears because the pedal is getting low.

Then about 20 minuets later I was in the #2 lane going about 75 MPH when a guy in a BMW in #3 cuts me off then jammed on his brakes on his way to the #1 lane.

People here are nuts.

Jim
Old 03-24-2016, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Got a package in the mail from Mr. Foster. Looks like a boomerang.

Actually it's a set of tow mirrors.

Olliver, could you send me a picture of the front top hole in the door, either side. I can figure out the rest from there.
Looks to me like someone was trying to ship a small Stealth Bomber through the mail.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:01 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Well,

People here are nuts.

Jim
Jim
It's living along the coast, as those people you describe..their relatives live here. They're all self obsessed, and care about no one else. And stupid to top it off.

Glad you and your daughter are okay.
thrashingcows (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 07:49 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Well, it is not what I did to my truck but what almost happened to my truck,

I had just left home headed for downtown L.A. when I pulled out onto the main highway from of my house, I was going about 35 mph and going to make a left hand turn at the next intersection.

I just passed some apartment buildings and was approaching a cross street to the right, suddenly out from nowhere an SUV with less than maybe 2 car length in front of me decided to make a left turn directly across the front of me onto the cross street.

I reacted with both feet on the brake pedal and the instinct of right arm to block my daughter as she was not paying attention and was looking at me, the tires were either completely silent or I never heard a thing, just a lot of tire smoke.

My truck felt like it buried itself into the pavement as it went straight for the side of his SUV, I have no idea how I missed him but I did, I stopped with less than 1 foot from his side.

He looked at me for a second and then took off and continued on his way.

At the cross street there was a Covina City workers truck, he looked at me and motioned that he saw the incident and made hand signs that the guy was crazy.

The brakes worked perfect, with one hand on the steering wheel truck went straight although I know that I need to adjust the rears because the pedal is getting low.

Then about 20 minuets later I was in the #2 lane going about 75 MPH when a guy in a BMW in #3 cuts me off then jammed on his brakes on his way to the #1 lane.

People here are nuts.

Jim
They seem to get worse by he day.
I am starting to think a 2 1/2 ton military truck is the perfect daily driver
thrashingcows (03-24-2016)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?