1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Water Pump type noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Water Pump type noise

My '92 3/4 ton was making what sounded like water pump bearing noises. I replaced the water pump AND the tensioner pulley. Noise still there. Could it be the clutch fan?? Anyone else had this problem?
The truck has 130,000 miles on it, mostly around town driving, some towing.I don't hot-rod it at all. This is its second water pump and tensioner pulley.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:56 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
It could be that but more likely it's the alternator.

Edwin
Old 05-15-2006, 11:59 PM

The alternator's only about a year old and the sound seemed to be coming from the water pump area, that's why I went ahead and replaced the pump and tensioner again. Being as it seems to be coming from that area is why I suspect the fan clutch.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The noise that you are hearing is most likely the fan idler bearing.It is under the fan pulley. Grag the top blade on your fan and see if you can get any movment out of it from front to back. If you can, then it is deffinately this bearing. If you cant, then it is probably still this bearing. I have the bearing in front of me but there is no # stamped in it. I think if I remember right it is a ntn 7666??? number. I dont remember all of it.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:34 AM

Check your fan hub bearing.. Take off the belt and spin the pulley where it ataches to the block and fan, it should spin free for a few turns.
I know mine sticks a little and should be changed, I don't have noise from it now but am waiting

Michael
Old 05-16-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Mike S.
My '92 3/4 ton was making what sounded like water pump bearing noises. I replaced the water pump AND the tensioner pulley. Noise still there. Could it be the clutch fan?? Anyone else had this problem?
The truck has 130,000 miles on it, mostly around town driving, some towing.I don't hot-rod it at all. This is its second water pump and tensioner pulley.

Take the oil fill tube out were if ataches to the timing cover and start the eng. Is it the same noise only louder.....this noise to me sounded like a bell ringing or a bird churping to me.

if this is you noise then just injoy it or replace the cam and inj put gears. I spent a lot of $$$ on part on the front of the moter before i traced the noise to this!
acording to the original owner the bell ringing was there from day one and the dealer never could find the problem so he fig he wouldn't wory about it till it broke......still running strong after 215000
Just a nether place to look
Old 05-16-2006, 12:33 PM

Regarding the Clutch Fan

If the problem IS the clutch fan, do I have to replace it or can I just remove it and the stock fan, store them in the garage and install a flex fan??
Do I really need a clutch fan at all?
Old 05-16-2006, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mike S.
If the problem IS the clutch fan, do I have to replace it or can I just remove it and the stock fan, store them in the garage and install a flex fan??
Do I really need a clutch fan at all?
You can remove the snap ring and just replace the bearing if your talking a bout the fan shaft. if your taking about the fans clutch,... if it roring when hot it working......dont thing that it would make much noise, now if it was bad just over heat or get hotter in city driving.

No i would not put a flex fan on it! just my .02s worth
Old 05-16-2006, 01:59 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how do you hear all of these noises? The ping from the injection ignition drowns out everything else for me.

Edwin
Old 05-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
Just out of curiosity, how do you hear all of these noises? The ping from the injection ignition drowns out everything else for me.

Edwin
I can't hear it while I'm driving or in the cab, but you can hear it if you stand in front of the truck while it's running hood open or closed. Sounds just like the water pump bearing. I know it's not because I just installed a new pump and tensioner pulley. I suppose it could be the AC pump, but it still sounds like it's coming from the water pump/fan area.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:01 PM

Spray some water on the belt. If the sound stops its your belt making all that racket..
Old 06-07-2006, 01:16 AM

Thumbs up

TLRMAN, I did as you suggested. I sprayed water on the belt, as much as I could what with the fan blowing it all over and drying it up almost instantly. Anyhow, when I did manage to get the belt wet, the sound went away or faded to almost nothing.

Then I replaced the belt, boy I hate doing that, you need three hands. But, with the new belt on I no longer hear the noise.

Thanks a bunch!!

Mike S.