1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Water Pump Episode

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:00 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Water Pump Episode

I thought I would relate this little episode in the event that my experience might help some other un-fortunate soul who might find themselves in the same situation.

Three years ago, when I was preparing my engine for installation in the truck, I replaced the probably original water-pump with a new life-time warranty one from Advance.

Yesterday, while climbing a long steep grade between concrete construction barriers, I noticed a roaring noise that I thought might just be the heavy downpour of rain hitting underneath the truck.

Then, I noticed that both the temperature gauges were steadily climbing.

As I was trapped between the construction barriers for another couple miles, there was nothing I could do but ease up and drive on.

It was 33* outside and raining ice-bullets by the bucket-fulls, which probably was a good thing for my engine.

Once safely clear of the construction zone, I put her on the shoulder and assessed the situation.

My nearly-new special-order $56 belt was in shreds and tangled and caught in everything under the hood.

By the time I got the remnants of the belt loose from everything, I was soaked to the bone with ice-water.

Then, I noticed that I no longer had a pulley and shaft in my water-pump, just a hole where they used to be.

I could see an exit-ramp ahead and the temperature gauges had gone back down to nothing, so I fired up the truck and eased to the exit and landed in an abandoned parking lot where I believe it was raining even harder.

I used my 13mm socket and removed what was left of the pump, plus whatever guts were lying loose just behind the pump-body.

I retrieved the old original pump from it's place in one of the "dog-house" tool-boxes, along with the new spare $56 belt.

Within minutes, the pumps were swapped.

These pumps will only line up one way and that is with the "weep" hole on the bottom-right orientation.

By then, my blanket-lined denim jacket was beginning to weigh a ton.

Before I started swapping the pumps, a good friend and fellow Cummins driver had happened along and went after three gallons of 50/50-anti-freeze.

I could have just used the plain old water that I always carry, but, it was going to be below freezing that night, and I didn't really want to have to deal with draining out the water and adding antifreeze after I got home all tired and wet.

Between the two of us, we were finally able to get the frozen folded belt threaded properly, only after I remembered that I had drawn a diagram of it's routing in a notebook that I keep in the truck.

With a good used water-pump, new belt, and enough coolant to get by on a cold day, although wetter'n a drownded rat, I was back in business.(around here, they pronounce it "drownded")

My next stop was at the first Advance store that I saw, where I promptly got the life-time warranty pump replaced for free.

NAPA had another new $56 belt to put back in the tool-box for the next emergency.

I am in no way blowing my own horn; but, about 99.9% of drivers caught in the same situation would have had to resort to a tow-truck to get the vehicle home.

I am not prepared for every situation; I don't carry a spare DANA-70(although I do have one), nor do I carry a spare engine(got that too), but I do try to be as self-sufficient as possible.

It cost me no more to fix the problem on the road in the pouring rain, and I was not out a wrecker-bill.

One thing I intend to do, hopefully before the next episode, is to get a half-dozen extra water-pump bolts, put them in a pill-bottle, and wire the bottle to the spare pump.

I also intend to permanent-mark the proper wrench size on that bottle.

It would also be a big benefit to have studs/nuts, instead of bolts, to make tedious roadside installation much easier.

Had I have dropped and lost one of the bolts, it could very well have been disastrous.

Once, I did drop and lose a bolt on the highway outside Lubbock,Texas, searched for it over an hour, and finally managed to steal/borrow a workable one from a less sensitive accessory that could do without it.

After that episode, I always carry one of those big HarborFreight magnet-on-a-sticks.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you got lucky! i keep tools in my truck but to have an extra waterpump? no way! i have a extra belt with me but thats it. i NEVER buy anything for my cummins from a cheap auto parts store like that. i hope that experience has taught you to pay the extra money for quality parts. lifetime replacement doesnt mean **** when your in that same position again.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pay $1.67 a month extra on my insurance for towing. I'd make that pump swap in my heated and dry garage. But, Congrats on getting back on the road.

*JMHO, the water pumps from cummins hold up allot longer.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:30 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BearKiller
NAPA had another new $56 belt to put back in the tool-box for the next emergency.
After a month or so, swap the "spare" belt for the "used" one on the engine. Put the "used" one back in the dog house box for the next rainy or cold day. Belts that are broken in are WAY easier to work with than a new one. New ones have a habit of snapping in the cold occasionally before being broke in.

My .02

Good on ya for being self sufficiant.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:59 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Ever notice how stuff like that never happens when it's 70 degrees and sunny?

You bring "prepared" to a whole new level. I thought I was doing well to have tools, a used belt, and a fresh fuel filter.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:45 AM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I usually bring my lunch pail. Does that count? Been there done that. I like being able to do things on my own with no help from anybody. If I can fix it beside the road I will. I like to do things my way at my speed with no supervisers.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
New ones have a habit of snapping in the cold occasionally before being broke in.

Your brand of "cold" or mine ??

Who makes the Cummins supplied pump ??

It was kinda funny; while I was sitting on the interstate, in the down-pour, with the hood raised, standing on the bumper with my head poked in there, this cop stops, flips his blue-lights on, and asks me if I have a cell-phone, I said NO, then he asks if I wanted a wrecker and I said not yet and he just drove away; I guess that goes on his book as a "motorist assist".
Old 12-13-2008, 09:45 AM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
No cell phone! I won't sit on the jon with out one. I am like a smoker with no smokes if I don't have my phone.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Must be the full moon.

Just got back from a 775 mile trip last night and this morning, I hear a chirp under the hood. Take a look and the WP pulley is walking in and out about 3/8" and I smell coolant. Coolant is down about 6". I limp to O'Reillys and buy a new one for $60 and change. Heading out now to put it on. Just glad it got me home and that I caught it before I left again next week.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Banned

The Cummins pumps say "concnetric- England" on them. Not sure where to get them other than Cummins. If I ever have a WP go out, it's not getting parts store junk, that's for sure.

Good on ya to get it going on the side of the road in a downpour. Stuff like that usually happens at the worst time in the worst weather.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by 92roughstock
The Cummins pumps say "concnetric- England" on them.

That is exactly what the spare pump that I installed says on the big pulley, so it must have been the original.

I guess I will leave it on the engine and keep the brand-new one from Advance in the tool-box for emergencies; it says AirTex or somesuch on the box.

I am going to loose the belt, remove the bolts, coat them with anti-sieze, and re-install them; I don't want to have to fight a rusty mess the next time.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:20 PM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You rock, BK. I'd a had it towed, even if I had the parts on-hand.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ace
You rock, BK. I'd a had it towed, even if I had the parts on-hand.

A poor man has poor man's ways; a tow bill would have knocked our Christmas in the head.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:25 PM

A side note: a Goodyear Gatorback belt from Autozone runs about $30.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

Water pumps are not something I'd buy at the parts store. I'd go down to the dealer and order an OE one. Some things are worth paying the OE price for. Its probably getting close to time for a water pump for me, this thread shall be a good reminder for me to go and order one and get it on hand for later.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Episode