1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Warm blooded Dodge!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warm blooded Dodge!

Hey guys I have a question for you. I have a 92 D-350 Cummins with a auto trans. I have a remote starter and if the outside temp is between 40 and 50 degrees the remote starter will not start the truck. When you activate the remote the motor will cycle then quit. Even if I key start it when the temps are around 40 degrees it cycles for only a short time. Now I read it may be the air intake heaters the charge air temp sensor or the air temp switch ksb solenoid. Also how would I test each component in order not to just go out and plop a small fortune down to the Dodge dealer.
What do you think?
Old 10-01-2003, 12:49 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Warm blooded Dodge!

What do you mean "..... the motor will cycle..." ???

The KSB is not responsible for the starting of the truck. It's sole purpose in life is to wait for a signal from the temp sensor. When it gets one the KSB activates, closes off the return fuel line which increases internal pump pressure. That results in more timing advance, less smoke and higher idle till it stops getting it's "signal".
The grid heaters receive a signal from it's temp sensor. This will tell the heaters to come on and/or how long to stay on for.
The minimum is around 5 seconds and the max is about 20-30 seconds in real cold weather. This happens while the "wait to start" light is showing.

I wonder if your remote start is trying to crank the engine while the heaters are being activated.... if that is the case then those little boogers suck megajuice from the battery.
Trying to crank while that kind of draw is happening is not likely to work unless the heaters "end cycle" in time for the starter to get up enough speed to fire the engine.
Even when the engine is running the heaters will draw down enormous amounts of juice. Your alternator gauge will do a face plant each time they cycle on/off.
Some of the remote starters are "used with diesels" and have a delay to allow the heaters, or in the case of other makes, glow plugs to cycle before trying to crank the engine.

OH BTW, I REALLY SUCK at electrical but these are the basics.
Look at the intake manifold. You'll see one sensor that runs a wire to the KSB and one that runs the heaters grids. Make sure all your contacts on the plugs are clean and lubed with dielectric grease... remove, clean and re-attach your battery terminals. Clean up the single little ground wire from the Neg. teminal to the front grille mount. Then for good measure add a length of "0" or "1" gauge wire from the Neg terminal to the engine block and or good frame contact. These truck need it.

Pastor Bob......."... oh ye of little faith....harken unto the Cummins diesel and thou shalt have everlasting smilies..."...