1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

w250 front leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok good deal, I was leaning that way anyhow.

And yes, I have seen the groover from the eye hitting the frame. My drivers side is pretty bad.

But soon now more rub and stage coach rides, I hope.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:00 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by comotionman
This seems to be an issue with just about every lift spring out there. With a positive arch the spring needs to be shorter to be used with anything close to stock shackle length. The reason being that the positive arch lift spring will grow In length under compression. With the spring eye right up against the frame there is no room for the shackle to swing back to allow spring compression and you get spring bind. Stock springs are flat at best and under compression go into a negative arch and the shackle swings forward as the spring length shortens. Biltit, it appears that your spring eyes are up against the frame and I believe you are experiencing spring bind. I bet you have witness marks on the frame from the eye hitting it. I would recommend a longer set of shackles to allow the springs to compress as necessary for good articulation and the ride quality should be greatly enhanced. Gasgano, same story, put a long enough shackle on that allows articulation without bind.
I have given this quite a bit of thought over the last couple months. This is exactly my conclusion. I am considering a Chevy 52" 1/2 ton rear spring swap on mine. That is after I get the rest sorted out.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60
Ok, now another question...

Which shackles do I use, Jungles or CustomSuspension?

Both seem well built, but the shackles that came with the parabolic springs are an inch or so longer than the jungle shackles. Do I use the ones that came with the springs?

Right now my frame is on blocks, the axle is being held up by the springs themselves. Super stiff, they didn't budge, but there is still such a small gap between the frame and the leaf(using jungles shackles) that I wonder if I should swap 'em out.

I'll be picking up shocks today. Think I may just put shocks on and see how it sits and rides first.

Anyone else have this issue?
I have a set of the parabolics on my crewcab. The company that makes them is local to me. So I have had a chance to talk to them in person about these springs. They include the new shackles because the added travel of the spring requires a longer shackle to negate the chance of the eye's binding on the frame.
Old 06-21-2014, 08:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
This seems to be an issue with just about every lift spring out there. With a positive arch the spring needs to be shorter to be used with anything close to stock shackle length. The reason being that the positive arch lift spring will grow In length under compression. With the spring eye right up against the frame there is no room for the shackle to swing back to allow spring compression and you get spring bind. Stock springs are flat at best and under compression go into a negative arch and the shackle swings forward as the spring length shortens. Biltit, it appears that your spring eyes are up against the frame and I believe you are experiencing spring bind. I bet you have witness marks on the frame from the eye hitting it. I would recommend a longer set of shackles to allow the springs to compress as necessary for good articulation and the ride quality should be greatly enhanced. Gasgano, same story, put a long enough shackle on that allows articulation without bind.
Yup

longer shackles fixed it (but my homebrew deals are nowhere near as nice as Jungles...functional though)
Old 06-22-2014, 09:32 AM

This makes me wonder if I should drill the holes for my shackle pivots farther back on the frame a bit form the stock location. I will take a closer look at that when I get that far. I know there isn't much room though.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I have a set of the parabolics on my crewcab. The company that makes them is local to me. So I have had a chance to talk to them in person about these springs. They include the new shackles because the added travel of the spring requires a longer shackle to negate the chance of the eye's binding on the frame.
maybe the extra wheelbase and weight of the crew cab works better than a standard cab with a shorter wheelbase with those springs?
Old 06-22-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=mknittle;3241046]This makes me wonder if I should drill the holes for my shackle pivots farther back on the frame a bit form the stock location. I will take a closer look at that when I get that far. I know there isn't much room though.[/QUOTE.

It would be easier to move the spring hangers forward.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=comotionman;3241048]
Originally Posted by mknittle
This makes me wonder if I should drill the holes for my shackle pivots farther back on the frame a bit form the stock location. I will take a closer look at that when I get that far. I know there isn't much room though.[/QUOTE.

It would be easier to move the spring hangers forward.
I am in the middle of a 4X4 conversion so that helps. I have already made front spring hangers with two mounting positions. one stock and another 2" forward for longer springs. When I get to the rear, since there are no holes yet it will be easy to move back from the stock position as long as there is room.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t314771p6.html

post#77 are the parts I am using.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:48 PM

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,577 Posts
[QUOTE=mknittle;3241052]
I am in the middle of a 4X4 conversion so that helps. I have already made front spring hangers with two mounting positions. one stock and another 2" forward for longer springs. When I get to the rear, since there are no holes yet it will be easy to move back from the stock position as long as there is room.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t314771p6.html

post#77 are the parts I am using.
When I saw your front spring hangers with the two holes, I smiled and thought that would solve some of the issues being discussed here.
I had to install some custom made 1/2 inch longer rear of the front spring shackles to get the 8 year old, 6 inch Skyjacker springs from hitting the frame on compression.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:04 PM

[QUOTE=oliver foster;3241112]
Originally Posted by mknittle

When I saw your front spring hangers with the two holes, I smiled and thought that would solve some of the issues being discussed here.
I had to install some custom made 1/2 inch longer rear of the front spring shackles to get the 8 year old, 6 inch Skyjacker springs from hitting the frame on compression.
I made one set with one hole. but after some thought I figured I would be better off changing my design and doing it once. The problem with me is by tine I get around to doing what I was going to do I change my mind and redesign the whole thing
Old 06-22-2014, 09:13 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
FWIW, when I had my front springs re-done, re arched and new heavier main spring, even with the old springs in front of them, they miscalculated the length of the springs, and they were hitting the frame like above. THey simply took the springs back, reworked they eye where it should have been, and gave them back.

This overextension of the spring is simply due to lack of planning on the part of the shop. Since I brought them the springs, they couldn't measure the truck itself, as it was 40 minutes from them. THey had to "wing" the length based upon the original springs. Once the weight of the front of the truck is placed on the springs, and they settle down, it was the first step to realizing something was wrong. The truck really has to be there to make the springs right the first time, simply to get the most accurate measurements.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:18 AM

Front shackles

Originally Posted by Jungle
Yup, thats how it's done on a 4X4 frame. I don't have a 2WD conversion template yet but if I can get a section of 2WD frame I'll make some.
Jim
Would like to get a kit from jungle not sure how to get ahold of him
Old 06-06-2018, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Briansand
Would like to get a kit from jungle not sure how to get ahold of him
Go to [RCC] Ram Charger Central.com he will be in the vendor section, send him a message there or a PM.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
Go to [RCC] Ram Charger Central.com he will be in the vendor section, send him a message there or a PM.
went there and tried to register but there was no picture to get the numbers from to complete the registration
Old 06-06-2018, 08:48 AM

I registered over at RCC almost 10 years ago.
I can't remember what I had to do to sign up.

He comes over here to visit a bit as well, so I am sure you could reach out to him here at DTR as well.

Quick Reply: w250 front leaf springs