1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A Very important question re: engine rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Very important question re: engine rpm

I have the 366 (3200rpm) spring installed. At no load, I can rev it up to 3200RPM (my accelerator linkage is already hitting the cam stop) when I floor it. However, when accelerating in the freeway, from crusing speed, like from 65mph at 2300 rpm, when I floor it, it only goes up to 2500rpm, and never beyond. What's the deal?
Old 02-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Received 563 Likes on 412 Posts
Originally Posted by ClassA4x4
I have the 366 (3200rpm) spring installed. At no load, I can rev it up to 3200RPM (my accelerator linkage is already hitting the cam) when I floor it. However, when accelerating in the freeway, from crusing speed, like from 65mph at 2300 rpm, when I floor it, it only goes up to 2500rpm, and never beyond. What's the deal?
There are many factors that go into determining max RPM's, like weight, grade, gear ratio, general condition of truck, fuel supply,air supply , tire size to name a few. If you can get 3200 with no load, I would say it's working...Mark
Old 02-16-2011, 05:27 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Back the high RPM stop screw out a bit and you can get more RPM under load.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
Back the high RPM stop screw out a bit and you can get more RPM under load.
I have done that, but the cam stop is preventing the accelerator rod to go back any further. And if I shorten the rod, my low idle cam stop will engage and the idle will be too high. Seems there's something wrong with my setup?

I tried to fix the problem by modifying the throttle index; however, one tick mark amounts to 700 rpm difference, and the idle screw has to be moved forward about an inch to for proper idle - that's way far off from how it was in the donor vehicle.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:53 PM

whats next ?

Hi guys im new here and im looking for some advise. I want to make more power but i dont want to spend a bunch more. Here a list of what has been done
injection pump modifide
DDP stage 4 injectors
B1 turbo
4 inch exhaust
ASE intake
exhaust manifold has been ported
Im about to get a South Bend Clutch but after that i dont know what to do iv thought about a camshaft or maybe stepping up to the 3600 RPM govener spring or maybe having my head ported and polished
Old 02-16-2011, 08:37 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have done that, but the cam stop is preventing the accelerator rod to go back any further. And if I shorten the rod, my low idle cam stop will engage and the idle will be too high. Seems there's something wrong with my setup?

I tried to fix the problem by modifying the throttle index; however, one tick mark amounts to 700 rpm difference, and the idle screw has to be moved forward about an inch to for proper idle - that's way far off from how it was in the donor vehicle.
Move the linkage on the pump to the next hole in.

Name:  vepumppicturethrottlelinkagewithtex.jpg
Views: 3524
Size:  125.1 KB

Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 PM

[QUOTE=Richie O;2925672]Move the linkage on the pump to the next hole in.

Name:  vepumppicturethrottlelinkagewithtex.jpg
Views: 3580
Size:  125.1 KB

.[/QUOTE

I think that only applies to trucks with manual transmissions. If I use that hole, where will I hook the return spring for the throttle valve cable?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:17 PM
366 Spring Chicken

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have it that way on all 3 of my trucks. 89 with and auto and the 92 and 93 with a stick. That picture is not of my truck, just one I stole somewhere. I just moved the spring like above I think. My trucks are covered in 2 feet of snow so I can't go look.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a 92 auto and I've got mine the same way. Just move the spring. I removed the high rpm screw altogether .
Old 02-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by DLittle
I've got a 92 auto and I've got mine the same way. Just move the spring. I removed the high rpm screw altogether .
I didn't remove my screw, but it's backed out far enough that the throttle is at full travel with a nice gap between the stop and the end of the screw. Mine is set up the same as in the pic', and I have an auto.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by KD93
I didn't remove my screw, but it's backed out far enough that the throttle is at full travel with a nice gap between the stop and the end of the screw. Mine is set up the same as in the pic', and I have an auto.

OK, so where do you hook the return spring for the throttle valve cable for the transmission? It's at the pump side of the lever. Here's a pic from the FSM. At the end of the slot there is a spring whose other end is attached to the hole that you're recommending. Wiithout the spring it'd just flop around causing problems.
Attached Thumbnails A Very important question re: engine rpm-linkage.jpg  
Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 AM

When I get home, and if I remember, , I'll take a photo of my mess.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My spring for the tv cable is hooked up to the hole in the throttle lever that you can see the other spring in the picture hooked up to. It won't hurt anything.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 92betsy
My spring for the tv cable is hooked up to the hole in the throttle lever that you can see the other spring in the picture hooked up to. It won't hurt anything.
But the spring would then cross over to the other side of the rod, I'm sure it'd cause some interference. I think a piece of metal with a hole can be inserted with the ball nut of the accelerator rod or a small hole drilled beside it, and that could be used for the other end of the TV cable spring.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But the spring would then cross over to the other side of the rod, I'm sure it'd cause some interference. I think a piece of metal with a hole can be inserted with the ball nut of the accelerator rod or a small hole drilled beside it, and that could be used for the other end of the TV cable spring.
Yeah it crosses under the rod but never had any problem been like that for a while now. It barley touches the rod and moves freely.

Quick Reply: A Very important question re: engine rpm