1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Vegoil Conversion: Ramcharger Fuel Tank: Removal/ Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vegoil Conversion: Ramcharger Fuel Tank: Removal/ Installation Questions

Step one on the trek to veggie conversion is an auxilliary fuel tank, and it's my understanding that the Trailduster and Ramcharger fuel tanks fit just fine.

However, to those of you with Ramcharger and Trailduster experience, I address a question. How are the tanks installed in the vehicles? Are the frame crossmembers bolted in or welded in? And what are the common years?

I'm asking because I want to know what I need to take to the junkyard to get out the tank.

Subsequently, what will I need to do in order to prep the tank for Diesel fuel use? I can imagine that any gasoline residue will just absorb into the Diesel fuel without any consequences. Also, do the SUV tanks have an internal pump?

Thank you very much to any answers.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You do lose the spare tire mount.

The tanks fit, but you need to come up with a fuel filler system.

Crossmembers are riveted in.

Last year for the RC was '93. The last 3 or 4 years were EFI and would have in-tank pumps. The plastic tanks (good) started in the late 70's.

Just dump out the gas.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

So the best course of action would be to grind off the rivets and then the bolt the cross members onto the Dodge frame?

I can imagine that an in-tank pump would be a liability with Diesel fuel, correct?

You're saying that all of the tanks are plastic? Would plastic tanks be veggie oil safe? (I think that the auxilliary tanks going to turn into the Diesel tank anyhow, though.)

As for the spare tire mount: if I were to get a flat, I don't think I'd even bother with that darn thing. By the time I'd get that jack out of there, get that tire out, break the old tire off and put the new one on, I could probably have called AAA. Of course, if the tire was in the bed, it would be eaisier.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Yep. Or have the guys at the wrecking yard torch them out. Bolting them in is perfectly acceptable.

I would not use the in-tank pump. The mechanical pump on the engine is 99.9% reliable, which you can't say about an electric pump.

The plastic tank will be fine with whatever you want to dump in it. Plastic tanks are way better than steel tanks. No rust problems and they are safer in an accident.

You can get a mount kit to put the spare in the bed, standing up behind one of the wheelwells. That will secure the tire and keep it out of the way.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I would not use the in-tank pump. The mechanical pump on the engine is 99.9% reliable, which you can't say about an electric pump.
Which reminds me, is the stock lift pump good at pumping veggie, or should I swap in the piston pump for a better fit with the more viscious fuel?

And how much money do you think a tank would run?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:28 PM
Adminstrator-ess

I would be more concerned about the veggie oil eating the diaphragm in the stock LP.

Check the prices for yourself. http://www.car-part.com
Old 04-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Banned

Dave, you deserve a plaque or something similar.

Thank you for the website; first time I've seen a junkyard database that actually functions well. It lists tanks from $100.00.

So, what's the common solution for keeping the veggie from eating the stock diaphragm? Would a piston pump have that problem? (I realize that the answer to that question is probably pretty eaisily found, but this thread seems to becoming rather conclusive.)

I'd like to have the filler neck out of the license plate, but that'd be much to low, wouldn't it?

Now that I'm thinking up questions; is there any vehicle that has a valve that we can use for an auxilliary tank? I think that most of the Fords and kin are hard-plumbed auxilliaries, right?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:47 PM
Adminstrator-ess

You know the saying about giving a man a fish, right?

The piston pump would be the way to go, I was trying to nudge you in that direction.

The coolest way to do the filler would be to cut the door and the filler neck bulge out of another Dodge pickup and weld them in the bed side where you need them.

You can get switching valves for aux. tanks from JC Whitney.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

You've given us a lot of fish over the years. Kind of like Jesus you are, Dave... You take a few fish and we end up with a bunch.

Anyways, since I'm hopefully going to finally get my truck painted, I think that I might be able to do a classy Ford-style second fuel door. That'd be cool.

Any idea as to what the keywords would be for JC Whitney? This here's the only one I could find, for $80.00.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...=tank+selector

That'd work, but I was thinking of going 1/4 inch inner diameter for the veggie oil just because I could. Bit pricey too.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:29 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Sometimes I'm not sure if you're baiting me or if you're really that slow...

That selector looks like the one I've seen in their catalog. Northern Hydraulic has them too, I think. I know you fear the big "G", but run a few keywords from the JC Whitney listing through Froogle and see what you can find.

I'm trying to teach you to fish.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:09 PM
REALLY old dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hey Dave, are we doing this bunch in beer batter?
Old 04-10-2006, 11:19 AM

wait, what's the worry about veg oil?

Begle1,

are you doing full on veg oil, or biodiesel? if you're doing full veg, and that's what it would seem, if you're going with a second tank, you've got nothing to worry about the veg eating gaskets. It's the addatives in biodiesel that are the danger there.

and, thus, a plastic tank wouldn't be a problem either.

I assume you've seen my crazy (expensive) set up, where I got a second tank specifically made and put in the bed? Check my photos.

And, my stock lift pump is pulling the veg from back there (even when I didn't vent it properly!) with no problems... I don't see the need for a second pump.

Tys

Last edited by tyssniffen; 04-10-2006 at 11:21 AM. Reason: more thoughts
Old 04-10-2006, 11:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm currently puting a Ramcharger tank in my truck, just came in from working on it in fact.

You need the tank, filler neck and both crossmembers. A skid plate is a good idea as well as it hangs pretty low. Not a big deal if you never go offroad but I do a lot of backcountry camping so its nice to have. The straps from my donor are toast so I'm going to have to fab some.

I ended up welding the Ramcharger crossmenbers in as it seemed much easier than drilling all the holes in the frame. Everybody says its a bolt in but that's not really true.

The valve from JCwhitney is the one you want but its WAY overpriced. I found it local for $30 less and no shipping.

If I get a chance I'll take some pics.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
How much does a Ramcharger tank hold?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
How much does a Ramcharger tank hold?
34 gallons; the stock tank is 30 or 32 gallons.

I'm planning on doing a veggie oil set-up. Basically because I don't have the time, energy or space to make bioDiesel, although that's what I'd rather do.

Maybe I'll get to the dump tomorrow. $80.00 for 400 miles really is getting old. I could nearly be driving a big block, high comp gasser.

Quick Reply: Vegoil Conversion: Ramcharger Fuel Tank: Removal/ Installation Questions