1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Universal Parallel Flow Condenser in a 1st gen I/C??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal Parallel Flow Condenser in a 1st gen I/C??

Hi folks. LOONG time lurker, first time poster. thanks to everyone for the tons of useful information I've gleaned from here over the last few years!!

my question -- has anyone ever put a Universal Parallel Flow Condenser in their 1st gen I/C rig? what fitment problems did you have? how did you route the lines?

i am about to replace my lines, etc....and was looking at using a universal condenser instead of the stock parallel (actually a piccolo-style) for a couple of reasons (a - parallel are the most efficient, and b - i can get rid of ALL of the block-style connectors and switch to o-ring everywhere (Bouchillon sells an adapter to convert the expansion valve over to o-ring).

i realize that i can have my existing hardlines on the condenser cut and have o-ring connectors welded on, but I wanted to fully investigate this option first.

thanks for your input!
--matt
Old 08-17-2015, 09:59 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Welcome to the board. i was going to go this route myself on the crewcab when it was 2wd and running a Non-IC motor. Got part way through it and then never did finish it.

Can't say I've come across anyone who has done what you are asking about though.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 AM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
My I/C is a 1991.5 and it has a ribbon condenser which works quite well.

M
Old 08-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I have a 1991 with non intercooled engine and I replaced mine with one from O'Reillys for my truck by part number and I got parallel flow style, after a few misshaps and a few dings, the condenser was a perfect fit.

I think I had to convert the bolt on the manifold to metric
Old 08-18-2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
I have a 1991 with non intercooled engine and I replaced mine with one from O'Reillys for my truck by part number and I got parallel flow style, after a few misshaps and a few dings, the condenser was a perfect fit.

I think I had to convert the bolt on the manifold to metric
hi jim

i've been looking at the I/C version of that condenser (murray 6972) at o'reillys as well. it's about $130. i found a cheaper model from rockauto, but like you, i'd like to be able to inspect it before bringing it home and am willing to pay a little extra for local support. i've scoured the net and haven't found anyone who has dropped in a universal model. i suspect there is a reason for that besides the stock replacement. there is so little room between the grille and condenser on a I/C model....

i read through one of your threads and am planning on doing the same basic thing, sans the clutch relay. i want as many easy-to-replace hoses and a/c parts on this rig as possible, as aftermarket support for these is almost non-existent if one ever needed replaced in nowheresville. i have a small quantity of r12 on hand, and i am NOT wasting it on old or suspect parts. i figure if i'm going to do it, i might as well give it the strong fix.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:06 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Since your playing with a/c

It's been noted before, but the catalogs online all for these trucks pull up the 94-2002 expansion valve. If you want the correct one, type in "1985 dodge truck".
And then the part description will be "72-1993 dodge truck/van".

M
Old 08-20-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by samiam4
Since your playing with a/c

It's been noted before, but the catalogs online all for these trucks pull up the 94-2002 expansion valve. If you want the correct one, type in "1985 dodge truck".
And then the part description will be "72-1993 dodge truck/van".

M
thanks for reminding me. i've been through that mess with my RC and i'd rather NOT do that again. they also like to get the one with the cutoff switch on the wrong side.

i pulled the grille off and took a good look - you can get a universal condenser under there, but some custom hardlines will have to be fabricated to route around the intercooler. probably just easier at this point to get the stock-replacement 6mm style and have the block connector converted over.

--matt
Old 09-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Hey Matt welcome to DTR.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by ofelas
Hey Matt welcome to DTR.
hello! fancy meeting you here!