1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Truck dead until I turn driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck dead until I turn driveshaft?

New to forum, been reading for a while but now I have a problem I can't fig out.
93 w250 bought as project truck, put 350 axles in although I don't think the axles have anything to do with it..truck will be completely dead only thing that will work is oil light but if I turn the driveshaft to the left or right 1/2 inch power restores itself and I can hear the wait to start buzzer and truck will usually start.once I cut it off sometimes it will start again but usually it's back to being dead. Truck has new battery and I've cleaned ground cable. The previous owner put a nv4500 in so I'm wondering if he forgot something. I've noticed 3 plugs hanging doing nothing like it was a auto to manual swap but I think it's always been manual. One plug is blue / black and orange / white the other plug green / black and orange black and the last plug is purple black and white Never noticed truck not starting before axle swap but it's a project so I didn't start it to often.
And yes my reverse doesn't work wrong plug in trans. Thanks any ideas
Old 05-31-2016, 07:20 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
My first guess would be the transmission wiring harness. Neutral safety switch to narrow it down.
Somebody swapped the Getrag for the NV4500 and did some "creative" wireing to get it to run IMHO.

IIRC. the three plugs are from the longest speedometer, transfercase 4wd light and the neutral switch.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I looked in the '93 FSM it shows
Blue/black & orange/white is the vehicle speed sensor
Purple/black & white is backup lights
I haven't found the green/black & orange/black. The manual shows transfer case plug to be light green/brown & black/tan
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 AM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
It sounds to me like you are completing a ground circuit by turning the driveshaft, getting contact on the gears.

Getrag equipped trucks had a clutch switch for the starter so you would have to press the clutch pedal for them to start. It was located under the dash by the clutch master cylinder. It completed the ground for the starter relay.

The automatic trucks used the center terminal of a neutral safety switch to complete the ground for the relay through the transmission case. This is a round rubbery type of plug with no locking tabs. The outside wires are for the reverse lights and the center wire is the ground for the starter relay.
The following users liked this post:
oliver foster (05-31-2016)
Old 05-31-2016, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies . Thomasg u are correct on the colors I was going off a pic I took and prob got colors wrong. So it seems to have been narrowed down to neutral switch which from the old getrag plugs is not any of those 3 plugs but is near the clutch pedal. I've seen the white wire attached to clutch and it looks fine is that the wire I need to chase?
Old 05-31-2016, 02:35 PM

Received 262 Likes on 163 Posts
If you have an ohm meter or continuity tester that white wire should go to one of the terminals on the starter relay, that's the ground wire. The relay should work like this, one battery hot wire, one wire (brown I think) goes to the starter solenoid (smaller wire) one wire, should be hot with the ignition in the cranking position, then the last wire is the ground. You can ground that wire and everything should work but be careful because it will start in gear.