1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Transmission Swap Has Begun (518-360)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front is too tight. I had to have mine cut back and add a little to the shaft to the carrier bearing cost me about 150.00 to have it done at a shop.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:43 PM

Woo Woo!

I drove it around the block. Ran and shifted good!

Also, the first time I started it up after over 2 months, it started within the first revolution and ran like a top!

I still have some issues to iron out, mainly with wiring, but dang...feels good!
Old 06-11-2010, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congratulations!!! Glad you finally got it finished!...well drivable...
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Feels good taking the 1st test drive.

Mine was down for a month doing the swap.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:28 AM

good job man! Tally up the hours for kicks!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:41 PM

congrats man, glad to hear it
Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 AM

Well, I drove it around the neighborhood quite a bit yesterday...up to the store, etc...

First impressions:

The truck fired straight up on the first turn of the key...a tribute to the engine, I must say.

I grounded out the neutral safety wire to the frame, and I have no clutch safety switch...one time yesterday I just got in and turned the key and the truck was in first...it just took off...lol...have to be careful.

Even though I installed the speedo sending unit, I've got no speedo. I might have tightened it too much, or it might have gotten off center or something...have to look into that.

I have a little more vibration in the drivetrain than I did with the auto. Yesterday when i was parking it, I couldn't help but notice sitting in the driveway at idle, she vibrated a little. When I revved the motor, it vibrated a little bit more. Now, I need to go out and play with it a bit, find out if it does it in gear, in neutral, with the clutch in, etc...I hope it's nothing major, but I'm a little concerned right now.

I had apparently lost the shifter alignment bolts. Grrr. Can't help but think I left them in the donor truck when I sold it. At any rate, I found 2 bolts that'd work, but they still have the heads on them, and that's probably going to prevent the tightest of the shifter boots to go on. Not sure if I should cut them, or modify the shifter boot...and I'm also not sure if it would be possible to find the alignment bolts anywhere...and finally, I'm not sure how tight I should make the bolts I installed...it went into gears fine when I was driving it yesterday, but sometimes it seemed to get lost between gears a bit.

At any rate, today I need to tidy up a bit...mainly under the dash, but I do have a few other areas to address:

Under dash I had to cut some wires that I had routed through places where 5 speed components now reside.

Have to finish the shifter install...put the boots on, etc...

Have to install the 5 wire trailer harness (my boat has a 5th wire for the brake override/surge brakes).

Have to wash the beast.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice, looks like your almost complete!

As for the alignment bolts or set screws, they have them at a place called fastenal, since your in nj it shouldn't be too hard to find them. Also Manny Moe & Jack might have them, they seem to have alot of hard to find screws and stuff like that now, by where they keep the spraypaint.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:01 PM

i can can look in the truck if ya want me to send em to ya
Old 06-14-2010, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by johndeere01
i can can look in the truck if ya want me to send em to ya
That would be awesome! I could really use them.

Ok, so I still have 2 major issues...well, they seem major to me at least.

I've probably put 100 miles on the truck since I got it back on the road.

First and foremost, I have a vibration that was definitely not there before.

At idle the vibration is noticably, but not bad. When you give it a little juice, she's much more noticable. This happens clutch in, clutch out, in gear under power, out of gear revving in neutral....all the time. Part of me thinks that the flywheel isn't properly balanced, but that's just really a guess. I had it cut, but who knows...

Also, I have no speedo at the moment. The speedo worked in the donor truck before the swap, my speedo worked before the swap, but I put the new style wired speedo on the old transfer case and she doesn't work. I even took it all apart yesterday and put it back together and it still doesn't work.

Also, I have no AC. Gotta track down some R15.

At any rate, it's nice to drive it again...but I wish I didn't have the driveline vibration I do. It's pretty annoying, and especially noticable downshifting.