1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tranny oil for my VE pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny oil for my VE pump?

I've heard this rumer that if you put tranny oil in your fuel tank that it will help lube and prolong the life of your VE pump becouse that pump uses fuel to lubericate it self.

Has anyone else heard this?
Old 05-10-2006, 05:43 AM
edy

yes i have herd of people doing this i have not tried it my self i would like to know ifit would work good for the vp pump on the 24 valves
Old 05-10-2006, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The trouble is ATF wasn't made to be burned with the fuel, it will probably leave deposits on/in the injector that just shouldn't be there.

I know guys that have run 2cylce oil to lube the pumps on different things, but I stick with a power service myself.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:39 AM

I don't us ATF in the fuel tank but when i change my fuel filter i add it to the new fuel filter. ATF is a hi detergent oil so it seems to me that it would clean and lube but, JD730 comment allso make sence, if you used it all the time it just might. If you use a fuel additive you get the lube and the inj tip clean in one bottle......But as for my fuel filter changes i'll stick with ATF.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forgot something, ATF is red at least most of the stuff I've seen is and I imagine it would turn the fuel red if you used enough of it. I don't think its worth the hassle if you ever got your fuel checked and explaining its ATF and not off-road fuel.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by JD730
I forgot something, ATF is red at least most of the stuff I've seen is and I imagine it would turn the fuel red if you used enough of it. I don't think its worth the hassle if you ever got your fuel checked and explaining its ATF and not off-road fuel.

Never thought about that!
Old 05-10-2006, 08:26 AM

I've also heard of people adding Marvel Mystery Oil as a fuel additive. It is made to be burned....
Old 05-10-2006, 08:34 AM

I'm with JD730, use something that is made for it like power service. ATF is for the trans, not the fuel system. People are always looking for homebrew type fixes, but for what these trucks cost to fix when something goes wrong just use a good fuel additive and go on.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:48 AM

Thumbs down Atf

Using ATF in your fuel will only lead to a VE pump rebuild, reseal or worse. Stick with a fuel additive like Power Service or Standyne. I've run Standyne from the first tank of fuel and have never had any problems.

Iv'e heard the same thing for years, add a little red to your fuel and clean er out. DON'T DO IT. If it was a good idea, Cummins would endorse it. When changing my fuel filter I add a good dose of Standyne to the filter and start the old girl up.

In the summer time I run the mixture as perscribed on the bottle, winter time I run a little heavier sometimes to lower the gel point. Winter fuel doesn't run that well anyway.

For what it's worth, save yourself big problems later on. Running no additive is better than adding ATF to your fuel.

Just my opinion.

Jim
Old 05-10-2006, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jims92CTD
Using ATF in your fuel will only lead to a VE pump rebuild, reseal or worse. Stick with a fuel additive like Power Service or Standyne. I've run Standyne from the first tank of fuel and have never had any problems.

Iv'e heard the same thing for years, add a little red to your fuel and clean er out. DON'T DO IT. If it was a good idea, Cummins would endorse it. When changing my fuel filter I add a good dose of Standyne to the filter and start the old girl up.

In the summer time I run the mixture as perscribed on the bottle, winter time I run a little heavier sometimes to lower the gel point. Winter fuel doesn't run that well anyway.

For what it's worth, save yourself big problems later on. Running no additive is better than adding ATF to your fuel.

Just my opinion.

Jim
Amen to that, especially the line about "if it was a good idea, Cummins would endorse it". More people need to understand that statement.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Luke S
Amen to that, especially the line about "if it was a good idea, Cummins would endorse it". More people need to understand that statement.
Are you sure about that? I would think that wouldn't endorse anything that might impact opacity...
Old 05-10-2006, 11:16 AM

I have done both trans oil and 2 cycle oil in my fuel. It doesn`t hurt a thing but if your going to lose sleep over it then its not worth doing. It will make your whole fuel system last longer. I also fill my fuel filter with it when I change filters. I am making a filter right now to filter my used trans. oil so that I can use it in my truck and my wifes VW TDI. I have a 10 micron oil filter conected to an old propane tank. Under the 10 micron filter I put a 1 micron bypass filter in line then it drops into a 5 gal.tank. The 1 micron filter is so restrictive that I am going to pressurize the propane tank to 10psi so the oil will flow thru. I will put 2-3 gal. of trans oil in, cap it off ,pressurize to 10psi and walk away. It will take 1/2hr or so to move the oil thru but when it does it will be cleaner than it was new. I have run a diesel on straight trans. oil and it ran fine you wouldn`t know the difference from regular diesel fuel unless I told you. The part about the red die is a valid concern though,as it will turn your fuel red. But that would only be visual. When they check your tank for off road they do a visual then the also do a chemical test. The red die has a chemical tracer in it that they can even pickup 2or 3 tanks after on road has been used. So if they see it is red then they will test it and if that trace chem is not there you should be ok.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by goodtyms
Are you sure about that? I would think that wouldn't endorse anything that might impact opacity...

Here is just a fact to put out there:Chry has allway preached DO NOT ADD ANY ADDITIVE TO OUR PRODUCE!
The the new common rail diesel started haveing problems with trash building up on the injectors and causing a fuel nock (made it sound like our truck. )

refer to orig statment above!
Now thaY say that we have to us stanadye to treat the problem before replaceing inj. WOOOO, WAY A MINUTE, (CHRY BIG WIG SOME WERES!)WE CAN MAKE $$$$$ $$$ OFF OF THIS, LETS SELL THAT IN A CHRYSER BOTTLE!

Stanadye bottle treats 120 Gal Chry bottle treats 30 Price diff......thay caust the same

Just my rant for the day
Old 05-10-2006, 10:50 PM

I've probably ran at least 150 gal. or more of used ATF (filtered of course) through mine this year alone. I get the stuff for free. I've ran it strait and dilluted with diesel in varing percentages, and the result is always the same. It runs fine. No mechanical issues or leaks or anything else. The only two things I see it hurts are the fuel companies not getting my money, and the dude behind me as it tends to smoke more than it does on strait diesel. The motor runs noticably quieter with the ATF too. If ATF was so terrible then I would think I would have blown up something by now. If something does blow it will be more than likley due to me hot rodding all the time, more than it will ATF.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:41 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
I agree. Trans fluid is mainly hydraulic fluid and the IP is a hydraulic system so I fail to see how there could be any damage there. If the seals held with a petroleum product like diesel fuel then they'll hold another petroleum product like tranny fluid.

As to the additives being left over after combustion, I think it's much ado about nothing. People have run filtered WVO for years with no problems so the coking problems are either a myth or they only occur when the fuel is way to high and/or the air is restricted.

If it smokes then you need more air. I've noticed mine smoking more on WVO but that's most likely due to the soot particles already present in the oil.

Edwin

Quick Reply: Tranny oil for my VE pump?