1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Traction??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traction??

I recently came across a 1993 d250 club cab. I live in central PA, and wanted a w250, but the 2wheeler is a decent price. How do these things go in the winter? i dont try any big hill climbs...lol but my wifes parents live up on a hill, so i wanna be able to make it. i plan weight and good snow tires, but i heard that the heavy engine takes weight off the rear, more so than a gas engine.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:16 AM

If its a one wheel wonder like some of us have You wont be able to get to far in snow without ALOT of weight and good snow tires... and even then its an exersice in futility (sp)

Good luck,
Michael
Old 08-19-2005, 10:56 AM

The lowend torqe makes it tough. My w250 I use 4x4 all the time in the winter just to get around

You could put a lockright in the rear to get traction from both wheels, but then it can get hairy when the rear wants to pass the front on slick stuff.

Studded tires might help a bunch if they are legal where you are.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here in Colorado we don't have the ice that you guys out east have. But I feel really confident in my 2wd in the snow. I've pulled trailers over the passes in blizzards and not had issues. You don't go fast, but you make it! Good tires and weight on the rear are the keys. The engine doesn't take weight *away* from the rear. It just adds more to the front and maybe even a little to the rear. What you really have going for you is length. It takes a lot to get the rear to whip out. Ever see a bus in a skid? Remember, this is a 6k# vehicle we're talking about. A 4wd is always nice, but the 2wd rides so much better, is easier to get in and out of, and is no doubt cheaper. The $$ is why I have a 2wd and not a 4wd.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:23 PM

I have a one wheel drive because it was my Dad's and I got it for a good price
Old 08-19-2005, 01:46 PM

Those "one wheel wonders" don't get you very far in the snow, ice or rain for that matter. - Does anyone have any info on possibly turning it into a posi traction rear?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:49 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't think posi helps much. When I have to drive my truck in the snow I do not stop when going uphill - it is impossible to get moving again. That is with 500 pounds of cinder blocks over the axle. I thought I was going to have to chain up a couple times last year. No matter how gently you ease the clutch out at idle in 1st, the back tires will just start spinning on a hill. I think an automatic would be easier to drive, and the dual rear wheels make things worse in the snow too. I don't know if studs would help any in the snow, the problem is that the tires are just floating on the snow, and the torque just blows them away even at idle.

Once it's moving it behaves OK, it will climb hills and go around corners without too much drama - as long as you don't get stupid with the skinny pedal.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
''- as long as you don't get stupid with the skinny pedal.''

I know not of what you speak

g
Old 08-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

It does do wicked donuts at idle in 4th gear.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:16 PM

The torque is what kills you in the snow, it is so easy to get the tires to spin and they just dont stop. My 91 jetta turbo diesel was the worst in the snow, just tap the gas and they lit up even with the engine on the wheels. Put a rear locker in it and some sand.

Coop
Old 08-19-2005, 06:50 PM

The last ice storm we had in TN I actually did pretty well. The one thing about one wheel drive is that it doesn't bite you. I had to drive over 8 hrs on hard packed ice to get to a rent house christmas day. I did fine everywhere but parking. You'll need momentum to climb anything steep though.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:07 PM

Hi all ......... welll I'm sure not everybody on here is a young pup but with all the 4 wheel /all wheel suv and large snowplow fleets out there most people have forgotten how to drive in snow back in the 60's and 70 we got alot more snow than we do now[oh forgot i lived on the east coast for first 42 years] and people got around with 2 wheeel drive cars why....... they knew how to drive in snow ...... never come to a full stop when possible momentem baby lower the presure on rear tires.... good tires and a bit of wieght and if you lucky enough to have a 5 speed with lots of power like Wannadiesel forget 1st start in 3rd
Old 08-19-2005, 07:16 PM

Just keep the RPM up. Don't let it start to lug. I put quite a bit of weight in the bed when I lived where it got cold. I was able to everywhere I wanted. Okla doesn't get as much snow as they do up north but we get our fair share of ice. Now I stay south of the frost line. No worries now...
Old 08-20-2005, 06:23 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally posted by fishin fever
and if you lucky enough to have a 5 speed with lots of power like Wannadiesel forget 1st start in 3rd
Believe me, 3rd is worse. You can let the clutch out slowly at idle and it will just turn the tires while the truck slides back down the hill. 1st at idle is how you get it moving on flat ground, but on a hill about all you can do is let the thing slide over to the curb. It'll bite the curb and get you moving.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:32 AM

Take a look at my gallery. I had 9 bags of 60lbs sand against the tailgate and was bearly able to go... except on time going up hill on 81 the traffic came to a stop and when it broke up I took my foot off the brake and started spinning the rear wheel. Thankfully the guy behind me (78 Blazer, beat up) didnt mind and was able to give me a small push.

Quick Reply: Traction??