1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

TPS Failures?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 04:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPS Failures?

How often do the tps units fail on these trucks? I'm getting excited about one of these as my "teaching" truck I drive to diesel mechanics class with (I learn hands on, so want something to look at and go "hey, that's what that is I learned about!")

The only thing holding me back is the weak dodge transmissions (looking at automatics) and I would have to say the TPS failing. (plus gas mileage) If they eat those like people on discount taco tuesdays at taco bell, well... I am a student after all and wouldn't want to ponying up $200 each time it breaks!

did see the $30 fixes and stuff, but that seems like a source of frustration as I don't have spare metal laying around to fab up new mounts

I'm no strange to TPS units causing issues (had a 93 F150 with water being sprayed on it courtesy of the last owner, thank god the computer went into limp home mode at least) but cost is always a issue.

I hope these trucks get the decent mpg i'm seeing around here. 18,19,20+ mpg in the city would be nice, especially with diesel fuel being so high! I have no issue driving like a slow grandpa, driving is fun anyway!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 AM

Well, you're in luck...because you're incorrect on a couple of subjects.

First, these auto trannies are NOT weak, they are some of the best and most reliable automatics ever put in a truck. The 727 is dang near legendary, and the A518 is the same trans, but with OD.

Also their ability to hold extra power is unequaled in the diesel truck world. What do I mean by that? I'll clarify. These trucks, in untouched form, probably wouldn't make 140 rwhp on a dyno (rated at 160 hp @ flywheel). This is what the trans was designed to hold...but many here are running 350 rwhp on a completely stock, hi mileage trans in a daily driver. This is over 200 additional rwhp, or more than a 150% power increase. Try that with a new diesel and you'll be picking up parts off the road for miles. Even the mighty Allison 1000 will fail if driven hard at 100 hp over stock.

Second, the TPS fix is SUPER easy once you start digging around in there and seeing what needs to happen.

Third, these trucks get some of the best fuel mileage available in a diesel truck. Over 20 mpg is common. The only truck that can hold a candle in the MPG department is a tuned LB7 Duramax.

You'll be happy with your truck. Enjoy it.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I scrapped my TPS and didn't feel like blowing $200 on a new one did the potentiometer fix for around $8. Works great and you can adjust your shift points by just turning the **** a little bit. Look in the sticky and there is a great write up on how to do it.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I do know about the 727's, a 1967 dodge D200 camper special I used to own had one. Bolted behind a 2 bbl 318 V8 with 230 horsepower.

I've just heard some less then savory stories about the transmissions being eaten for breakfast behind the cummins.

I don't have a truck yet, currently researching about them. At my core, i'm a ford guy (don't hit/hate me!) but i'm looking at the dodge camp for two reasons:

gas mileage

and something to learn as I drive

The fords in my price range aren't that good it seems on the mpg, but the cummins offers what I seek.

Having a diesel in front of me as I go through a heavy duty diesel mechanic course at a local community college will help alot also. I don't learn by watching a boring powerpoint show and maybe poking a engine sitting in a dusty corner, I learn by seeing it in front of me!

Now i'm obviously not going to dismantle my daily driver down to the block on a whim, but to be able to read a book and go "ahh hah, that's X" when I pop the hood is very nice!

I just ask about the TPS because I am a future student after all, and $200, or even $30 and a ton of fabrication work to my daily driver that needs to get to classes is a issue. Do these have high failure rates, like you replace them twice a year, or it just fails once type of thing every 15-20 years? Maybe some of you are ex students?

Hard to be studying 10-12 hours a day when the classes get deep and finding time to spend 4-5 hours (more or less) fabbing something up. Slapping a part on quickly is easier until I get my degree!

I do know about the dowel pins of death, so that would get fixed post haste when I got the vehicle also.

Not sure that I am crazy about the $8 fix. I'm in the stock, or make it look stock camp. Drilling up a dash is one of my pet peeves!

If I maybe went for broke and got a manual versus a slush box, do the manual transmissions have the TPS sensor? I'd assume not, but you never know.

And how would the MPG jump in the city if I had a manual? About the same as the automatic, or far better?
Old 03-24-2011, 02:55 PM

I've owned mine for 7+yrs no issue with the trans or tps.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:21 PM

you may have to get over that make it look stock thing, these are old trucks, some parts are real hard to find or have been discontinued, the pot fix for the tps is the easiest thing going, about 6' of three strand wire and a 2$ 5k linear potentiometer will fix any bad tps, it can be mounted anywhere, doesnt have to be a hole in the dash. These are awesome trucks with a lot of potential but sometimes you cant go to the parts store and get it, you gotta make it.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM

I've been running a 3.0 V6 gasser TPS on mine for 3 years. I did have to make a bracket to do it though. They are dirt cheap to replace & mine hasn't gone bad since . . . .unlike my ECM:-(