1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

totalled my truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry totalled my truck

So i had the injection pump go out on me a month ago, finally swapped for another one i had and got it running again, only to total it the next day, i rear endend an Avalanche at about 20ish mph and all he needs is a new tailgate and bumper!!! i know it looks fixable and not in bad shape at all. But the fact is is the frame on the drivers side is totally tweaked and the front leaf spring hanger mount is busted. so know what? anyone think its fixable? im mean im sure its possible but, it cant be cheap. I think im just gonna part it out and keep the motor and trans and stuff. Gonna find another first gen to swap the motor into.

the pics dont do the damage justice, the frame is slighlty bent down in the 3rd pic, and the 2nd you can see the rubber bumper is bent way away from the shock, the fourth pic shows where the bumper bolts all sheared off and the bumper mount slammed into the leaf spring mount and broke the welds. Also in the third pic you can see the leaf spring hanger is pinch against the frame, its suppose to be about 2inchs or more from the frame.

jason
Old 03-19-2009, 02:33 PM

heres more pics of the truck.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those frames are mild steel, what about getting an estimate from a frame shop?
I did the very same thing last summer with a motorcycle in the bed and a full load of fuel. Motorcycle was tied down 10 ways to sunday it didnt budge an inch.
I slammed into the back of some poor guys car at 35mph or so. I pushed the two cars in front of him as well. Only damage was the bumper was turned upwards and I needed a new grille.
I think the difference in damage has to do with the angle of the collision and the fact his sheet metal yielded a lot more than an avalanche's bumper would have. . In my case they all stopped short and I had nowhere to go. Still not sure how my following distance got eaten up so fast. I think I took too long doing a headcheck to the right side =(
Good luck, hope you get it fixed or score a parts truck on the cheap.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not experienced on this by any means but for the looks of the truck there isn't much damage to total it. Some body shops have a machine they use to straighten out cars that where in bad accidents, I know this bc a friend of mine does it for a living, maybe that is what You need.
As for the price, I'm sure You can find the money for it once You buy Your truck back and use the rest to pay for the frame. I sure as heck is less hassle than moving all the stuff You have to another truck.

Big bumper didn't help. Hope You get it done what ever it is You decide.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Exekiel69

Big bumper didn't help.
Big bumpers transfer the impact to the frame........
Old 03-19-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fix it...

any good shop with a frame tweaker should look at it before writing it off
Old 03-19-2009, 04:06 PM

Thanks guys, but ya the pics really dont do the tweeked frame justice, ill check into a body shop and see what they say. Oh and i only had liability on my truck so insurance aint giving me squat. my motor is tweeked towards the passenger side and my tranny mount is bent and tweeked. the driver door dont shut right, the latch on it is about a half inch higher than before. like the bottom hinge got bent upwards. The front axle on the driverside has shifted about 2iches towards the driver door also. and i thought that bumper would have saved my truck from something like this guess not. Also anyone ever see how much smaller a 1990 ctd frame is over a 91 and up? mine is 5inches tall, the 91 and up is 8 inches!! freaken weak frame!

jason
Old 03-19-2009, 04:13 PM

You would be surprised at how easy that is for a good body shop to fix.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:17 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Perhaps you can locate a decent crew cab and do the swap......
Old 03-19-2009, 04:19 PM

Not sure where you're at in Cali but Don Tanklage over at 1stgen.org has a truck for sale.

Maybe you could make him an offer or work something out.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:43 PM

geeze i know were there is a frame just sitting to bad way to far away
Why don't you buy DTanklage truck s
Old 03-19-2009, 04:59 PM

thanks guys, ill take a look at his truck, i wouldnt mind a crewcab anyways, but we'll see.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:01 PM

The smaller weaker frame is easyer to pull back into shape and some of your other problems will be corrected when the frame is pulled back.

Have a professional look at it BEFORE you decide what you are going to do and be up front about the insurance situation and if you decide to repair it offer a cash side job.

I have bought and fixed many trucks -worse case put a 91-3 frame under it but i think yours is fixable. Getting the frame rail straight and the DS front spring mount back in it's proper place will be the first two things to do then work out the rest yourself .
You might be surprised how easy that one is to fix if you were closer to me i would offer to buy it and fix it.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:20 PM

You can fix anything with enough time and money! Geez, they are fixing cars I would not have dragged home for parts 15 yeas ago! That said, find a GOOD frame man, with a reputation. Ask around. Hopefully you have Insurance, GOOD Insurance. If they want to total your truck, fight them. get every reciept you can lay your hands on, and make sure they have ALL the aftermafket items in thier evaluation. That truck is a relitively easy fix. If it was a year old, no one would second guess repairing it. I am an Estimator for the largest insurance company in North America (NOT AIG!) Have a good shop look at it, and see if you can negotiate taking the nose off yourself to save some coin. FIX IT!
65 Furys ROCK! Dad ordered one new in 64. I will never forgive him for trading it in on a 75 Fury. I wanted that car.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:56 PM

There are a couple of body shops here that are good from what ive heard so i'll be talking to them for sure. Unfortunatley i dont have full coverage on my truck so the insurance company doesnt care what i do with my truck. I looked at Dons truck, and i must say SWEET!! thats a nice truck, i emailed him and hope to talk to him soon. As for straightening the frame on my truck i still might but it depends on how much the shops are gonna charge. Thanks again fellas.

jason

Quick Reply: totalled my truck