1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Timing spacer

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Timing spacer

I've recently installed an M&H dynamic timing spacer on my truck and have a question for you guys. I've searched alot on various forms with no luck. I spoke with the owner of M&H before i installed the spacer and he advised me that with a later style VE pump that runs the solenoid style ksb instead of the wax motor ksb that i should leave my ksb unplugged after installing the spacer. Just curious why he would recommend this and if any others have this spacer and if theirs are wired or unplugged and their results. Seems to me if i leave it unplugged it will affect my cold starts and rattle like crazy until at operating temp. Also I'm running 5x16 SAC injectors with my pump jumped a tooth and set at stock marks on the case. Is this enough static timing for this large of injectors out should i bump the timing up past the mark some. I know i can just do some trial and error with this but just curious if anyone else had this similar setup and what yall are running the timing at. Any input would be appreciated. Thank yall in advance.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
On my 93 motor I can not run power to my KSB with the timing spacer in place. It tosses so much timing at it when it's cold that the truck will barely climb a slight grade.

I just plug the truck in when it starts to get around freezing. A timer for it to come on about 2hrs before I head to work.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
The purpose of the KSB is to advance stock timing slightly to increase idle speed when the engine is cold.

Would seem to me that if the initial timing is way advanced with various methods that the KSB would be counterproductive, ie what happened to TC. Too much timing at start up could cause serious mechanical damage, especially to the starter motor.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I appreciate the responses. I'm running with the ksb unplugged and it seems to start just fine and seems to have a little bit more on the top end. I'm just curious if I'm running enough timing for the 5x16s in the truck. I know they are a little to big for a ve pump and I'm seriously thinking about bumping down to either 5x14 or 6x13 because even with my future compounds i don't think the haze at idle will clear nor the heavy smoke in every gear. I'm skipped a tooth at the gear and at stock marks on the pump/case. Which is odd because before i jumped a tooth the stock marks seemed to line up about the middle of the elongated holes on the pump. For room to advance/retard the timing by rotating the pump. Since jumping a tooth though, the stock marks on the case/pump are at one side of the elongated holes. As in if i wanted to retard the timing i couldn't due to their being no room at the holes to turn the pump. Any ideas on either why the marks have moved or if I'm running enough timing
Old 09-27-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
At this point I would say that unless you put a dial indicator on it (port's in the middle of the delivery valves) it's a crap shoot.

The distance the piston travels before TDC can be directly converted to timing.