1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

tare weight of truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tare weight of truck

Some info from another thread though you guys may be interested.

JSchlachta with the weight at 6600 that would leave around 1900lbs availiable for cargo before the truck get to the GVWR. And with the rear axle rating of 6000lbs and all 1900lbs on the rear would leave 4100lbs as the tare weight on the rear axle. In my case that would mean that there was 2500lbs on the front which would be light in my mind (6600-1900=4100lbs). I will know more after I pick up a new trailer this weekend and spend some time at the scales getting the weight on all the axles. Does anyone have a tare weight on the fron t axle only?

Mine weighed in at 5960 with 1/4 tank of fuel at the local recycling facility. But after seeing your truck weights, I wondering when the last time the recycle scale was calibrated .

D

Yup,,,, 6790 with a half tank of juice and me...128 lbs soaking wet...

bob.

RGT I went accross the scales a couple of times at the local landfill, seemed real inaccurate based on what I had in the truck and what they netted the load at, but they had my truck in the mid to high 6000 lb(6700?) range which seemed real high at the time, but after seeing your numbers maybe is in the ballpark...

Tare weight at the sclaes while picking up 2100lbs. 1 1/2" ledge stone was 7001 lbs the first time, and 6997 (I think) the second time. See my sig, and that was with about 20gal. the first time. Needless to say, I was rather surprised to see how much the truck weighs. Of course, this being a dump truck scale, it might have been a little off in tare weight reading. I guess all they need is something close to work off of, even if that includes the weight of the scale panels as well. Anyway, later this year I'll go over to the CAT scales at the truck stop and see what the beast really weighs in at.

As for the axle rating, I wouldn't suggest 2100lbs. of stone. I have extra leaves back there, and I think I was lucky to make it home the first time, and REALLY stupid to go back for more. Oh well, I made it, but I don't know how close I was to not making it.

JSchlachta Stopped by the scales this morning and
had a weight of 6600lbs, 30gal of fuel and myself in it along with some tools (8500 GVW)(6064 max RAWR). I am interested to see what everyone comes in as for the unloaded weight and what truck model, options, and how much fuel on board. Also does anyone have readings for front and rear axle unloaded weight? would like to have an estimate to see how much can be put in the rear bed before going over the axle rating.

Forgot to mention that the truch has the extended cab on it.