1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Tail Lights dead.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Tail Lights dead.

A few nights ago I noticed people were flashing me so when I got home I discovered my tail/clearance lights were out. All of them. My dash lights still work fine and the fuse is good.

Anyone have any clues where to look first?

Edwin
Old 01-08-2006, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what else is dead? if you look at the fuse box the fuses are powered in "rows" if the whole row is out then you might has a fusible link that is dead. they are under the hood on the drivers wheel well. the "rows" change from year to year. on my 91 tail lights were along with power locks and one other thing i can't remember.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
under the bed at the back theres a 4 pole plug on either side, check for voltage if its not there id stare at dimmer or headlight switch, i know this is silly but you checked bulbs ?
Old 01-08-2006, 07:22 PM

Everything else works AFAIK. I'm waiting on a new dash bezel before I tear into it further. I'll stick the VOM on it and see if there is a fuse link problem. I think I have a wiring diageram somewhere. I was just asking in case anyone had had a similar problem.

Thanks

Edwin
Old 01-08-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm willing to bet on the headlight switch as being the problem. Once you see this switch for yourself, you'll know what I mean--it's a mess that should have never even entered production! If it's a light on the truck, it's power has to pass through that switch. I don't know how many amps it draws with everything on, but I know it gets plenty hot! There are separate leads coming off the switch for headlights, tail/marker, inst cluster etc etc. I imagine you'll find the tail/marker lead to be toasty.

edit: the switch is hot all the time--be careful what you touch! Or just remove the pos. batt cable
Old 01-08-2006, 08:01 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by G1625S
I'm willing to bet on the headlight switch as being the problem. Once you see this switch for yourself, you'll know what I mean--it's a mess that should have never even entered production! If it's a light on the truck, it's power has to pass through that switch. I don't know how many amps it draws with everything on, but I know it gets plenty hot! There are separate leads coming off the switch for headlights, tail/marker, inst cluster etc etc. I imagine you'll find the tail/marker lead to be toasty.

edit: the switch is hot all the time--be careful what you touch! Or just remove the pos. batt cable
I had the HL switch problem already so I replaced it with 2 toggle switches. I haven't checked the bulbs yet. It could be that because I noticed the ampmeter was fluctuating wildly a few days back so maybe I have a VR problem and zapped all the lights.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened to me, i had the tail gate off and hooke the wirew to the tailgate in a loop . I had the same results as you. I hooked them up the right way the the prob was fixed. I wouldn't have mentioned this if you weren't a dually, just a thought
Old 01-10-2006, 12:18 PM

I drove it yesterday during the day after I wiggled all the connectors I could find. I noticed the amp gauge going full over when the grid heaters kicked in so I think I have a bad fuse link or something. There's about 6 inches of snow on the ground today and probably about 6 more coming down on top of it so I'm staying close to the fire. I'll let everyone know what I find when it warms up some.

Thanks everyone!

Edwin