1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A/T heat echanger plumbing help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry A/T heat echanger plumbing help PLEASE

OK so the metal tubing from up by the oil filter to the very back of the heat exchanger springs a leak under the clamp holding it to that bracket under the turbo.... rust belt rust at it's finest.

Cut out bad section put in 8" of good 5/8 heater hose no leaks run for 2 days and a new leak from the metal tubing this time in the middle of one of the bends at the rear. nice little pin hole yep more Ohio rust so I won't even try to salvage this tubing anymore.

Now the questions, are these available from the dealer and if so what do I call it to have him order one ?
How do I install this convoluted thing without removing the downpipe etc ?

Anyone ever just ditch the heat exchanger and if so what aftermarket cooler did you install and where ? 'cause the little bitty one by the radiator isn't going to do the job by itself obviously.

If I ditch this will it hurt the trans in the winter I understand the heat exhange goes both ways with the tranny fluid benifiting from heat when it's really cold.

Sorry for the slew of questions but this thing has me flustered and I really need to get it going.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Old 08-26-2007, 06:34 PM

me and my buddy just ditched ours gave us a ton of room..
Old 08-26-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by boostedve
me and my buddy just ditched ours gave us a ton of room..
How are your tranny temp's ?
Old 08-26-2007, 06:56 PM

I built a new bumper, put a nice big cooler in it and came across a stock under bed cooler and I ditched the one you're having problems with. I have a hard time reaching 180 degrees towing in 100+ degree az heat. Someone else on here has a nice custom underbed cooler as well- there's a lot of room under there on both sides...

Old 08-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO if you add a separate cooler you would be fine getting rid of the water/oil warmer/cooler. We dont have a lockup converter so the fluid not being up to temp isn't a problem.

I know a LOT of guys running twins that ditch it with no ill effects.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:21 PM

Is the water/oil warmer/cooler that cylindrical thing on the passenger side of my engine block? What exactly does it do?

I really wish I had a real "shop manual" for this truck. I've got a dictionary-sized shop manual for my '55 New Yorker and it is absurdly detailed, it explains how pretty much everything on the car works in addition to telling you exactly how to fix it.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Machinos
Is the water/oil warmer/cooler that cylindrical thing on the passenger side of my engine block? What exactly does it do?

I really wish I had a real "shop manual" for this truck. I've got a dictionary-sized shop manual for my '55 New Yorker and it is absurdly detailed, it explains how pretty much everything on the car works in addition to telling you exactly how to fix it.
Big blob under the turbo on the passenger side of the block it's a fluid to fluid heat exhanger coolant on one side tranny fluid on the other.

I'm liking the idea of aftermarket cooler under bed and remove this thing if for no other reason than to get the space back and I just KNOW the tubing I need will be no longer available.

Way back when I first started spinning wrenches there were chilton manuals man I loved those things, need to find a good set of factory service manuals for the cummins 1st gen as the only haynes I can find is for gassers
Old 08-26-2007, 10:22 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Machinos
If I understand things correctly, it provides the heat needed to bring the transmission fluid up to a minimum operating temperature. Handy if you live way up north where it gets really cold and you don't load the truck enough to bring it up to temp in a reasonable time.

Not much of a point to it in say, Texas or Florida for example.

The little radiator type cooler up front is for dumping the excess heat.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:21 AM

I agree w david, in fact the big cooler I bought came with a bypass thermostat for running in cooler temperatures. I think here in AZ I should be ok without it
Old 08-27-2007, 05:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You ought to replace that heater hose with oil hose. Heater hose gets mushy when exposed to oil.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
You ought to replace that heater hose with oil hose. Heater hose gets mushy when exposed to oil.
The heater hose I used was on the coolant line that was leaking which then sprang another leak.

Dodge parts counter guy had no clue so I bubba'd it with 5/8 od copper tubing between the two 90's already on there.

Anyone know the dodge part number for the long bendy piece of tubing from the front of the engine to the very rear of the heat exchanger ? Or even have a decent diagram ?

Thanks,

Brian
Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by rainfade
Anyone know the dodge part number for the long bendy piece of tubing from the front of the engine to the very rear of the heat exchanger ? Or even have a decent diagram ?

Thanks,

Brian
What part numbers are you looking?

EDITED so as to show Intercooled truck transmission plumbing.

I hope my pics aren't too big.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:16 PM

# 10 please

#10 is the hunk of tubing that rotted out on me so if I could get that part # for my dodge parts counter guy (and i'm taking this picture with me) that would be AWESOME... man I LOVE this board :-)
Thank you thank you thank you
Old 08-27-2007, 08:36 PM
1st Generation Admin

Part number 10 is ~ 4428 TUBE, Oil Cooler

NOTE Part number page is dated AUGUST 1992.

EDITED so as to show Intercooled truck transmission plumbing
Old 08-28-2007, 03:30 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rainfade
The heater hose I used was on the coolant line that was leaking which then sprang another leak.
D'oh! Nevermind.