1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

syntorq in a Getrag

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
syntorq in a Getrag

Pa just had the Getrag rebuilt in his 93. Rebuilder shop swears that he has to use syntorq in this tranny, due to fiber bushings and such. Why do I have the sinking hunch that Pa or the Mechanic has there trannies mixed up ( with the NV4500).

Will Syntorq be alright in the Rag or will he have to have it rebuilt again shortly? Tranny shop also advised against overfilling by a quart. I have a hard enough time teaching Pa how to drive this tranny in the first place ( personally seen him shift into 5 gear at about 25 mph, and let 'er growl) , let alone bad advice leading it to an early doom.

Any thoughts, Thanks.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
No, go to wally world, grab the 4 qt. Mobil 1 5-30W synthetic extended wear for $27 and don't look back
Old 09-09-2009, 06:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The shop where I got My parts from said to use regular 5-30w oil bc the synthetic had a bad reaction with some of their syncross. They do agree to overfill by 1qt. 25mph on 5th = ouch.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:52 AM

Hi guys, I've got a '91 D350 LE Dually (no winters) with chrome wheels and lots of other stuff, and I have a '92 W250 LE 4X4 (w/dual wheels) flatbed. And my newest is my '07 RAM 3500, 6.7, 6spd stick 4X4 SLT factory cab & chassis, w/flatbed. My '92 has 255,000+miles, with original starter, Alt., automatic trans, and tie rod ends even...I changed the water pump twice and replaced the fuel shutoff solenoid, I bought 1 lifetime muffler that I've changed once...I love those old trucks...
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. MOPAR NY
Hi guys, I've got a '91 D350 LE Dually (no winters) with chrome wheels and lots of other stuff, and I have a '92 W250 LE 4X4 (w/dual wheels) flatbed. And my newest is my '07 RAM 3500, 6.7, 6spd stick 4X4 SLT factory cab & chassis, w/flatbed. My '92 has 255,000+miles, with original starter, Alt., automatic trans, and tie rod ends even...I changed the water pump twice and replaced the fuel shutoff solenoid, I bought 1 lifetime muffler that I've changed once...I love those old trucks...
And this is related how?

Originally Posted by isu elvi
Pa just had the Getrag rebuilt in his 93. Rebuilder shop swears that he has to use syntorq in this tranny, due to fiber bushings and such. Why do I have the sinking hunch that Pa or the Mechanic has there trannies mixed up ( with the NV4500).
Any thoughts, Thanks.
Well if these people actually did the rebuild they should know by looking at the syncro's that they are NOT made of any sort of fiber. Unless they think that brass is a fiber. My advice is to NOT get a rebuild from somewhere that thinks these have a fiber syncro.

Other than that, definitely use either a 5/30 motor oil or a good syncromesh oil. and absolutely overfill by 1 quart! or just go with 5 quarts total. If he tows or hauls a lot I would recommend a PTO cover extension that add 1 quart each, so it would take a total of 7 quarts.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[quote=apwatson50;

Other than that, definitely use either a 5/30 motor oil or a good syncromesh oil. and absolutely overfill by 1 quart! or just go with 5 quarts total. If he tows or hauls a lot I would recommend a PTO cover extension that add 1 quart each, so it would take a total of 7 quarts.[/quote]

Ditto, .... the rebuilder of my Getrag said synthetic ENGINE oil and overfill by that extra quart. I dropped in the extra oil before I put the shifter back on (except now I can't check how high above the filler I still am!) I've pulled that bmf trailer a lot of miles since then with no problems, although I don't shift into 5th below about 80k (50mph)
An older thread by an experienced Rag rebuilder said shifting too low with that Cummins will rattle out the tail shaft. I mended my ways based on that bit of wisdom, ...
Old 09-09-2009, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I thought the same but needed some additional opinions to back me up. I still doubt I can talk him out of it, what do I know right, I am just the dumb kid. All the comments about over filling, shifting at a decent speed, etc etc, have all gone on deaf ears so far. He even drove it with the loose rag joint for 5 years, even though the new shaft I got him was sitting in the box in the garage from about the 3rd week he had the pickup. Said it would take to long to put it on and didn't want to have a laid up pickup. Finally put it on when the tranny was out 2 weeks ago, took him 15 minutes.

I am trying to get him to put in some good synthetic 5w-30 and a filter assembly on to get some extra capacity, like I have on mine, but for whatever reason, he really trusts this tranny mechanic. I know that Dad thinks he has the same tranny as I do (NV4500), but doesn't believe me when I explain some of the differences. If I was not 200 miles away, I would just do it for him like I had to back when I was in HS. He never knew what I did, but was usually happy with the results.

Funny story, more ironic than haha, my F-I-L called from the side of the road saturday night, took his getrag out exactly 2 weeks later with similar driving habits and both suffered catastrophic failures ( no go on the side of the interstate) Sometimes its hard to convince these old farmers of anything new.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:48 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would suggest putting plain old 5W-30 in for the first fill, then dumping it after about 2k to get rid of the glitter. Easier to get an old farmer to dump $5 worth of oil than $15. Refill with Mobil 1 5W-30 and drive.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:27 PM

What a minute here. You and another member said Pennzoil Synchromesh on a former post, and now your saying 5W30W Mobil 1. I remember that post..Why the change of mind???
Old 09-10-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Riflemanusmc
What a minute here. You and another member said Pennzoil Synchromesh on a former post, and now your saying 5W30W Mobil 1. I remember that post..Why the change of mind???
Because its cheaper, and old farmers like cheap.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Motor oil for working trucks, trans lube for play toys.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:14 PM

what is it with you guys and farmers???
Old 09-10-2009, 04:34 PM

just a quick note to throw some kinks in this discussion..we started running these trucks in 91 with purchase of a 91.6 w250 getrag setup...turned pump up some..done by diesel shop so dont know what they did...truck never left the garage unless hooked to a trailer hauling tractors...indiana trip from missouri weighing in @23,800 as an example...after 18,000 mi it got traded for a 93 w 350 ext cab which had same pump treatment and same deal hauling only till was traded @ 72,000 mi for a 97 w350 extended cab which went @98,000 mi for an 06 w350 extended cab....all this to say that with all the loads in all parts of the country we never changed or added fluid in the getrags and never had any problems with any of them...so factory fluid filled to level they say and lots of hard miles on 2 trucks with getrags and one with the nv and no problems...sometimes i wonder if the issues the people are haveing are because of driving habits and or more hp than they need to do what these trucks were meant to do?...just a thought
Old 09-10-2009, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Motor oil for working trucks, trans lube for play toys.
Mine is a play toy. Yours doesn't work either.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Benjamin b2
what is it with you guys and farmers???
Yea, I'm starting to wounder the same thing....

Quick Reply: syntorq in a Getrag