1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Swap Help! 92 D350 Auto into 91 W250 5-Speed

Old 06-08-2013, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Swap Help! 92 D350 Auto Engine into 91 W250 5-Speed

I'm sorry for any confusion what I'm about to say will create but I'm going to try to keep it simple as possible.

I've recently acquired a 1992 D350 equipped with a 518 overdrive transmission to use as a parts truck for my W250. The pump in my 1991 W250 is pretty much shot because the body of it has been bored out .010 inches by the previous owner Therefore, it pretty much permanently over fuels regardless how it's adjusted. I've called Thoroughbred Diesel and not even they can help me solve this issue.

Back to the point. My W250 is still a "work in progress" and is in need of many of the "hard to find" parts. Therefore, I was going to salvage as much from the D350 as possible in order to fix the W250.

I want to use the D350 engine and injection pump in my W250 but I've been reading around and think that it's going to become an issue being that the D350 has a PCM and crank position sensor. On top of wanting to replace the engine and IP, I would also like to just swap all the engine wiring because the D350 wiring looks 10x better than the W250. Eventually, I may even want to change the dash wiring because of the fuse block in the W250 is burnt and basically a huge chicken nest of wire.

The D350 has factory cruise control that I would also like to use because my W250 has the steering column that accepts cruise and I also have the plug for in on the fender well.

Basically, my questions are as follows:
Would I be able to simply swap engines from the D350 to the W250 without swapping harnesses?
Would I still be able to use the cruise control setup from the D350 and just install it on the W250?
Am I able to use the fuse block from the D350 in my W250?
Will there by any issues with the injection pump (specifically the KSB) if I just swap motors without swapping harnesses?

I really want to be able to use the D350 pump because it is 100% stock and still has all the anti-tamper caps on it. Any answers/help to my questions are greatly appreciated! I just want to get things figured out before I finally get it all torn apart and realize some things may, or may not, work. Again, thanks for any replies!

Last edited by 12V_shooter25; 06-08-2013 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Wrong title
Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 AM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
So your 91 is a factory NON-IC truck...correct?

OK I will work on that assumption then. The KSB will not function properly if you swap the 92 motor over to the 91. You could wire up a switch forthe KSB so you could use it temporarily.

Also you will not be able to just swap the engine side of the wiring harness....the two are not compatible. May as well just swap out the complete dash/wiring and everything to match your 92 motor.

As for the PCM...you can run it with no auto. It will just flash a no speed code? if you ever check it.

As for the cruise. Just swap it all over with the wiring harness. Might have to tear down the two steering columns to get everything moved over.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:39 AM

What kind of switch do I need to have in order to get the KSB to function? I really want the IP from the 92 because it is all stock and my current one on the 91 is all tweaked with beyond repair.

I know if I completely swap both wiring harnesses that will eliminate my 4WD indicator light in the dash but that's really about it, right? Other than a few lights in the cluster, most of mine don't work anyway other than the turn signals, oil pressure light and high beam indicator.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by 12V_shooter25
What kind of switch do I need to have in order to get the KSB to function? I really want the IP from the 92 because it is all stock and my current one on the 91 is all tweaked with beyond repair.

I know if I completely swap both wiring harnesses that will eliminate my 4WD indicator light in the dash but that's really about it, right? Other than a few lights in the cluster, most of mine don't work anyway other than the turn signals, oil pressure light and high beam indicator.
Sorry for the double post but I also wanted to know exactly what kind of truck I would need to make sure all these things are compatible with my 91 W250. Would just any 89-91 Non-IC Truck with a manual transmission work? I just want to make this swap on my 91 as easy as possible without having to butcher the wiring or rig up anything. I mainly just want the injection pump but if it's going to be a pain to wire, I can just wait until something else comes along. Can someone help me shed some light on exactly what trucks I can use that will directly swap into my 91? Thanks everyone!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM

No it won't be a pain really. You will need to swap wiring regardless, so you may as well use what you already have. You won't be needing to butcher anything is you swap everything over...it's a direct swap! Yes you will more then likely loose your 4wd dash indicator, but you can wire that up pretty easy after the fact.

If you swap everything from the 92 into your 91 then the KSB will work fine. The difference between the Non-IC and IC KSB is in the internal set-up of the device. One requires a constant 12V I think (Non-IC), the other is timed off a temp sensor...I could be wrong though.

If you really want to keep it simple then yes a 89-91 Non-IC truck will be a direct swap.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:10 PM

I think I'm just going to end up keep the D350 as is and search for another donor truck that is a non-IC from the factory. The D350 has all power options and every single one of them work flawlessly so I might as well just keep it as is or sell it to make a profit.

On a side note, does anyone know where I could get a hold on an engine and dash wiring harness for a 4x4 non-IC truck? I specifically need the dash wiring because my fuse block is burnt and spliced a thousand different ways.

I'm also in need of a non-IC injection pump but I have a personal problem paying $900 (plus $600 core charge) for a remanufactured pump. I'm looking for a pump that still has all the anti-tamper caps so I know that it hasn't been played with. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where I could find a used non-IC pump relatively cheap, that would be great. Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your help!
Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 PM

If you get a rebuildable IP core from an IC truck you can use the two to make one good one.

Just use the Delivery valves, and KSB from your Non-IC pump and re-seal and assemble. Might want to swap the cam as well to be safe, I can't recall if it's different or not?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 PM

I'll probably just end up forking out the cash and get a reman pump or find one for sale eventually. Now just to find the wiring harnesses.