1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Suspension work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
That's great, Jim. That shop is gonna make it right. Are you curious, as to how much the factory springs lost their snuff when compared side by side to the correct new ones? Wonder how much they compressed over time?
Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Wow,
Sorry to have left you hanging, I have been so busy lately I have not even had a chance to go on my computer except for a few minutes to check my mail.

So I took my truck back that evening so he could get on it first thing in the morning, I did not want to call him because I know he was getting pretty frustrated, I know I already was.

So around 3:00 P.M. I got a call from him and he said it was ready.

I got a ride down to the shop and as I pulled in, it was sitting in front of the shop, it looked good and was where I had told him to put it about 3" above the tire, he said what he had to do was he cut 1 coil off the strongest spring and that dropped it into the center of its travel.

So we had 2 boxes of springs from Moog, both of them were marked #5716S yet when they were set side by side one set was a good 2 to 3 inches taller, both boxes were factory sealed.

Maybe the shorter one was a #5716 (heavy duty)

But still either one should have fit without any modifications, one was too far extended and the shorter one was sitting flat on the snubber.

Anyhow he got it fixed the way I wanted it, it only took 3 extra days of work to get there.

Now last week was when it was 109* in the shade, and I really feel sorry for the guy, this was the part he offered to do for me for free.

I ask him how much money for all of the extra work and he said I told you I would not charge you.

I asked him about the warranty and he said Lifetime on all of the Moog parts but after 1 year I'll have to pay for the labor to R&R them.

Fair enough.

I was going to give him some gift cards for a local restaurant but I gave him 2) $100 bills instead.

I think he liked it better.

Fast forward several weeks and I have gotten a few miles on the truck with the new suspension,

This truck really drives nice, doesn't wander, pop, make other scary noises and it is a heck of a lot quieter.

Now it feels nice and solid like when I go over railroad tracks, where it used to shudder now it is just a thud, amazing what a little rubber between the metal joints will do.

Kind of like my back, I have rubber missing from my joints there too.

This morning I woke up to a little 4X8 U-Haul trailer on the back of my truck, I had to go and pick up a free refrigerator about a 75 mile trip and I took my neighbor with me to do the work,

He has a lifted Chevy gasser and entire trip was about how neat my truck was, how it pulled the trailer and about how quiet it was,

for once I could actually carry on a conversation with someone when I was rolling down the freeway.

So yes, wow I am impressed,

We all know how rough these trucks ride and with all of the work we do to try and quiet them down, rebuilding the entire front suspension should be on the list of things to do.

wow who would have thunk this to do?

In the about 19 years that I have had my truck, the only thing that has really broken down on my truck has been 3 transmissions other than preventive maintenance, fixing leaks and a pair of rear springs to improve the ride,

This is really the only big expense I have paid,
$1700.00 for 19 years of operation.

BTW
I now have a pair of OEM front coils gently used sitting at my house to add to my collection of things to run into.

they do not appear to have lost too much height in the years I have used them.

Jim
The following 4 users liked this post by Jim Lane:
Bob L (09-17-2017), edwinsmith (09-17-2017), MrFusion (09-17-2017), nonrev (09-17-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Jim- next time you pour concrete footings, use those old springs as concrete reinforcement.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:58 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
Jim- next time you pour concrete footings, use those old springs as concrete reinforcement.
That could be useful out here during the Big One.