1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Superduty front springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superduty front springs

So my 89 ford crew rides like a wagon, the front springs are super stiff. So in my research a common upgrade is to put superduty front leaf springs in the front as they have a lot of engineering into them to make them ride nice. So I am definitely going to do this on the ford.

But since this is really a dodge forum I am wondering if anyone has thought of modifying the shackle/spring mounts to fit superduty front springs? If they ride good on a ford they should ride just as good on a dodge!!

I am thinking about doing this, eventually. But right now I will do the ford first since it rides worse than the dodge!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:31 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but, getting the axle centered properly could be fun, I know on the 91 and older Fords getting the front eye far enough forward to center the axle is a pain, they are the same length on the short side as stock, and longer on the long. You literally need to put the spring eye in line with the front end of the frame.
This is with them bolted into the stock rear hangars:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../atdarrens.jpg

I ended up building my own shackle reversal, and re-drilling the center pin location to get the axle where I wanted it. I went a bit forward of stock, but, thats a whole other ballgame.

I actually made the front of my 92 ride quite well with just swapping some leaves around. I kept the stock main and first one after it, and the next three are out of an 8" superlift gasser pack. I didn't use the short bottom leaves out of the 8" pack, and kept the stock number of leaves(been a few years now, can't remember the numbers) and it ended up a little taller than stock, but it nearly rides as well as my work truck.
Not the greatest pictures to show it, but, you can see they move quite well:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../posin-002.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1.../Untitled2.jpg

With your Ford, a shackle reversal in itself even without the S/D spring swap makes a big difference.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:53 PM

Received 348 Likes on 287 Posts
The Ford front springs are 3" wide... 1st-gens are 2-1/2". Kinda not as easy as it would first seem.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:10 AM

The difference in width is the easy part, the difference in length is the kicker, the Dodge springs are 48" IIRC, and the Ford ones are are around 56".
If you're doing the work to make them fit, a .5" wider bracket is a pretty minor detail.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:21 AM

yeah the ford already has a shackle reversal on it, and it still rides rough! the front springs must be some lift springs and are stiff!

So once I get some superduty springs I am going to have to modify the front spring mounts so the center is like 3" forward from where they are now.

I think with a little welding/cutting/modifying some superduty springs could be fitted to the dodge. I really don't think it would be very difficult.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 348 Likes on 287 Posts
Watch out where the leaf spring meets the diff pumpkin on the passenger side. You have one u-bolt and 2 studs there. The recess in the perch for the spring thru-bolt will have to be elongated or filled and re-drilled... or some other clever solution. The perch on the other side is easier to deal with.

The spring spacing is in effect going to get wider by 1"... 1/2" per side. Maybe its not a big deal... but its stuff I think about.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
Watch out where the leaf spring meets the diff pumpkin on the passenger side. You have one u-bolt and 2 studs there. The recess in the perch for the spring thru-bolt will have to be elongated or filled and re-drilled... or some other clever solution. The perch on the other side is easier to deal with.

The spring spacing is in effect going to get wider by 1"... 1/2" per side. Maybe its not a big deal... but its stuff I think about.
yep good point all things that would have to be thought of. The diff/pumpkin I bet could probably be ground such that the center of the spring would stay in the same spot. Will have to take a look and see if it is possible!
Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 PM

Good Idea, I know Chevy guys do this too with longer springs. Better ride, and more flex if you do offroading.