1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Super Cool and CHEAP TPS fix! Dial-in your OD shift point!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 12:51 AM
DBF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Or alternator. DBF
Old 08-21-2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
The OD only works after the tranny hits third gear, when in OD you are actually in 3rd and the OD cames from a unit bolted onto the back of the tranny. So when taking off with OD engaged you still go thru first and second gear like normal, then when you hit third you'll actually go straight to OD. It has nothing to do with the TV other than because you have it floored the shift to 3rd is dealyed so much that when it goes to OD you don't realize it skipped third. The TV only affects shifts 1-3. The up/downshift to OD is controlled by the the TPS. Thats why with the POT mod you won't get a downshift when you floor it. The OD doesn't realize its floored as the TPS still sends a constant signal. You won't get a downshift unless you are going slow enough to activate a downshift to 2nd. This is the one draw back to the POT mod.
Hmmm, The only problem with that explanation is that in both cases I feel three very distinct shifts and I see the RPMs drop just a touch in each case. The OD shift happens at around 40 under normal driving and when at full throttle it doesn't happen till around 55 or 60. There really is a difference based on throttle . . .

I think I may have some other things going on though because even after the POTS install, I find that there was a bit of an erratic shifting problem when it got hot. I was almost home yesterday and it wouldn't shift into OD at all. I Adjusted the POTS and it shifted. I hadn't touched it its setting since the day before so something caused the shift point to change other than the POTS. I may have some bad wiring or some interference somewhere . . .

Anything that any of you can think of as to what may cause the shift point for OD to be erratic other than the TPS/POTS?

Thanks,
Chass
ct
Old 08-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chass
The OD shift happens at around 40 under normal driving and when at full throttle it doesn't happen till around 55 or 60.
Man, I wish mine would shift into OD at 60mph. At the track I cross the finish line just as it shifts, which is like 75+mph.

I'm trying to decide between the POTS mod and the manual on/off switch Wanna mentioned a while back. I like the fact the on/off switch can still be used with the stock OD lockout button. Does the OD lockout button still work with the POTS mod too?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Man, I wish mine would shift into OD at 60mph. At the track I cross the finish line just as it shifts, which is like 75+mph.

I'm trying to decide between the POTS mod and the manual on/off switch Wanna mentioned a while back. I like the fact the on/off switch can still be used with the stock OD lockout button. Does the OD lockout button still work with the POTS mod too?
I think the POTS mod is pretty straight forward and extremely simple if you know how to use wire cutters and butt end connectors

You can use the OD button on the dash with the POTS mod. So, in theory, you could set your POTS really low and turn off OD when you race. Then hit the button at the speed you want your shift into OD to happen. Then you have the best of both worlds . . . its just that mine doesn't seem to do that ??

My tranny temp was getting up around 210 just getting up to 65 from a stop. My friend said "Turn off your OD till you get to cruising speed and the tranny will stay cooler" Sure enough, it only gets up to around 190 under the same conditions now. I'll have to keep a close eye on it.

Chass
ct
Old 08-21-2006, 03:14 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe V
I tried bypassing my dead TPS with a POT, I can’t get it to work. I’ve read this thread numerous times to see if I missed anything.

I have the correct POT.
I’m using 18 gauge wire.
The red wire is in the center, I’ve tried switching sides on the 2 outside wires.

The truck is not charging the battery; the speedo stays at zero and the OD button light remains off. The truck died on me when I was driving it last week. After going back the next day to pick it up, I installed a fully charged battery, it fired up and everything worked fine, I had OD, the battery was being charged, the speedo was working and the OD button light was on. Then after 5 minutes of driving I lost OD again, the speedo went flat, etc. etc.

I unscrewed the speedo cable at the tailshaft and taped the rounded off shaft and slid it back in, went for a test drive…no improvement.

I put the TPS back on…no improvement.

I stared into the engine bay for 15 minutes and whispered sweet nothings ...no improvement.

Next steps, remove the taped speedo sensor and replace with a new one. Check the voltage with the bad TPS on (will this really matter?).

Any recommendations?
Your OD problem is related to the dead speedometer, not the TPS. If the PCM thinks the truck isn't moving, then it's not going to shift into OD. It sounds like the connection at the PCM might be flaky, unplug the PCM (hiding between the battery and the fender) and plug it back in.

Your charging problem is also PCM related, the PCM is not getting a signal from the crank sensor to tell it that the engine is running, so the charging system is turned off.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 PM
DBF

Originally Posted by cLAYH
I also have a manual swt for engaging my OD. Its a floor mounted dimmer swt that I just tap when I am ready for OD. I also have a light on the dash that comes on when the truck is in OD so I remember to turn it off when I stop.

Only problem is that without a working TPS my cruise control does not work.

For those that went the 5kpot route does your cruise control work.
Yes. Both in (3) and in (3)(OD).

Regards, DBF
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 PM
DBF

Originally Posted by jrussell

I set mine so that WOT shifts at about 50-52.

Yes, the lockout button still works.

Regards, DBF
Old 08-21-2006, 11:22 PM

I tried bypassing my dead TPS with a POT, I can’t get it to work. I’ve read this thread numerous times to see if I missed anything.

I have the correct POT.
I’m using 18 gauge wire.
The red wire is in the center, I’ve tried switching sides on the 2 outside wires.
Mine does this also...am i missing something here? It won't even try and engage the od. no matter what i do.
how do u wire up the switch that everyone is talking about? I would really like to have that. The floor mounted dimmer switch is a good idea.
Thanks guys.
Aaron
Old 08-21-2006, 11:30 PM
DBF

Originally Posted by aaronedwards82
Mine does this also...am i missing something here? It won't even try and engage the od. no matter what i do.
how do u wire up the switch that everyone is talking about? I would really like to have that. The floor mounted dimmer switch is a good idea.
Thanks guys.
Aaron
Ok. Pot wiring follows:

With the pot in your hand and its shaft pointing toward you and the connection posts pointing up, connect the left post to the left pin in the connector the TPS plugs into, or to the wire going to it.

Connect the center post to the center pin in the connector the TPS plugs into.

Connect the right post to the right pin in the connector the TPS plugs into.

How you do it is up to you, there are 100 ways. I just used some 3-lead ribbon cable and twisted it as I ran it. Drilled a 3/8" hole just above and to the left of the emergency brake handle to mount the pot (nothing behind the plastic there). Hack-sawed off most of the shaft. Use voltmeter to set pot to about 1.4vdc from the center post to dash ground.

Regards, DBF
Old 08-21-2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Your OD problem is related to the dead speedometer, not the TPS. If the PCM thinks the truck isn't moving, then it's not going to shift into OD. It sounds like the connection at the PCM might be flaky, unplug the PCM (hiding between the battery and the fender) and plug it back in.

Your charging problem is also PCM related, the PCM is not getting a signal from the crank sensor to tell it that the engine is running, so the charging system is turned off.
Excellent advice. I'll try this and let ya know what happens. My fingers are crossed.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:05 PM

I cleaned the plug contacts on my PCM...no improvement. I did some more reading and it confirmed that wannadiesel and jrussell are correct.

I need a PCM.

Ouchman, gotta Super Cool and CHEAP PCM fix?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:24 PM

let me know what you find. my truck does that same thing. sometimes i start the truck and i have no speedo, therefore no OD, and sometimes when i am flying down the highway the speedo will stop momentarily and fly right back up causing the truck to slide in and out of OD.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by DBF
Ok. Pot wiring follows:

With the pot in your hand and its shaft pointing toward you and the connection posts pointing up, connect the left post to the left pin in the connector the TPS plugs into, or to the wire going to it.

Connect the center post to the center pin in the connector the TPS plugs into.

Connect the right post to the right pin in the connector the TPS plugs into.

How you do it is up to you, there are 100 ways. I just used some 3-lead ribbon cable and twisted it as I ran it. Drilled a 3/8" hole just above and to the left of the emergency brake handle to mount the pot (nothing behind the plastic there). Hack-sawed off most of the shaft. Use voltmeter to set pot to about 1.4vdc from the center post to dash ground.

Regards, DBF
That is the exact same way i ran mine. Except i used some braided/shielded 3 strand cable. I have messed with this the past few days to no avail.
I even got a weathertight plug for the plug so all i have to do is plug it back in to get back use of the tps. This thing doesn't make any sense. Its drivin me nuts.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:26 AM
DBF

Originally Posted by aaronedwards82
That is the exact same way i ran mine. Except i used some braided/shielded 3 strand cable. I have messed with this the past few days to no avail.
I even got a weathertight plug for the plug so all i have to do is plug it back in to get back use of the tps. This thing doesn't make any sense. Its drivin me nuts.
I can understand that. My first try was unsuccessful. It turned out that I had crimped a butt connector poorly. So I soldered all the connections and that did the trick. Perhaps you just have a poor connection or open in the cable.

Regards, DBF
Old 08-24-2006, 04:30 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I cleaned the plug contacts on my PCM...no improvement. I did some more reading and it confirmed that wannadiesel and jrussell are correct.

I need a PCM.

Ouchman, gotta Super Cool and CHEAP PCM fix?
Check the crank sensor wiring and the VSS wiring thoroughly first. Those PCM's aren't cheap.

Quick Reply: Super Cool and CHEAP TPS fix! Dial-in your OD shift point!