1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Super Cool and CHEAP TPS fix! Dial-in your OD shift point!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the fix I had visualized glad you put it on this site. The braided wire is a great fix also I have simply twisted all the wiring to my sensors and all my shifting troubles have disappeared for over two months of high mileage driving. All the sensors in the IBM machines I worked on for thirty years always had twisted or braided wire hooked to them!
Old 06-25-2005, 11:22 AM

Ok this may sound stupid, but from the tps to the 5k potentiometer How did you hook up the wires. As I understand from the TPS I would put the wires ....... center wire in the center and the forward most wire on the THP to the right side of the potentiometer (holding it **** facing me) and the wire to the rear of the TPS on the laft side.....
Am I correct on this? or did I read that wrong.
Driving with out overdrive this last wekk cut my MPG alot and with the price of fuel.....NC I looked up the price at the local auto parts store and they told me $286 with a friends discount that works there. going to cost that much if i have to drive it a few more week like this in fuel.

Bush has to do something about the price of fuel soon!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by DocCJV8

Bush has to do something about the price of fuel soon!!!!!!!!!!!
Why would you expect Bush to be able to do anything about the fuel prices? He can't tell a private company how much they can charge for their product. That would be like callin McDonalds and telling them that from now on they can only charge .25 cents for a Big Mac...
Old 06-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Banned

Even here in RedNeckVille USA people seem to think W controls the fuel
prices. I can't, for the life of me, get them to understand the concept of
world trade. I hear them every morning at the Liars Club breakfast
with the SOSDD. I am at the point of going postal, but them they would
gripe about the cost of stamps.

Old 06-26-2005, 10:27 PM

OK OK I give on the Bush comment.

Ok Big Problem tried this TPS fix and it did not work TPS starts out at .5 volts at idle then Drops off to .25 at wot. I did the 5k potentiometer (Radio Shack had them in stock), speedo is working so im thinking that the speedo sensor is not the problem. I am not realy clear on the wires but do understand that the middle wire goes to the middle of the potentiometer. Does any one know the right way to wire this up??? Checks all the wires and plugs they are clean inside and tight. Any Body got any ideas before I spend the $286 for this part and does any one know were to get it cheaper????? Think about adding a switch to tell the OD when to turn on. Read about this in a different DTR Forum.
If any one has any ideas pm me or reply here
Old 06-26-2005, 10:42 PM

When I wired mine I looked at the TPS then I flipped the POT over (**** down) and wired it that way. Unfortunately I don't own that truck anymore, so I can't run out and look at it. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2005, 09:45 PM

Thanks tried it that way when I hooked it up. I got nothing out of the trans and over drive. Dealer says I should replace the electronics in the trans for $200 and they also claim I have a lock up torque convertor. Have to clime under it when I got home tomorrow, and check the TPS for proper voltage on the hot side. I sure like the idea of being able to control the OD shift point. makes it easer to haul loads on long hills.

got on more question has any one bybassed the Lock up circuit and mad it so you can turn it on for down hill grades to help with speed, i would like to add a exaust brake but keep hearing they dont work on auto trans to good.. and comments welcome.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2005, 01:13 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Lockup in a 1st gen is EXTREMELY RARE....I have "heard" of them but never ever seen one with lockup. That option was made use of in the 94 and up model year.
If you have lockup you should be able to tell.....once the 3-4 shift happens you should feel another shift, much firmer take place...that would be lockup. Personally I think you may be out of luck on this one.
You can also give the dealer your VIN and they should be able call up ALL of the options/items in and on your truck, including the seat colors/paint types/colors the works.
That will tell you the story right there ...

pb....
Old 07-01-2005, 10:19 PM

Thanks Bushy, Still have not had time to get under it with working 16 hour days. Saturday starts a nice long weekend it will be a nice change with no hi temps. going to change the filter and atf and inspect the electronics to see if they are with in specs. I got them from a friends shop and my local dealer. They printed some stuff off the computer and copied some from the shop manuals for my year truck using the vin as a guide..

and Yes I had a (felt like a) slight shift bump as if the truck had 5 gear. Over drive pulled hard when it came on and 1st to second hit hardr.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:41 PM

OK does the tranny still shift into OD by itself? Or do you have to turn the **** to make it shift?
Old 01-28-2006, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Deezle98
OK does the tranny still shift into OD by itself? Or do you have to turn the **** to make it shift?
The POT lets you set the point at which the tranny shifts (itself).
Old 01-28-2006, 11:51 PM

What I did on my truck is simply install a little switch and use that to shift into and out of OD whenever I want. My wiring harness was causing problems at the TPS connector and DC wanted to sell me a whole new wiring harness for somewhere around $350 or so. So I went and ran a small wire from a ground under the dash to a switch that I put on the steering column and then ran that to the ground wire on the plug that plugs into the top of the transmission for the OD solenoid. It's the smaller of the two wires. When you ground it out it shifts into OD. Works great! Best part is that I can shift it out of OD when going down a hill to take advantage of at least a bit of engine braking. I guess you could say I have a semi-automatic transmission now! If you need help on how to hook this up feel free to ask! Good luck,
Toby in Squamish, B.C.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:06 PM

Maybe I am really dumb , but, what is the point of dialing in where the od comes in. As far as the switch to turn on or off the od, my 93 has a switch stock on the dash. Is that the same thing as what Spitzair did??
Old 01-29-2006, 01:38 PM

Dialing in means you can set the when the OD kicks on in the cab rather then using a volt meter on the tps itself. so you can set to come on at 40mph or at 55mph. its a nice idea if you tow alot and drive alot empty etc..... the stock switch on teh dash is nice but many times the wireing on these old trucks breaks inside the insulations and its tuff to track down the trouble areas. so wireing your own switch is nice as well.

But if i remember correctly if you wire your own switch you have to remember to turn it off when coming to a stop dont you????

jiMMy
Old 01-29-2006, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by flyingd
Maybe I am really dumb , but, what is the point of dialing in where the od comes in. As far as the switch to turn on or off the od, my 93 has a switch stock on the dash. Is that the same thing as what Spitzair did??
Flyingd, no that switch just switches off your OD all together. With my switch you switch it on when you want/need it. Of course you do have to remember to turn it off when you come to a stop... Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Super Cool and CHEAP TPS fix! Dial-in your OD shift point!