1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Summer Idling/Winter Idling

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a factory way to increase idle, other than putting a stick or weight on the throttle? My FJ60 had a throttle/choke **** inside the cab and anytime it was cold and I wanted it to sit and heat up I would just pull the **** up to about 1500 and let it sit.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Banned

Some of the 89-90s had them. I think they were standard with the manuals (dont hold me to that). My 90 had one, as did one in Poplar Bluff, that, coincidentaly, was identical to my 90, on with the shorter wheelbase. My 91 and up trucks havent had them, or any place where it looked like one was removed.

Daniel
Old 07-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60
Is there a factory way to increase idle, other than putting a stick or weight on the throttle? My FJ60 had a throttle/choke **** inside the cab and anytime it was cold and I wanted it to sit and heat up I would just pull the **** up to about 1500 and let it sit.
You can add one. You should be able to find one at NAPA or at a truck parts store if there's one near you.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:01 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60
Is there a factory way to increase idle, other than putting a stick or weight on the throttle?

If you really want to be COOL, then this is the one:

http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/fin...fm?itemid=7401

That thing even has Vernier adjustment to set it right on the money.

I have driven numerous big trucks that have that same throttle floor-mounted on an upright stand, instead of dash-mounted.

That is soon to be on my personal truck.

The son's 90 W-250 has the factory throttle.

It actually presses down the foot-pedal with a little cable-operated cam device, instead of extending through the fire-wall and connecting to the injection-pump; it is actually quite ingenious.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:35 AM

WOW. Sorry to get off topic, but your truck is AMAZING. My business is hauling around classic cars, which is what I bought my diesel truck for (to replace the 4.7 gas Ram), along with a Peterbilt sleeper. I just bought a '48 Ford F-5 dump truck to do a cab swap some day. My dream was to find a White 3000 COE truck cab, but they're rare and expensive, unfortunately, like all COE's. Yours is beautiful though, if you've got any pics of the build or anything else I'd love to see 'em.

Anyway, with a truck that nice I'd actually go for an APU if you have a place to put it. If you drive it a lot it'll pay for itself quickly. I'm just putting a plain old rooftop AC unit and generator on my diesel, but I did the math and it'll save me a couple gallons a night over the cost of idling the gas truck while also working a lot better and saving engine wear, and I'd imagine the diesel uses a lot more fuel idling (maybe not, though?)
Old 07-27-2007, 05:29 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Machinos
I'd imagine the diesel uses a lot more fuel idling (maybe not, though?)

My experience with both big and small diesel engines is that they will idle all night on hardly any fuel at all.

Most privately owned big trucks will have a throttle-lock to kick idle RPMs up to 1200, or so, to increase oil-pressure and eliminate vibrations.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:22 PM

Thanks Machinos for the compliments, much appreciated. I do love the truck. I also like the White COE's you are talking about. I've never seen one in person, only seen pictures of them. I put only about 8 - 10,000 miles a year on my truck going to the street rod shows, so at that rate I doubt I could ever wear the engine out as long as I keep the oil and filters changed properly. No more than I let the truck idle, I doubt I could ever pay for an APU, although I have thought about it. I am going to drive the truck next weekend to Louisville Ky to the Street Rod Nationals. Tomorrow morning I will change the oil, grease everything, and give it a thorough going over to make sure I don't have any mishaps on the road. If anybody reading this is going to Louisville, stop by and say HI if you see me there!!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:15 AM
KRB

Received 497 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmn1

I used my e-brake for serious down hill braking for the first time this past weekend going to Branson Mo for a truck show. Its amazing how much more secure of feeling it is to be able to decelerate going down a long hill and never touching the brake pedal. I installed the e-brake back in the winter, but never really used the truck anywhere but on flat roads until this weekend.
I didn't think the e-brake could work well on an auto. Don't you have to modify the valve springs or something?
Old 07-28-2007, 07:50 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by KRB
I didn't think the e-brake could work well on an auto. Don't you have to modify the valve springs or something?
He has a 47RH trans with a locking torque converter. As long as the converter is locked the exhaust brake will work as well as it does with a manual trans.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:49 PM

Yes I have the 47RH with a lock up convertor as Wannadiesel says. I had some help with the install from wannadiesel along the way. (Thanks Wanna!)
I also had to install 60lb exhaust springs, and I have a modified valve body that allows lockup in any gear. (The stock valve body will not allow lockup in 1st and 2nd gears.) I can assure anyone that tows heavy that does not have an exhaust brake that the rear end pucker factor is greatly reduced when going down a long grade