1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Stupid Shut off solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stupid Shut off solenoid

Last night I was heading to a friends house which is all back roads for about 10 miles that has no cell service on it and there are only 2 houses on that road and they are at the opposite end then it turns into a dead end. Well it had to be my luck that every bump i was hitting the truck was sorta shutting off.I was edit myself hoping i could make it. Well about half way there it died. No cell service, 2 AM and pitch black. So I jump out wondering what happened and i look under the hood and the wire to the shut off solenoid was off. I was looking for the prong thing to put it back onto and it was no where to be found. Until i looked in the connector! the prong had broken off and i was now stranded! So i went to grab the flashlight out from under my seat and start a hike and wouldn't you know my bulb had to be burnt out on it! Around our area is sorta a skeptical place, all the people are different and you never know when to be alarmed by someone or not. Well in the end, i got picked up by the police and he told me that about an hour ago, at the other end of the road, there was a guy who got in a domestic dispute as he found his wife cheating on him at his house and the guy that was at his house took off running and the husband took off after him with a weapon!! thank god is all i can say that the police were roaming that road looking for that guy because i dont think i would have wanted to be found by a crazy drunk guy with a weapon who knew some dude took off runnin and have him see me!!!

But to the point. does anyone think i can solder a new terminal end onto the shut off? or should i just buy a new one? if so do you know where i can get one for a decent price?
Old 01-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Did the stud on top of the solenoid break off? You should be able to just replace the spade connector with a ring terminal and put it on the stud like Dodge should have in the first place...
Old 01-13-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solder would work but you risk either it failing or the solenoid failing all together. Im a pull cable fan, after mine messed me over twice.

I try to rid everything I own of things like that if it can be replaced by something mechanical. If it is just a piece of string to the mechanical cuttoff its better than the solenoid.