1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Stomp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stomp?

How Does She run?

Thanks
Brenden
Old 02-12-2006, 05:42 PM

Well I left Friday morning about 0830 hours and got up to Oregon at 1400 hours. I took the pump off my spare motor so I had some extra parts if we needed them and headed into the shop. I pulled in and started taking my pump off my pickup while the spare was in the parts washer. Got it off and started disassembling both pumps. Since all of the parts in the pump that was on my pickup were new we used it and put the KTA head/rotor in it. We stopped at around 1900 hours and went home to get something to eat and have a few more beers. We made it back to the shop at 0800 hours and completed the build up of the big pump. Put it on the test stand and found some injectors that would handle the amount of fuel that this thing is capable of flowing. It flow’s even more fuel than my last one and is not maxed out. We did do some things different this time and did not try and max it out on the test stand. We also did not use the spec VE pump injectors on the test stand so that might have something to do with it flowing more, but we are not totally sure. It spent probably 5 or so hours on the test stand trying different things, but for right now I am going to keep my mouth shut on what worked and what didn’t .

My spare pump was pretty much toast so I had to dig through a box of old parts and find some that would work. So I do have a spare just in case the big pump should fail, but I have reasons to believe that it will be just fine knock on wood.

I have been taking it easy on this new pump as recommended by KTA so it will be a while before any real results come about. I have another issue that I have to take care of before I can go play on the dyno. My rear-end sounds like it is going south so I need to take care of that and I am also going to wait until I get my new injectors before I go spend a day on the dyno. I would also like to get some more miles on the new pump before I turn it to max. So far I have 350 or so miles on it and its running fine. I do have to check the timing tomorrow, because it has never sounded like this before. It sounds way to high.

I will keep everyone up to date on how everything is working out.

Stomp
Old 02-12-2006, 05:54 PM

Sounds great man, hopefully everything will stay together and it doesnt give you any problems.

Good luck with it!
Old 02-12-2006, 06:04 PM

Good to hear that it sounds very promising. To bad about the rear diff. I can't wait to see what that pump does. Lets cross our fingers and hope all the bugs are worked out. Congrat's on the new flow numbers!

I am going to do a litttle tunin on my truck at the end of this next week finally got the dyno time. So I will have some new numbers with the N2O finally.

Thanks
Brenden
Old 02-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good luck with it Stomp! Was there ever a definitive diagnosis of what caused the first one to die?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
Good luck with it Stomp! Was there ever a definitive diagnosis of what caused the first one to die?
Yes, there has been. Looks like my plunger failed due to lack of lubrication and I think thats what caused a few others as well. The damage in my pump was so intense that it literally snapped the camplate in two and wedged it into the housing as well as shearing the key right off the shaft.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
There was a lot of speculation to what went wrong. Lack of lubrication, too much case pressure, bad fuel etc.etc. No one really knows. Why did my pump last 10k when everyone else’s pump didn’t????? The only pumps that are still running are the ones that KTA built he has two of them running and Bill has one. They still don’t have the mileage on them that I had so who is to say that they will last as long or longer??????? I hope they all last a million miles. I know for a fact that my case pressure was way too high which could superheat the fuel and reduce the lubrication, but why did the other pumps go bad????? We did get the case pressure down on this pump. KTA did add a little more tolerance to this head/rotor too see if it will help solve the problem.

I know that I still have a few things that I need to do like move my fuel pressure gauge to the other side of the fuel filter and run a bigger line to the pump from the fuel filter housing. Will it help???? It can’t hurt right??? Less restriction = more fuel going to the pump. Fuel=lubrication I am also doubling up on the additive. I did run a recommended dose in every tank with the last KTA pump.

On a side note I found out that the injectors that I have been running for 6-7 years (my honed 370's) have a pop off pressure of 4000psi or 280 BAR. We took them out and checked them because my motor was missing a little. They checked out fine. The miss is still there untill you raise the RPM's and then it goes away and runs real smooth.

Stomp
Old 02-16-2006, 10:04 PM

Stomp..
How long had you been running your FASS?? Any idea on the size of hole in the return fitting.. been thinking of a more relief valve for the outlet of the pump.. more of what the P pumps have... help to control case pressure... but it could just circulate a lot of fuel through the pump.... but I would think that the high case pressure would just damage the front seal???

Cody's pump was junk... even the case was damage...
Old 02-17-2006, 02:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are those the super secret injectors that were mentioned in passing at the RPM event??

Rick
Old 02-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stomp
On a side note I found out that the injectors that I have been running for 6-7 years (my honed 370's) have a pop off pressure of 4000psi or 280 BAR. We took them out and checked them because my motor was missing a little. They checked out fine. The miss is still there untill you raise the RPM's and then it goes away and runs real smooth.

Stomp
Sounds like they were setup for a P-pump...

Originally Posted by runamuk
Are those the super secret injectors that were mentioned in passing at the RPM event??
Rick
I think he's going to step UP to a set of POD's..
Old 02-18-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by JDGnut
I think he's going to step UP to a set of POD's..
Step up??? POD's??
Old 02-20-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by JDGnut
Stomp..
How long had you been running your FASS?? Any idea on the size of hole in the return fitting.. been thinking of a more relief valve for the outlet of the pump.. more of what the P pumps have... help to control case pressure... but it could just circulate a lot of fuel through the pump.... but I would think that the high case pressure would just damage the front seal???

Cody's pump was junk... even the case was damage...
I have been running the FASS II for right around 8 months. I dont know what the hole size is on the return fitting. I do know that the one that is in mine right now seams to be bigger than the other two that I was looking at at the pump shop. My case pressure runs about 80-100 psi depending on RPM's. We only tested it to 1350 rpm's on the test stand which is 2700 motor rpm's. I hear that is right where a stock pump usually runs. I wish I had more time to play with the return fitting on the test stand. I might put a gauge on mine to see what it is doing under different conditions. A pressure relief valve would be pretty cool and would work well if you could adjust it. If the case pressure drops too low you wont get the internal timing advance.

I found a Dana 80 and the plan is to go get it next Saturday. Its not that bad of a job so I will see if I can get that in before to long. Last time I talked to KTA he told me to put 1K miles on the pump before I max it out. I have 760 miles on it now so it wont be to long before I strap it down and she what she can do. I just want to make sure I have that other rearend in before I jump on it.

POD's I did hear from one individual that he actually made more power with some honed out POD's than he did with some different injectors that flowed the same, but had more holes. So figure that one out.

Stomp
Old 02-20-2006, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So they are the same or the same type anyway

Rick
Old 02-20-2006, 11:21 PM

Hey stomp, Your truck came with a Dana 80 from the factory right? I'm not sure what the dodges came with as I don't have one any way if you want to get rid of your old 80 I am looking for one to build.

Thanks
Brenden
Old 02-20-2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by runamuk
So they are the same or the same type anyway

Rick
No I am going to have two different sets honed out. A set of stockers (6 holes) and a set of 185's (5 holes). Well I think they are 185's??????? Not really sure what they are???? When I get those back and the Dana 80 in I will get a baselinbe with the ones I have now and then try the other two and see what works best. I am open to suggestions on sizes though.

Stomp

Quick Reply: Stomp?