1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Stereo woes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stereo woes

I've been fighting an electrical gremlin for goin in a month now. The radio likes to reset itself quite a bit and I can't figure out why. I've posted about it in here before and although I got good sound advice I wasn't able to get it fixed.

Symptoms include radio resetting when hitting a bump, sometimes when shifting (manual) and sometimes for apparently no reason at all. The confusing bit about it is the brake and abs lights come on when it happens. Also there was a period there that when I pulled my light switch out it would reset.

I've tried regrounding the antenna for the radio but my radio doesn't even use it anymore its all digital or something like that. Fuses are good connections to the radio are good.
The audio store said it could be the factory amp but I don't think these came with one. I'm dreading that ill have to take almost the entire cab apart to look for two wired rubbing somewhere.

Are there any other hints to look at? Help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by lovin1stgens
I've been fighting an electrical gremlin for goin in a month now. The radio likes to reset itself quite a bit and I can't figure out why. I've posted about it in here before and although I got good sound advice I wasn't able to get it fixed.

Symptoms include radio resetting when hitting a bump, sometimes when shifting (manual) and sometimes for apparently no reason at all. The confusing bit about it is the brake and abs lights come on when it happens. Also there was a period there that when I pulled my light switch out it would reset.

I've tried regrounding the antenna for the radio but my radio doesn't even use it anymore its all digital or something like that. Fuses are good connections to the radio are good.
The audio store said it could be the factory amp but I don't think these came with one. I'm dreading that ill have to take almost the entire cab apart to look for two wired rubbing somewhere.

Are there any other hints to look at? Help would be greatly appreciated!
No they aren't.

Actually, the common denominator is the ignition switch and it's connector.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I have to reset mine whenever I have one of my nice voltage spikes.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 PM

How does one go about fixing this? I put a new ignition in it a few years ago, is the switch separate from that? I'll crack open the column and check out all the connections tonight
Old 07-10-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the cylinder is separate from the writing portion of the ignition.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 PM

Well at least the cylinder didn't take a dump again
Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also might want to check the headlight switch, if you any kind of short in the running light circuit which is connected to the radio it can cause the radio to blink on and off.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM

I'll check that out too. Thanks for the help guys. Might be time to buy some parts and replace them since I'm in here doing this already
Old 07-13-2013, 10:40 AM

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a loose connection at your battery terminal. Mine does the same thing. When it happens to me I have to go under the hood and wiggle the neg batter clamp. Your turn signals will also fail to work when this happens.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:16 PM

I've tightened those are far as I can before causing damage.

I put a new ignition switch in last night And that only made my problems worse. After that I couldn't get my dime light to go off so I had to take the bulb out. Wonderful. Next step was to put a new light switch in. That fixed absolutely nothing.

I did notice that its predominately more noticeable when your workin the clutch. I recon the next step (unless someone has an alternative plan of attack) is to start lookin at wiring diagrams and look for wires rubbing somewhere.
I don't want to let this beat me but I'm getting tempted to send it t an electrical shop on account of it really frustrating and stressing me out
Old 07-13-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Well your main bulkhead connection and fusebox are right next to the clutch mechanism. Shouldn't be to hard to find
Old 07-22-2013, 07:33 PM

Guys I'm gettin nothin. I've tried wiggling the life out of every wire I can get my hand on and I'm comin up with doodley squat. Like ive said before new light switch and ignition switch which only
Made matters worse. Ive inspected the fuse bulk head inside and out i cant find anything wrong with it. Ive tried unplugging the abs box and it doesnt make a lick of difference. I've read through so many previous threads and I'm not finding anything. its hard to look at things when your goin down the road. Talk about frustrating....
Old 07-22-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Have you inspected the wiring in your steering column? How about checking all your grounds? Clean battery posts? Also I repaired a truck once that had a bunch of wires melted together in the harness directly above the gauges.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem and it was caused by the headlight wiring melted together further up from the switch.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 PM

Terminals are good. Wiring and plugs in the steering column is good. I had the dash and gauges out lookin around and wiggling stuff like crazy and got nothing. Any ground I could think of Got checked. Those would be the battery the radio and the antenna (although I don't need it anymore). I really Thought the whole "wiggle it to death to recreate the problem" deal would work but I guess not lol

Quick Reply: Stereo woes