1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

stereo woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 04:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stereo woes

My stereo quit the other day. I shut it off, after work it fired right back up. Yesterday morning, it quit again. My drivers door wasn't latched tight, so I open and close it again, and the stereo comes back on. It quit again and won't come back. Any ideas? Bad speaker shorted out the internal amp, maybe? It's got what looks like a cheap Sony box package (radio and speakers) in it. I had the driver's door open last night, and unplugging the speaker did nothing, and I can't find any wires that came apart in the mess under the dash.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe check where the wires go from the cab to the door... Could be a short there.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 AM

The rubber tube is in good shape at the door and bulkhead, but I'll check. I tried adjusting the balance clear right with no change, too.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:38 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
if you have another speaker laying around, hook it up directly at the sony
Old 06-10-2011, 10:19 AM

I've definitely noticed a tendency of the Cummins to shake things to death in all of the diesels I've owned. 20 year old brittle wiring combined with endless shaking from the Cummins and harsh suspension makes a great formula for wiring shorts. That and the fact that so many kits for anything from gauges to stereos seem to call for crimped connections and vampire clips over soldering. I always seem to end up going over a previous owner's installs (even clean ones) and removing all the clips and crimps in favor of soldering and heat shrunk wrapping.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:45 PM

My radio turns off when I hit a bump or expansion joint on the highway, then it turns back on.

It does it a lot so I end up turning the radio off after awhile.

The ABS light turns on and off randomly too.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:25 PM

stereo- and intermittant wipers too!!!

Someone replaced the one terminal on the fuse block for the stereo, so it shuts off down the road now and then too. But that's not the problem now. The head unit turns on, but puts out no sound.

I'm thinking I might find a cheap speaker and see what I have at the back of the unit. If nothing, I'll get some speaker wire and run new wires to new speakers, and try to do it better than this one is.

I think it'd be cool if I could find a good AM/FM/CD stereo out of a second-gen and stick in it, but I'd need the plugs, too.

It'll be a good time to set up my relays for my power windows and get rid of some of the excess wires running into the doors, too.

Went to run my washers on the way home, and found out I have no intermittant wipers. They work on slow and fast, but not on delay. They also don't work with the sprayers, either. I hope it's not going to turn into an electrical money pit.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:49 PM

A 94-02 2nd gen Stereo is plug and play.

If someone installed the sony in the truck correctly they just used an adapter harness to go from the factory dodge plugs to the back of the sony, simply unhook that adapter and remove the sony and install the Dodge radio and plug it in directly. they are color coded plus GREY and BLACK.

There's no way someone wired in that sony by splicing into the factory wires, the colors are totally different.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM

They cut the plugs off and wired it in using butt connectors. I'd need to get plugs, too.

I'm going to blame the guy who put the nasty green rattle can paint on it. Without masking ANYTHING!

I didn't work on it today. I deposited my check at the ATM the other night and the bank appearantly likes to hold ATM deposits an extra day.

I'm thinking I might just get a new head unit and some speaker wire and see what I come up with.