1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Steering!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering!

Help me out guys just starting to tear into my 93 w250 and fix up some of the major issues.

From the research I've done on here it's either:

Replace with redhat, boregson and additional bracket
Do reverse gear retro fit
Cross over steering

The most I would ever do would be level the front with the rear which would be about 2 or 3 inches I'm guessing.... What would be my best option to get this thing steering good and true so I can get the truck aligned and rebuild some of the front end components as well?
Old 05-31-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
I just don't like the stock frame bracket. The Reverse rotation parts are getting tough to find but is a way better setup. Cross over isn't bad if the frame is braced and can be made to work with a 2' lift. I was going to go with a cross over but I lucked into a Reverse Rotation ( thanks for spotting and posting that Nick")
Old 05-31-2016, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle
I just don't like the stock frame bracket. The Reverse rotation parts are getting tough to find but is a way better setup. Cross over isn't bad if the frame is braced and can be made to work with a 2' lift. I was going to go with a cross over but I lucked into a Reverse Rotation ( thanks for spotting and posting that Nick")
From what I read the reverse rotation can be used with a 2inch lift without any issues as well.

Does anyone sell the package or do you have to go out and find every part one by one?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Has anyone made a replacement bracket out of heavy plate? It wouldn't be hard. I could knock one out if I had an original (cracked or not) to get dimensions.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:47 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottSchreffler
From what I read the reverse rotation can be used with a 2inch lift without any issues as well.

Does anyone sell the package or do you have to go out and find every part one by one?
Best way is to get the parts off a 1972 to 75 w100 to w300.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 PM

Best way is to get the parts off a 1972 to 75 wi00to w300.
will start hunting if anyone has any leads feel free to point me in the right direction HAHA
Old 06-17-2016, 10:40 AM

Best way is to get the parts off a 1972 to 75 w100 to w300.
So I'm having no luck sourcing these parts.. Can you order parts off rock auto or other vendors for this truck?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 308 Likes on 234 Posts
Sourcing the steering box shouldn't be a problem but you'd have to eat the core charge unless you go local. If you go to a local Advance etc you could put your old steering box in for the core charge since they don't really check (or seem to care) as long as there is something that is not a rock in the box.

The drag links can be found pretty easily. There is a place called Saturn Surplus that has a bunch of factory Mopar drag links in the $50 range.

The pitman arm is another story. That is going to involve luck, internet digging, CL, forum classifieds, and the local (and a few not so local) JY's.

Ditto for the cradle that mounts the RR box to the frame. You could possibly fabricate the cradle mount. I would give that a difficulty level of moderate for someone with experience.

For example: I was perusing CL and found a guy parting out some old dodge trucks. I called him and he had all of the RR steering stuff that I was looking for. I drove 8 hours roundtrip to get it. I also stayed the night with some friends that were about an hour from where I picked up the parts.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MrFusion
Sourcing the steering box shouldn't be a problem but you'd have to eat the core charge unless you go local. If you go to a local Advance etc you could put your old steering box in for the core charge since they don't really check (or seem to care) as long as there is something that is not a rock in the box.

The drag links can be found pretty easily. There is a place called Saturn Surplus that has a bunch of factory Mopar drag links in the $50 range.

The pitman arm is another story. That is going to involve luck, internet digging, CL, forum classifieds, and the local (and a few not so local) JY's.

Ditto for the cradle that mounts the RR box to the frame. You could possibly fabricate the cradle mount. I would give that a difficulty level of moderate for someone with experience.

For example: I was perusing CL and found a guy parting out some old dodge trucks. I called him and he had all of the RR steering stuff that I was looking for. I drove 8 hours roundtrip to get it. I also stayed the night with some friends that were about an hour from where I picked up the parts.
Stearing box I'll probably go with one of the big rebuilders.

I'm somewhat surprised that one of you guys hasn't put together a kit to sell for these trucks. Have everything you need ready to go painted ready to bolt up. I would ****** it up that's for sure and I'm sure others would too.

You're somewhat close to me do you have any leads with junk yards?
Old 06-17-2016, 11:43 AM

What's your 20? (location)
Old 06-17-2016, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MrFusion
What's your 20?
I'm on the Nortwest side of PA, but travel all over the state for work.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:11 PM

You could check these U-pull-its:
Greble in Myerstown
Joe's U pull it near Hamburg
Stoneroads in Shamokin

They all have a decent amount of turnover.

There's also:
Johnny's in Carlisle
Be Green in Marysville (that's near me so I'll check them now and then)

There are a couple U pull its in the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area but I haven't had much luck with them. They're all picked over pretty hard.

I can ask around to a couple guys I know that might have some of those parts. If you're going to one of those JY's on a weekend shoot me a PM and I might be able to meet up with you.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:44 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Oliver Foster just did the RR in one of his trucks last week.... or this week (they all seem to run together lately)...

He might have some parts, or not.....
Old 06-17-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,600 Posts
I did just finish up a RR swap on my lifted '85 crew cab on Tuesday.
I used a Redhead rebuilt box and a Borgenson 36 spline steering shaft for the 13/16s output on my steering box.
I had a factory core to send them.

My daughter helped me bleed the power steering lines by cranking on the wheel while I kept the fluid topped off.

The rest of the needed RR parts I had saved over the years for this project.
I might have some spare RR parts if you can't find anything down in PA..
Old 06-18-2016, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I did just finish up a RR swap on my lifted '85 crew cab on Tuesday.
I used a Redhead rebuilt box and a Borgenson 36 spline steering shaft for the 13/16s output on my steering box.
I had a factory core to send them.

My daughter helped me bleed the power steering lines by cranking on the wheel while I kept the fluid topped off.

The rest of the needed RR parts I had saved over the years for this project.
I might have some spare RR parts if you can't find anything down in PA..
I haven't had any luck in PA I certainly would be interested in purchasing them off you if you wanted to sell them!

Quick Reply: Steering!