1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

squeaking under the hood...fan???

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaking under the hood...fan???

i have this squeaking noise under the hood and im not exactly sure what it is at this point. thought it could be the belt...so i changed it...still squeaks. then i put a *new* pully on the tensioner...still squeaks. there is also the tensioner that is stationary that i have not changed. it is either that or the fan. the fan wiggles just a little bit...some of the time but not all the time. so im thinkin the bearings in the fan clutch could be bad.

here's my question. which would be better???...new fan clutch or do away with it and install an elec. fan? i called and a new fan clutch is $60 and i have to wait 3 days. an elec. fan usually runs about $80. my paticular fan has the lefthanded nut and then 4 small bolts to hold on the pully. if i take the fan assembly off, will it be ok to run the pully on by itself? i went to NAPA and they had a fan clutch that was for my truck...but it wasnt. it used 4 bolts instead of one large left handed nut. so they will have to order the right one if i want it.

if i go electric...is there any power gain or any other positive effect??? if not, then i should just go with the new fan clutch.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:29 PM

The fan idler bearing is probably on its way out. Pull it out and see if the grease has blown out of it.

Electric fans wont pull the cfm a clutch fan will. I wouldnt run without a fan, if you get stuck in traffic where you cant get any air across the radiator you'll have a problem.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:54 PM

thats understandable...i wouldnt run without a fan either. i just thought that maybe 2 10" fans would do it or maybe one 12 or 14"??? but i think i might have figured out that it might be the A/C pully. ok so long story, i tried to convert the A/C over to r134a but soon after i noticed that there was a puddle of oil on the ground underneath the A/C. and there was lime green oil (like antifreeze) on the bottom of the A/C. it was not until then that the truck started to squeak. so today i sprayed one pully after another until the noise stopped and the A/C is where it stopped. so i think i will just bypass it and get a belt for non A/C. but the fan still needs replaced if it has wiggle in it bc sooner or later it will cause the seal to leak and there goes the water pump.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:04 PM

The fan has its own idler seperate from the water pump on these trucks so its pretty easy to take the idler off and check that bearing.

Theres alot of threads about changing over to electric fans, i dont think any combination of electric fans will come near what my clutch fan does at full lockup. But if you dont tow alot im sure you could make it work.