1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Speedometer repair fiasco

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speedometer repair fiasco

So I have been following the speedo threads here and decided to send mine in, to Southern Electronics, (the link posted on this forum) What a mistake that was.
At first I was going to replace the green gear my self, but after calling them and explaining the speedo bounce going on, they said oh you definaatly have a problem on the board with a leaky capacitor. So I sent them the speedo and $195 for the repair. Well after 26 days of nothing I called them to see what was up. They told me my speedo was sitting on the shelf while they tried to find a movment for it. I asked "when were you going to tell me?" They had no answer. They told me the speedo came to them with a broken movement and no needle. Well I could not say about the movement, biut the needle was on the face of the gauge when I taped up the box, so I know they were lieing. I asked, so now what ? They said movements were very hard to find and it would cost an additional $150 to fix. Now it would be $345.
I got on the internet and found DNA Speedometers in Tampa FL. Called them they told me, 1 there is no movement, it is a motor, 2 these speedos are made in Germany by VDO. Same as Porshe, VW and others, and many parts are interchangable. They told me it would cost a total of $190 to fix everything.
I told southern send my speedo back, now. It came back with a note stateing that is had been received by them "completley disassembled" another lie, I took 8 screws out of the back and removed the green gear. nothing more. Also Southern had soldered all these little red jumper wires all over the board, completly unessesary acording to DNA.
Any way I got my speedo back today from DNA ready to reinstal.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
dont you have any pick a part yards?
Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by sooty
dont you have any pick a part yards?
is that a junk yard ? yes of course
Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 PM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
yeah, the cheaper remove it yourself yards, speedo, 15.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:12 PM

Prob with the junk yard is, how long will that speedo last ? (it is common for a capacitor to leak on these models, that ruins the circit boards) besides I like the 418,000 miles on my odometer. I intend to keep this truck until I don't have to work any more, it that ever happens.

junk yards are good for some things but not everything IMO
Old 06-07-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't care how long it'll last: $15 or so, vs. $345 spells it for me. For a speedo, there are only so many parts you'd address that I'd go several times to the boneyard
Old 06-16-2010, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
West coasters like Sooty don't realize how good they have it sometimes with respect to the availability of good used parts at very reasonable prices. I grew up in SoCal maintaining my car with pieces from the self serve junkyards there. Took a trip to Baltimore via St. Louis and in both places had a very difficult time finding self service junk yards and when I did the majority of vehicles in them were under 10 years old. 20 year old vehicles like my truck were non-existant. We west coasters really have it made with respect to used part availability.