1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Speedometer and odometer intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer and odometer intermittent

So on my 92 truck the speedometer and odometer quit working intermittently. and only for a few seconds to a minute at a time. I think i've narrowed the problem to a wiring problem from the harness on the fender to the speedometer head unit and here's why:

The cruise control still works while the speedo/odo quit working. So since the cruise keeps working the sending unit to the computer has to be good, right?

I've cleaned the connection at the speedometer head and at the bulkhead through the firewall. And looking at the wiring diagram there is a junction where the signal from the sender branches to the computer and then to the speedo head.

Am I right in my diagnoses?

thanks.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:18 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by apwatson50
So on my 92 truck the speedometer and odometer quit working intermittently. and only for a few seconds to a minute at a time. I think i've narrowed the problem to a wiring problem from the harness on the fender to the speedometer head unit and here's why:

The cruise control still works while the speedo/odo quit working. So since the cruise keeps working the sending unit to the computer has to be good, right?

I've cleaned the connection at the speedometer head and at the bulkhead through the firewall. And looking at the wiring diagram there is a junction where the signal from the sender branches to the computer and then to the speedo head.

Am I right in my diagnoses?

thanks.
So far. Fault has to be between the wire splice and the eyeball, and could be in the speedo itself, ie a bad solder joint.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
J_martin, thanks for the response and confirmation. One thing I didn't mention and should have is that I've got another speedometer gauge cluster from a wrecked truck with ~40k less miles and put that cluster in for a couple days. Same issue. So it has to be in the wiring between that splice and the head unit.

thanks, Aaron