1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Speedometer/Cruise help! - Yes, I searched before posting :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speedometer/Cruise help! - Yes, I searched before posting :)

Yesterday on my way to work, I noticed my Speedo was not working, so when I got to work I got on DTR and started searching for a place to begin my troubleshooting. All I found were posts about W series trucks with sensors coming out of their t-case. I looked at my tranny for grins and I did not find any type of speedo line coming out of it that might be broke/loose, but it was getting dark and I did not have a flashlight handy.

Then on the way home, I noticed I did not have cruise either. Upon searching this morning again, I also notice there was some question as to if the horn would work, which I unfortunantly did not try, and I rode with the Wifey to work today, so my truck is not here with me to test the horn.

I am just looking for some direction to start troubleshooting on the D-series. Also, all other gauges seem to be working flawlessly.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 AM

on my two wheel drive there is a plug that is on the getrag that when it rattles loose or falls out (i broke it before and have it wedge in for now) the speedometer quits working. lokk and see if anything is hanging from the tranny. hope this helps
Old 12-04-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ol' 93 12 valve
on my two wheel drive there is a plug that is on the getrag that when it rattles loose or falls out (i broke it before and have it wedge in for now) the speedometer quits working. lokk and see if anything is hanging from the tranny. hope this helps
So its an electrical type plug and not a cable type?
Old 12-04-2007, 10:51 AM

Mine does the same thing, I have an electric speed adapter on the driver side of the trans right above the crossmember. it rattles loose and falls off, hangs by the wires until I re-install it again. Nope, no cable
Old 12-04-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckU
Mine does the same thing, I have an electric speed adapter on the driver side of the trans right above the crossmember. it rattles loose and falls off, hangs by the wires until I re-install it again. Nope, no cable
and mine has worked itself loose enough to completely unscrew from the transmission at least 3 times. Fortunately, each time, I noticed the speedo and/or cruise not working and crawled under and reattached it before it disconnected from the wire and bounced down the road never to be seen again.

Start by making sure that the speed sensor is even connected to the transmission.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:54 AM

Thanks to everyone for the guidance, and you were correct. After getting under the truck with a light, I found the whole mechanism that goes into the transmission laying on the cross-member. Lucky I did not lose it.

I still have a problem though. This thing come apart in two pieces. The end with the grease zirk that went into the tranny, and the other end that has the electrical connection. I took it apart to clean and grease, and when re-assembling, I cracked the threaded head on the electrical connection side. I should have known better than to tighten that much.

My question is this - is that part easy to come by from the dealer, or does anyone have a junk getrag laying around they might be willing to donate/sell that part from?
Old 12-05-2007, 09:06 AM

check your local parts house. I got mine from discount auto i think napa has them to
Old 12-05-2007, 09:58 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
actuallywhat you have there are two different parts, the Speed Sending Unit and teh Gear reducer.
The sending unit is the part that actually attachs to teh tranny and the gear reducer mounts to it.
The speed sensor can be got at NAPA for around $48, the gear reducer is a dealer only part and is close to $75

when you reinstall them, use a little bit of sealant tape on the threads, and they well stay together better without over torquing them, and clean the electrical connections and use some dielectrical grease in them. While you ar under there, check the wire sheaths for brittleness and cracking, which can cause shorts-resulting in faulty or irratic speedo readings...
Old 12-05-2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks to everyone for the direction on the parts and re-assembly advice.

DTR ROCKS!!