1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Speedo: Old Problem, New Solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speedo: Old Problem, New Solution

My speedo and cruise control worked fine for several months until I ran into a hellacious rain storm. My cruise control started to surge-and-die and speed needle began waving. That situation has bugged me off and on for several years so when I got a chance I started twisting the output journal as before only this time nothing I did helped. I finally narrowed it to the VSS so took it and the last few inches of electrical leads to the bench for some tests. Turns out that water was able to get into the terminals past the wires and crap out the tiny electrical signals. I cleared out the water with a few drops of liquid soap (WD40 woulda been better but I didn't have any). Now works perfectly again. I smeared the wire holes in the plug with silicone sealant to keep water out and when I get home I'll fill the terminal with dielectric grease. Easy solution to a distressing problem, ....
Old 06-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ppiggppenn
I smeared the wire holes in the plug with silicone sealant to keep water out
ppiggppenn,
another idea is brush on electrical tape.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1MPX8 I get mine at a jobber parts store here.
On my '92 back when, the water in fuel sensor wires were stripped back a little and would lite the light in the dash anytime I washed the engine. A couple of brush strokes later kept the water off the wires. Just a thought.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks man, ... yah I'll steady this up better when I get home but for now I'm on the road and have to make do with what I brung and what WallyMart has, ... cheers
Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're ever travelin' thru the Stettler area let me know, maybe we could have a wobbely pop or somethin'.
P/M me if you want my #.