1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

>>> spare tire hanger <<<

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 09:15 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
>>> spare tire hanger <<<

Well, hanging under the wife's truck, right in the way of just about anything that goes on under there was a big fat 235-85-16 spare-tire, suspended by what may very well be the last surviving intact and entire original spare-tire hanger of it's vintage.

It was right in the way of progress today, so I spun down that one-sided wing-nut, and, with the wife holding it's weight with a pry-pole, removed the nut and then eased it to the ground.

The tire is a Michelin, brand-new with all the little mold fuzzys, with no evidence of ever having been on the ground, and with a 1990 date-code and plenty of dry-cracks; if it were bolted on in this 90* heat and driven over 20-MPH, the tread would probably sling off and take the mirror with it.

Now that it is out from under there and I had to also remove the long cradle, I doubt the spare will ever be carried under there again.

The cradle/hanger will probably reside hanging on the barn wall from thus forward.

Now, I gotta procure a BIAS 7.50X16 steer tire to replace that dangerous old/new radial.

Are there any others out there still hanging on the original old cradle ??
Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i couldnt even get the wing nut to turn on mine.. had to torch it out. id like to get my hands on another one to keep my spare out of the bed.

lots of good parts get ruined in the salt-belt.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, mine is still hanging under the bed. Can't swear that it's factory original but it doesn't look like it's spent much time on the ground in it's life and it's what was under there when I bought the truck years ago. My "spare" is in the bed and what's under the bed is my spare "spare".
Old 07-02-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine still has sticker on tire
Old 07-02-2011, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When my dad bought the truck he told the dealership to keep their spare. It was something over 3 or 4 hundred dollars. He ended up putting a DMI bumper on it, so there's no room for a tire there anyway.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:24 AM

Got the cradle, but newer tire
Old 07-03-2011, 03:15 AM

My truck is 92 and I just picked it up a few weeks sheep l ago aced our had no spare.......but with thee cradle intact I put a tire in and cranked it into place. I love the original spare tire holder and I am glad to see the my truck still has

it.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Mine's under there, too. When I buy new tires I always stuff the best of the old set under there, so my spare is not 18 years old.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:03 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by speed75
Mine still has sticker on tire

The original tire from when the truck was new ???
Old 07-03-2011, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a goodyear wrangler. Looked really old. Actually when I bought the truck on the way home a tire failed and went egg shaped. I used the spare for maybe 2 months until I got new tires and then put it back under there. I also took it down for a while when working on the brakes a while back. Its a big pain to take it down and put it up thats why it rides in the bed for a long time after it comes down. I want to swap in the 2nd gen crank down set up at some point.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Banned

My '92 is all still there, probably never get it out without a torch though. My 93's is in much better shape, just like the rest of the truck.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:00 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Bought a 93 parts truck last year and had to torch the spare out from under the bed. Brand new goodyear wrangler. the rim was so rusted the I doubt it would have held the weight of the truck. Every thing looked original. Last month had a flat on my 90 and had to borrow a hack saw to cut the spare from it's mount under the bed.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:37 AM

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
The OEM Michelin that came with the truck when my dad bought it new is still under there. Surprisingly it has no age cracks and I had to use if for a couple of hundred miles last summer.

On the ground I'm running four 7-inch Ford steelies and I now have a fifth one to use as a spare (generously donated by a member of this forum). Next time I purchase tires I'm going to buy five and go to a 5-wheel rotation. This will ensure my spare is checked often and the tire dealer will have to struggle with that nasty spare tire carrier.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:31 PM

While its not the original tire, its the original wheel and yes its still under hanging in the cradle. I took two short lengths of 2x4" and made an L shape. I put the bottom of the L shape board on the pad of my floor jack and jack it up onto the cradle taking the weight off the wing nut to remove it. Once off I make sure I slather a good coat of Green Grease on the threads and it never seizes up.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have never seen the factory set up. I would like to procure a hanger or make my own. If anyone has a picture I would sure appreciate it.

Quick Reply: >>> spare tire hanger <<<