1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Smashed my baby............

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 10:27 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smashed my baby............

Well...as of around 1700 local, I am truckless.

Many of the LEO's on here will know what "DWHUA" stands for, I was guilty of it this afternoon and came darn close to killing a realy nice older lady in a 01 Chevy Lumina.
I took my eyes off the road, ran a red light and T-boned her at 40 mph.
Totalled the Lumina, I am talking about 18 inches of crush damage, impact was right dead center on teh drivers door post. Thank God she was wearing a seat belt. She was transported via ambulance, though she was ambulatory at the scene.
I was coming home from the grocery store, and a bag slid across the seat , I took my eyes off the road while I moved it back, and when I looked back, the light had changed and there ws no way I was going to get stopped.......
Took out my front bumper, grill, both fendrs, hood, upper radiator suppot, radiator and A/C cooler. Thankfully the frame doesnt apear bent, and there is no damage to teh engine or front supension that is visible at this point.

Guys, hving read the posts on here for so long about how we all drive, I think most of us are carefull, considerate drivers. But please remember it only takes a second........

BTW, You first gen'ers update your ads in the classifieds.....
I think the insurance companyis going to total the truck..
Old 10-15-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry, to hear about that. hope she is ok. make sure you see if you can buy the salvage back from the insurance company if they do total it. chances are the salvage will only be a fraction of the value and you can probably make more parting it youself if it comes to that. i got side swiped in a sentra we had. we had paid $400. insurance said is was worth $4600, and salvage value was $800. so i took the check for $3800 and kept the car. ended up selling it for $2000 without putting any more into it. just a thought. again hope everyone is alright and sorry it happened!
Old 10-15-2006, 11:53 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Comanche with out his horse thats bad juju sorry chris to hear about your truck I know all to well about that one my way to work this morning I for some reason glanced down for what I thought was a second to look at something on my shoe and when i looked up i was clear over on the shoulder scared the you know what out of me i sat up right with hands at ten and two the whole rest of the way like a good boy
Old 10-16-2006, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chris, Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear that you're OK and hope that she will be also.

For those of us not up on LEO acronyms, what is "DWHUA"?

Hopefully you'll be able to rebuild your truck the way you want it but if you decide not to, let us know. I'm sure that it would part out for much more than the insurance company would give.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by 12valve@heart
Chris, Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad to hear that you're OK and hope that she will be also.

For those of us not up on LEO acronyms, what is "DWHUA"?

Hopefully you'll be able to rebuild your truck the way you want it but if you decide not to, let us know. I'm sure that it would part out for much more than the insurance company would give.
I had to look it up. It is "driving with head up (rear facing orifice)."

Sorry bout the truck. Glad everyone is still alive!
Old 10-16-2006, 06:06 AM

We all hate accedents but as long as ppl involved are ok, trucks can be replaced or fixed. Glad your both ok.
Old 10-16-2006, 12:14 PM

Glad you're both ok.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:53 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Glad you are OK, and as good faith, you ought to go and visit that old lady and be very extreme with forgiveness; I'm talking flowers, phone calls, can I pick you up anything from the grocery store, etc. I don't mean to be negative, but as soon as people heal up and get fed crapola suggestions from others, all of a sudden an attorney comes a knockin. And if it goes that way, at least your concerns for her and her health were there. CARMA is king, remember that.
As far as the truck, if it makes you feel better, after I totaled my 91 3 years ago, I came across a 93 w/ 69,000 original miles on it just 2 weeks after the wreck. If you look hard, I mean real hard, you Will find another one, probably better than you had. Good things WILL come your way. Things happen for a reason, and soon enough, when the smoke clears, you, too, will find out why. Glad you're OK, man.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:41 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Sounds like it was a heck of a crash! It's amazing the lady in the Lumina wasn't killed.

Like others have said, don't let them keep the truck. Take the check and part out the truck if it's too far gone to save, you will lose less money that way.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:52 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Keeps getting better!

Well, I have had the same policy with this insurance company( not sure if i can say who w/o violating site rules) for 3 years now. I have renewed twice during that time.
Today the adjuster calls me and says" Sir, you are aware you have NO collision coverage for this vehicel arent you??
I say " WHAT"!!!! of course I have, who would be stupid enough to insure a vehicel without it?
Well sir, apearantly you were. We looked at your policy and you have comprehensive, and liability, towing and glass breakage, but NOT collision......
Bottom line, they are refusing the claim at this point.
Their claim is that when I applied, I didnt specifically ask for collision coverage, just " full comprehensive"( which to me meant everything)......
So, while they are covering the Lumina , they are not going to even look at my truck...
I have already contacted the insurance commisioners office, but the BOSS works for an attorney here, who thinks I am probably up a creek..........

Just gets better and better...........
Old 10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yep, you are on your own for this one. "Comprehensive" to an insurance agent just means coverage for stuff that happens while you're NOT driving (tree falls on truck parked in driveway, for example).
Old 10-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a plan! Blame the little ol lady! It's the American way! It's her fault your truck is totaled! If she hadn't been driving along minding her own business you would not have hit her! I should be a lawer.

Cause you have a 91 is was probably better (at the time) to have liability only. Part out the old one and buy a new one.

Sorry man. I feel you pain. When you loose an old friend it hurts.