General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

My baby is not my baby for long.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 04:10 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My baby is not my baby for long.

for those who don't know :

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=69545

I bought it on friday , got it home , and went to change the title into my name, and found out it had salvage on it , i had been told it had LIGHT front end damage. i figured a little light damage on a ctd wouldn't hurt anything , so it didn't scare me off.

So , being that the title has salvage on it , and the truck was repaired , it had to go in for an inspection , well , make REALLY long things short , the shop estimated $4000 before it would pass, this is not a normal inspection, and this is the only shop near me that can do it.

So i called the seller , and gave him the low down on the deal, (this is saturday night btw), i basically gave him the option of letting me have it fixed , and him covering the bill, or him taking the truck back , and me getting my money back. Either way i am still going to be out about 500 bucks for travelling costs and the inspection and whatnot. He decided that he could not come up with the money to fix it (which i think is odd because i just paid him 4 times that much for the truck) , so he would take it back, but the catch was he already spent a bunch of my money , and he doesn't have it to give back.

So i went into the bank this morning to put a stop payment on the check , only to find out it had already cleared, but they thought since it had JUST cleared maybe they could still put stop on it, i will know the answer to that tomorrow morning.

If the stop payment was not soon enough , he said he would still pay me back , but he doesn't have all of the money to give back right now, but he figured he could have it all within a month , which i think is completely unreasonably , since i would still be stuck paying on a loan.

I would most certainly not let him have the truck back until every last sent was paid back, so that should be encouragement for him to hurry up.

So it looks like i am in the market for a truck again.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy Cow, please tell me this wasn't an Ebay deal?
Sounds like a genreally UNreasonable person. That should be some kind of Fraud, like punishable by law. A salvage title is rarely a good thing, too much room for "how bad was it"?

Good Luck.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:38 PM

kcastun.

Keep in mind, from here on, to used www.autocheck.com or www.carfax.com, either one would save you a ton in this case.

While in the market for 96_12V, I found a '95 Automatic 2wd regular cab that was a green with a silver bottom with a cap near my work that had Alaska plates on it and had - 19k miles. The truck seemed alright, although driving it seemed a little skittish on the road, not really stable and secure as these truck are supposed to be. I didn't trust the owner, who said it had been his father's truck and it was shipped down to them after he past away. (Turns out that part was true.)

I still wasn't satisfied with what I saw and felt so I asked him if I could take it to a local Dodge dealer for inspection. At first, he balked. When I said I would be done if I could not, he accepted but insisted upon going along as well. After they pulled it in and put in on the lift, the service tech came and grabbed me - and asked the owner to stay where he was seated. In short, it had had a major front-end collision - the frame was CUT AND RE - WELDED in four or five places.

In addition, they indictaed the truck had been in there for service about a year ago, with about 80 less miles for service of some sort. So the truck had been SITTING in this dude's driveway for over a year. They didn't charge me a dime for that brief inspection. As I drove the owner home, (who looked like a cat that had been trapped by a dog at this point) I didn't talk to him. When I got back, he asked if I was ready to buy it? I said "of course not." and walked off. Never looked back even as I pulled away. Wonder what happed to that rig, that was about four years ago...
Old 06-06-2005, 05:08 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carfax is a good one, I got my Carfax Report AFTER I bought my truck (Duh!).
I was relieved to know that all was as described, Whew!
My father in law had a Motorhome he decided to sell a few months back. I put it on Ebay for him, the buyer was from RI, about 250 miles from here. He sent out Magoo, (a vehicle inspection company) the inspector picked the thing apart. Found defects that my father in law was STUNNED on! Last but not least, odometer fraud. According to this deeper version of the Carfax, the vehicle had been rolled back just before my father in law go it. (in 2002)
Never know about some people. In our case, The seller was acting in good faith, but had been beaten when he bought it! Gotta be VERY careful, local sales with people in your own community are prefered, but of course the selection stinks.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:51 PM
JKM

Originally posted by pjsnyder76
Holy Cow, please tell me this wasn't an Ebay deal?
Sounds like a genreally UNreasonable person. That should be some kind of Fraud, like punishable by law. A salvage title is rarely a good thing, too much room for "how bad was it"?

Good Luck.
No it was not an e-bay deal.

And your exactly right , how bad was it? How do i know who did what to it and when? the seller claims to know nothing about how the front end was damaged , but once you really look underneith , it is easy to see that it hit something hard enough to drive the axle right back into the oil pan , and the 4 new control arms look suspicious.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:23 PM

OD fraud should be punishible by death.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:38 AM

Wow, that sucks! Hope you can get your money back!

This is just one of the reasons I bought new. That, and the fact that everyone in this area wanted $5000+ MORE than blue book on the CTDs
Old 06-07-2005, 03:19 PM
JKM

Well, i talked to the bank today , the stop payment did not go through fast enough , so i have to call the seller tonight and see what his plan is for getting my money back, and not in a month, NOW.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by fearthedeere
OD fraud should be punishible by death.
Death is too good.... tie the SOB up between 2 CTDs and TUG O'WAR!
Old 06-07-2005, 06:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is it with the Canadian DMV that proves soooo theft/Con/B.S.??

This sounds like a con job to me and apparently you have no one but the DMV to watch your back.

FYI you are not the first one, do a search.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:05 PM
JKM

Well , the truck went home today , He gave me back all he had left , and a post dated cheques for the rest , i have all his info , so if they bounce , small claims court will take car of it , but he said as soon as he sells the truck again he will send me a new payment for the rest of the amount.

And he says he has a guy coming tomorrow to look at it.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:53 PM

i feel sorry for that guy that is coming to look at it.....
Old 06-08-2005, 11:59 PM

Nope ... I don't believe I would have let him take the truck back without me having the FULL price of the truck back in my hot little hands.

He wasn't exactly honest with you about the damage, what makes you think those post-dated checks are any good ??

I hope for the best for you, but I fear you might be in for a rough go with this guy.

PISTOL
Old 06-09-2005, 10:37 AM
JKM

Originally posted by PistolWhipt
Nope ... I don't believe I would have let him take the truck back without me having the FULL price of the truck back in my hot little hands.

He wasn't exactly honest with you about the damage, what makes you think those post-dated checks are any good ??

I hope for the best for you, but I fear you might be in for a rough go with this guy.

PISTOL
maybe he was , maybe he wasn't honest about the damage , seems this truck was around the block twice with the whole salvage thing, wrecked once , then repaired and wrecked again, i think it was the first wreck that completely peeled the front axle out from under the truck , took the mounts right off of the frame when it went , i think...

then it was repaired , and wrecked again , which is when the guy i bought from got it , I THINK...

maybe he knows about all the damage and didn't tell me , maybe he doesn't know himself , but it is plain to see where the axle hit the oil pan while making it's exit from under the truck.

I have contacted my lawyer , and if it comes down to going that route , he does not have a chance , i have witnesses to the whole deal , and i have it in writing. He seems to be sincere , always calls me back promptly , i have his cell , home and fax numbers , his business number , etc etc , i know where he lives , etc , he knows basically nothing about me , so i think if he was gonna stiff me , he wouldn't have been so forthcoming with information , and probably been a little more shady about things.

He assures me that as soon as it sells he will send me a cheque for the remainder , i have that in writing , and witnessed several times buy different people.

I would rather not take the legal route , and settle this as friendly as possible. BUT , if it comes down to it , i will take the legal route if i have to , and i will go for all i can...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:38 AM
JKM

Did i mention that i already have a lead on a 98 12v?

Quick Reply: My baby is not my baby for long.