1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Self adjusting breaks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self adjusting brakes?

Hey, I thoughts these were suppose to be self adjusting brakes on our trucks? I just did the rear drums about six months ago, all new parts including hubs (don't ask ) neglect will make you do stupid things! Anyway, I noticed the other day that I sure have been standing on the break peddle hard lately and I think I smell the front disc over heating.

I decided to drive in reverse and hit the brakes a few times but no avail. I finally jacked up the back end and manually adjusted the driver side first and I must have spun that dial 5 times around before I heard the shoes scraping the hub. The passenger side on one full revolution (5 full strokes on the starwheel) and it started touching too. The difference was amazing. I had to learn to brake all over again.

Is this the way it is with self adjusting brakes? Man do they suck.

brad
Old 12-27-2005, 02:07 PM

Sometimes they work sometimes they don't. It's a good idea to change the self adjusters when you're in there. The older they get the less they work like they're supposed to. I cleaned mine up and put some lub on the threads and they work pretty good. ( knocks on wood)
Old 12-27-2005, 02:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think most of us just hand adjust them every oil change. A few clicks and you are good to go for another 3 months. Your E b rake shgould ahve told you there was a problem also. It should start braking within an inch or two of the top of the peddle travel.

If you really want good braking replace the stock slave cylinders with 1 ton GM's. Just hold on to your coffee.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
If you really want good braking replace the stock slave cylinders with 1 ton GM's. Just hold on to your coffee.
Better yet, get rid of those lousy drums and convert to rear disk. You'll never need to adjust them again.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:57 AM

Every time I was inside my rear brakes, I noticed that the self adjusters were OFF of their position. I ended up finally just cutting that cable as it never did work for mine.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:59 AM

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DesertRat93
Better yet, get rid of those lousy drums and convert to rear disk. You'll never need to adjust them again.
What year truck would i get disc brakes from that will go under a w350?
Old 12-28-2005, 12:04 PM

One thing is if the shoes weren't close enough to touch the drums when you 1st put them in then they would not adjust , the next is the self adjusters work while backing up and taping the peddle , then a nother is its easy to put the adjuster on backwards.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I put in all new hardware when I was in my rear brakes this summer and the self-adjusters seem to be working - for now.

To expand on what John said: the FSM says that the self adjusters will work IF you hit the brakes in reverse, come to a complete stop, then drive forward a couple feet.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:52 AM

HTML Code:
To expand on what John said: the FSM says that the self adjusters will work IF you hit the brakes in reverse, come to a complete stop, then drive forward a couple feet.
These are called "self adjusting" because if you want them adjusted, you have to crawl under the truck and adjust them yourself.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:34 AM

I had a problem with my right rear wheel over tightening itself after a short drive, to the point that I couldn't push it(the truck) back and forth in the garage. I removed the cable portion and haven't had that problem since, just have to adjust it myself.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by PeytonMaterne
I had a problem with my right rear wheel over tightening itself after a short drive, to the point that I couldn't push it(the truck) back and forth in the garage. I removed the cable portion and haven't had that problem since, just have to adjust it myself.
Sounds like the adjusters got swapped side-to-side....

No matter how hard I try, I can't get mine to "self-adjust" - but it does get lots of strange looks when I drive 40 MPH in reverse and slam on the brakes. I normally adjust mine when I change the oil or before I do any heavy towing.