1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Seeking words of wisdow...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking words of wisdow...

I just bought a '93 D250 with 185k auto with o/d for $2000. I will be picking it up tomorrow and driving it home. I am a Dodge nut and own more than 60 Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth cars and trucks. Most are from the 60's and 70's. I have ALWAYS wanted a Diesel truck. I have own a number of v8's and currently have a v10 (MPG is horrible). My main work truck is a '84 D350 rollback with a 360 4 speed that ran hot and mushroomed two valves. I pulled the heads and was going to refresh the entire engine while it's out and tore down. Well yesterday while looking through Craigslist...I found the '93 with a asking price of $2300. Well $2000 dollars later, I'm thinking I'm going to convert my '84 rollback to DIESEL!!! Well, I've been reading old posts here for that past 20 hours...lol. Good information! My problem in terms of the conversion is...PTO for my hydraulics. Based on what I've read the auto 2wd tranny does not have a PTO port. What are my options:... One buy a Getrag and replace the 4 speed, two rebuild the 360 and sale the v10.... I'm happy about being hours away from having my very first Dodge Diesel...at the same time I won't be able to use it for what I bought it for. The Diesel power and mileage would have been a perfect fit for the rollback! I currently have a '95 v10 4x4 2500, a '99 v6 Dakota 2wd auto (commuter), a '78 D100 with a built 440 and my '84 Rollback tagged. Now I have the '93 D250...I have not told my wife about not being able to use the Diesel in my rollback yet. She knows how much I love the diesel sound and how much I've really wished my rollback was diesel. She is not going to be happy to hear that the $2000 I just spent for the donor is not enough. Although I'm calling it a donor...it's a nice truck. I will post pictures of it tomorrow. I guess I can post the CL ad in the meantime.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1993 Dodge Pickup - $2300.pdf (123.8 KB, 211 views)
Old 01-20-2008, 07:51 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Good find!

Yes, you could put in a 5 speed (Getrag or NV4500). Alternate solutions would be to find a divorced NP205 transfer case and mount it under the truck just for the PTO, or to buy an auto trans and transfer case out of a 4X4 and use them to get the PTO. Another solution would be a belt driven hydraulic pump. Finally you might also be able to use a power steering pump from a medium duty 5.9 to run the hydraulics. You'd need an electric vacuum pump to run the brakes and HVAC system though.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:56 PM

Looks like a nice truck. What is a rollback?

Just keep the dodge as is, maybe knock some dents out and start tweeking the pump. It will have you hooked in no time when you figure out it will only take you 2 hours to double the power, increase the mpg, and roast the tires.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:20 PM

Would running belt driven hydraulics being sufficient enough to host the cylinders on the rollback and it's winch? I have a built 727 from a ton truck (don't remember if it has a PTO port)...Would the 4 speed bolt to the Cummings? I guess ultimately the 5 speed would be the way to go. Maybe I'll drive the '93 in the meantime...'till I figure out and gather what I need to put the Cummins in the rollback.

The rollback is a ton truck that has a 17 ft bed that tilts (or dump) and slides back to the ground. It's basically a flat bed tow truck...but much more versatile in that I can haul lumber, scrap, gravel...not to mention cars and trucks. You can see it in front of my '95 v10 in this picture.
Attached Thumbnails Seeking words of wisdow...-rollback.jpg  

Last edited by AllanWms; 01-20-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Add pic...
Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 PM

Well, why not just bolt the cummins to the 4speed thats in the rollback now? its the same bellhousing pattern. All you will need is flywheel and clutch. The clutch thats on it may even work still.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:43 PM

the motor cross member may even swap over and bolt up, so you wont have to mess with fabbing motor mounts and such.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:50 PM

That would be perfect if the current 4 speed in the rollback that was mated to 5.9 (360) gas motor would bolt up to the Cummins. I bought a new clutch for the gas motor and it's new in the box. If this is the case, what other than a flywheel would I need to change on the Cummins to swap from the 518 auto to a 4 speed manual?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 PM

probibly a starter if the teeth count is different. Dodge has there primary bolt pattern. I know the 89-91 cummins ran the 727 3-speed auto, just like the 383, 440, ect..... It may be an easier swap than you thought. You could sell the 518 to recover the cost of a new flywheel. I'm not a fan of used flywheels, once youve seen one used one come apart it kinda ruins it.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:54 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by pwrtripls1
Well, why not just bolt the cummins to the 4speed thats in the rollback now? its the same bellhousing pattern. All you will need is flywheel and clutch. The clutch thats on it may even work still.
No it isn't, the diesel bolt pattern is different.

And if you gathered up parts and adapters to make it fit, even a stock Cummins would break the gasser junk.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:55 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by AllanWms
Would running belt driven hydraulics being sufficient enough to host the cylinders on the rollback and it's winch? I have a built 727 from a ton truck (don't remember if it has a PTO port)...Would the 4 speed bolt to the Cummings? I guess ultimately the 5 speed would be the way to go. Maybe I'll drive the '93 in the meantime...'till I figure out and gather what I need to put the Cummins in the rollback.
That I don't know. That's why I listed the belt drive as an alternate.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
No it isn't, the diesel bolt pattern is different.

And if you gathered up parts and adapters to make it fit, even a stock Cummins would break the gasser junk.
I've been wrong many times before according to my wife, but unless they make a totaly different case for the diesel 727 then it has to be the same bolt pattern. The 727 is a one piece main case, it doesnt have a removable bell housing. Which is what lead me to believe the bolt patterns are the same. Also doesnt the V10 dodge have a 47re? I think I need to do some diggin and research.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pwrtripls1
I've been wrong many times before according to my wife, but unless they make a totaly different case for the diesel 727 then it has to be the same bolt pattern. The 727 is a one piece main case, it doesnt have a removable bell housing. Which is what lead me to believe the bolt patterns are the same. Also doesnt the V10 dodge have a 47re? I think I need to do some diggin and research.
There is at least 3 different 727 bellhousing bolt patterns that I know of. Small block gas, big block gas and the diesel/V10's share the same pattern.

The diesel 727 is made specifically for the diesels, internals are similar, but heavier, more pinions, more clutches. And the V10's could have had either a 47RH or a 47RE depending on year, 94-95 would have a RH and 96 and up would have an RE.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of the DEW EZE round bale beds use a motor mounted belt driven hyd. pump that has an electric clutch kinda like a a/c clutch to cycle it on and off, then they have a hyd. tank under the bed. That would solve your problems, but I'm going to bet that if you use the roll off for hualing alot you will be in the market for a built auto or a 5 speed anyways, so save yourself the hassel of having to build your dream truck twice.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You could pull the vaccum pump/power steering pump off, and run a bigger hydraulic pump. At work we run a 15 gpm pump from the accessory drive. It could be setup to run the P/S, or I am sure you could piggy back a P/S pump to the bigger one. Does an 84 use vaccum for the HVAC? If not, you really don't need it, unless you have vaccum brakes. Probably should have hyrdo-boost on a rollback anyways.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:06 AM

Visual definition of a rollback....

This is a 1 ton Ford rollback w/ a 17.5 ft bed.

Quick Reply: Seeking words of wisdow...