1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

roof replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roof replacement?

Has anyone here ever had the roof on their 1st gen replaced? i can get a cab that doesnt have any rust, but its from an 85 d150 and i am a little intimidated to swap cabs due to having to change the wiring harness. has anyone had a body shop replace the roof? i cold paint and bondo it, just wondering what it would cost to have the old roof cut off and a new one put on?
thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 11:42 AM

It shouldn't ba a big deal for a competant body shop, but you might ask around with the hot rod crowd for some of the guys who are experienced top choppers. The cut and alignment is critical for window fit. Overall cost shouldn't be too bad if you pull the glass, headliner, etc, and do the reassembly. I'd have the shop do the welding and finish bodywork (it's their reputation on the line, and they aren't going to want someone driving around with ripples and stuff spreading their name)
Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 PM

If it were me I would say that it would be cheaper and easier to just do the cab swap. The wiring isn't that big of a deal just go easy and carefully. I did a dash swap on a 94 Dakota and that thing had a ton of wires, it looks intimidating but it really wasn't that bad.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:55 PM

I'm in the same boat with needing roof work done. I am thinking about taking it to a body shop to have them do the work of cutting the bad metal out and replacing it with new. In the case that my cab is in good, solid shape every where else (even the floor is real solid) I think it's better for me to get the roof work done. Plus I have the factory white paint peeled off in many spots on the hood, a little on the fenders, and some on the top of the cab. I have seen more than just my truck with this factory paint problem and the truck's cab needing a repaint I think I'll get the roof work done. After it's brand new repainted I think it will be well worth it for the condition of the factory cab. I say if a body shop is going to take their time, do a very decent job, and it doesn't yield a big bill then I'd go for it. I just hope I have luck finding a shop I can trust that will do great work and not decide to charge way more money when they finally get it done.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:11 PM

A friend of mine has a 89 gasser that needed a roof. He owns a body shop and has a fab guy on site so it was pretty easy for him. He did say that it took them over 10hrs to do and he also said that they do not make the drip rail any more. He did get a new roof panel itself and they blended the roof into the windshield. They kept the drip rail over top of the doors because he said that it was to much of a structural risk to remove all of the drip rail. But I must say that it looks sweet without the drip rail over the windshield.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
I had my roof replaced last year,
my body shop charged me for two days labor, not counting prep and paint.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Free89W350
A friend of mine has a 89 gasser that needed a roof. He owns a body shop and has a fab guy on site so it was pretty easy for him.
Ryan, do you know how much he would charge to do another roof repair job? It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to look into having him do it on my truck, as he already has the experience (compared to someone else who hasn't done one). Only problem is I think you guys are quite a distance from me, but other then that I wouldn't hesitate to choose him if the price isn't that bad. Thanks for your reply.

Salvy
Old 12-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by RamW350 dually
Ryan, do you know how much he would charge to do another roof repair job? It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for me to look into having him do it on my truck, as he already has the experience (compared to someone else who hasn't done one). Only problem is I think you guys are quite a distance from me, but other then that I wouldn't hesitate to choose him if the price isn't that bad. Thanks for your reply.

Salvy
PM on its way.