1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Repacking your front axle bearings ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 09:57 AM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Repacking your front axle bearings ?

Hey folks,

I'm in the midst of rebuilding/bombing the brake system on my heap. (I realize that in the Real world of racing, brakes are for sissies but let's face it, we all gotta pee sometime).

Anyhoot, on the standard issue DANA60 front axle, when it comes to repacking the wheel bearings . ... . Yeah I know to get the new lube deep into the clean bearing but . . . .

Am I to Fill the hub with grease as well or simply pile a good amount around the installed bearing(s)?

I've in the past, put a goodly amount in the hub space between the two bearings and with the latest disassembly, that grease hasn't moved. Looks like a big waste of grease.

The FSM is vague there.

What'chall reckon?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you've completely cleaned the hub to where it's bone dry, I'd toss some grease around in there just to catch the odd bit of junk that may find its way in there. Every hub I've ever done has at least some in there. I don't know that I'd pack it full though..prolly just a good way to get new seals to leak, IMO.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:14 AM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by G1625S
If you've completely cleaned the hub to where it's bone dry, I'd toss some grease around in there just to catch the odd bit of junk that may find its way in there. Every hub I've ever done has at least some in there. I don't know that I'd pack it full though..prolly just a good way to get new seals to leak, IMO.
That's pretty-much what I'm thinking .. .
Old 03-18-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G1625S
That is how I did mine. Chiltons doesn't tell you much more except to make sure all the seals are lubed when assembled.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:39 AM
1st Generation Admin

Thanks folks.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:32 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Arrow Use The Blue

I am a firm believer in Kendall Super-Blu grease.

I was put onto it by a mechanic friend, many years ago, and have used it in everything that gets greased.

I used to go into my old 4x4 Chevy hubs almost monthly; the grease would be all broken-down and watery looking.

Not so, with the blue stuff; after several years, it will look like it was serviced yesterday.

NO , I don't represent the company---just want to make sure enough people buy the stuff to keep the company afloat, so that when I need some, it will be available.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:34 AM
1st Generation Admin

After digging through the axle section of the FSM to no avail, I found that needed in the Lubrication And Maintainence (Chassie & Body) section.

In addition to packing the bearing(s) "Place a small amount of fresh lubricant into the hub cavity".

. ... . Well there ya go.

Thanks Folks.

David
Old 03-18-2007, 11:36 AM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by BearKiller

I am a firm believer in Kendall Super-Blu grease.

I was put onto it by a mechanic friend, many years ago, and have used it in everything that gets greased.

I used to go into my old 4x4 Chevy hubs almost monthly; the grease would be all broken-down and watery looking.

Not so, with the blue stuff; after several years, it will look like it was serviced yesterday.

NO , I don't represent the company---just want to make sure enough people buy the stuff to keep the company afloat, so that when I need some, it will be available.
That's the stuff I've always used and with filling the hub, . . .. That's a waste of good grease. LOL!!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Just pack the bearings good and putt a palm full of grease in the cavity. Centripetal force will even it all out.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:08 PM
1st Generation Admin

Originally Posted by MikeThomas
Just pack the bearings good and putt a palm full of grease in the cavity. Centripetal force will even it all out.
That's what I'd always though. Seems it would contribute to a constant measure of lube to the bearings.

But then being that close to the center of rotation, I think you'd be breaking the legally posted speed limit to get things spinning that fast.

When I cleaned the hubs this go-round, the grease I found in the hub was indeed evenly distributed around the hub, but it also had large cracks or gaps in the grease as though it had dried-up. weird huh?