1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

rebuilt 6bt...wont run...HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuilt 6bt...wont run...HELP!!!

guys, i put rings, gaskets, and bearings in a '91 6bt and i cant get it to start...im pretty sure i timed it right, and i believe all the air is bled from the lines...the battery was kinda getting tired so it wasnt cranking very fast, so its on the charger now...the fuel shut-off soleniod has power to it and i can hear it click so thats good i guess...any ideas?? any help appreciated!!
Old 09-25-2007, 08:07 PM

you cracked the injector lines and turned it over to get all the air out? Also fill the filter with diesel?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:18 PM

yes, filled the filter before i put it on....and i cracked the lines until i got a pretty good stream of fuel, is it possible that there is still air in the lines? how much air would make it not start tho? thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 PM

i just replaced my injectors, and i spent a good hour and a half bleeding the lines with the truck on a rapid start battery charger. i cracked the first 3 then the last 3, for about an hour and 20 minutes, and it wasnt working, so i cracked the middle 2 injectors and bled those and the truck fired up. hope this helps. im pretty sure you still have air in the lines.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:31 PM

I bleed mine one at a time, gets the job done quick.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:34 PM

ill keep trying that then...thanks guys....any chance it could be ANYTHING else?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Banned

if it squirts fuel when ya crank with cracked open injector lines, it should be getting fuel in the cylinders, as long as you are gettin compression, and din't fubar the timing, it should fire off, just don't toast your starter tryin too hard, give it time to cool down. others might say different, but disconecting the heater grid and a bit of ether might get it goin till it can fire on its own small amounts of ether, grid heaters disabled, just this one time kind of thng
Old 09-25-2007, 08:47 PM

hmm...i dont have the heater grid connected at all....i tried the ether and it predetinated so bad i was afraid to do it again...about that timing, i lined up the 2 dots on one gear with the 1 dot on the other gear...is this correct? any chance i did it on the wrong stroke? is that even possible? thanks again!!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 PM

Diesel performance shop around here told me to crack the first 3 and crank over then the last three. But im sure 1 at a time would work also.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:41 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by oneofthefewbmx
hmm...i dont have the heater grid connected at all....i tried the ether and it predetinated so bad i was afraid to do it again...about that timing, i lined up the 2 dots on one gear with the 1 dot on the other gear...is this correct? any chance i did it on the wrong stroke? is that even possible? thanks again!!
Like this?

[IMG][/IMG]

And this?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 PM

yes, that is exactly how i did it...awsome diagram...i guess ill just try to bleed it more ....thanks guys!!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
As already said, open the intake horn, and MIST the ether to it, while cranking.

It really needs two people to do a good job of this, one spraying and one cranking.

If it is going to start at all, it will start on the ether, and then bleed itself.

In all my diesel years, many many years, I have never cracked a line to bleed off air.

My way of thinking, it's a whole lot less intrusive to just give it a shot of ether.

Due to the way the return-line system works, you can purge nearly every last bit of air from the lines, by merely working the primer-pump on the lift-pump, or charging the lines with an electric-pump.

Once fuel is brought to the injection-pump, it will fill the injector lines, and any excess will return to the tank via the return-lines, all of this with the engine not running.

If you do not believe me, remove that little return-line, at the rear of the engine, and watch how fast your fuel will pour on the ground; providing the tank is full and somewhat elevated, it will gravity flow through the injector-pump, through the injector-lines, to the returns, and out on the ground.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Banned

any luck ? was good weather here all weekend for workin on stuff, hope you got a chance to get this figured out and running.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:58 AM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
When I did mine I also had to crack the return line banjo at the back of the pump to get the inside of the pump full of fuel. It took a long time to get all the lines bled. Just because it's shooting fuel out don't mean they're bled yet. Just keep at it and you'll get there.

I opened mine all about 1/4 turn and cranked and cranked then I tightened them all down... nothing.

I kept this up in different combinations until it started running then I did them all again one at a time while it was running.

I'd be scared to go the either route. My dad RIP was a trucker and he told me stories of guys breaking head bolts and starting fires. Either is really powerful stuff. Some guys huff it to get high too. Meanwhile these fool kids buy paint. Go figgur.

Edwin