1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Puttering on RAE today....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 09:33 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Puttering on RAE today....

Well I was hoping to get RAE on the road today...but things happened.

I picked up my 2 piece drive shaft this morning, had to get the front half shorted a bit since it was pushed TIGHT against the output shaft seal on the NV4500...Not good. I also had the 2 pieces balanced together as well.

I got the drive shafts back in and decided to take RAE around the block. Fired it up and gave it some throttle and shifted gears...AND the RPM didn't come back down, I tapped the throttle thinking something was stuck, and the throttle went even higher!! Quickly shut the truck off and drifted to a stop. Found out that the throttle shaft was sticky as all heck. So off it came, dismantled everything, sanded and cleaned all the parts, lubed everything and re-installed...Works great now!!

Then I noticed that the truck wasn't braking right. Set the E-brake...Nothing...Hmmm I just adjusted everything up tight I should have E-brakes. Brought the truck back into the driveway and jacked it up, put E-brake on and I could spin the wheel easily. Had my daughter hold the brake pedal down to the floor and I tried to spin the rear wheel...again turned easily.

So off came the wheels, pulled the axles...another bad thing...they were so covered in rust and debris I was absolutely shocked. I just changed the diff fluid, but now I have to drain things again, clean all the rust and debris out of the axle tubes and then put everything back together. Hope there is no major damage from the previous owners and myself running this dana 60 with all that debris inside.

I didn't have a socket to fit the 2 1/2" nut that holds the drums and bearings on so I had to make something work...and no I didn't use a chisel and hammer... I used a set of big flat welding clamps, I was able to grab the side and spin the nut loose, but the PO sure used a chisel and hammer though.

Anyway got the drums off and found things unhooked, one bad drum, one set of brake pads that are turning all soft and flaky, never seen this before? So tomorrow I go shopping for proper socket for the axle nut, drums, and shoes, seals etc....$$$

Sorry for the long winded post...
Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 AM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like my summer of last yeari'm not wanting to repeat last year AT ALL ....on the bright side it's better to find out whats wrong now then 500 miles from home
Old 04-27-2010, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
YOu had the throttle apart and didn't put a 3200 gov. spring in it.? shame on you.

sucks about your brake troubles....Self adjusters?, master cyl?
Old 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 1,334 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by lil dennis
sounds like my summer of last yeari'm not wanting to repeat last year AT ALL ....on the bright side it's better to find out whats wrong now then 500 miles from home
Your right...at least it was still basically in my front yard.

Originally Posted by Crossy's son
YOu had the throttle apart and didn't put a 3200 gov. spring in it.? shame on you.

sucks about your brake troubles....Self adjusters?, master cyl?
I have a 3200 spring on the way, but it wasn't the throttle shaft on the VE pump, it was the throttle shaft where your throttle cable and cruise hook up.

As for the self adjusters....neither were even hooked up, but the condition of the drums and shoes warranted attention.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The socket for the wheel bearing nuts should be 2-9/16". There are 2 different ones, rounded corners or pointed corners. I would get the pointed one, since it should fit on the rounded ones, too.