1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pump Raining Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Pump Raining Fuel

Well, I went to start my truck and out of the blue my pump starts dumping fuel out and I cannot understand why it would do something like this I looks to be dumping from underneath or behind the pump (side closest to the block), but I do not know exactly it is really hard to tell. I do not know what to do and I need this truck to get me to school and back. Could it be the seals have finally dried up due to ULSD? It just seems so sudden there was no warning, just started raining fuel.

Any help will be great
Old 10-24-2007, 10:54 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I know what you mean by not being able to identify the source of the leak.

When the wife's truck started a fuel fountain, I was able to take a long-shank large straight screw-driver and sort of dam up the fuel, narrowing down the source.

Where it really was coming from actually appeared to be completely dry.

By placing the screw-driver blade against the pump-body, I was able to make the fuel pond up, where it looked like there wasn't any fuel.

It turned out to be the plug on top, that the tiny fuel tube goes into a banjo, just behind the timing-gear-cover.

There is a long thread on repairing this and, once screwed out, that device will have three (or is it four ??) identicle O-rings on it.

I replaced the O-rings and no more drip.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
What he said.

However, if it's lower on the pump then the pump has to come out. The timing piston cover o-ring is what's leaking if it's low on the engine side. Once you have the pump out it's a 30 second fix.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by wannadiesel
What he said.

However, if it's lower on the pump then the pump has to come out. The timing piston cover o-ring is what's leaking if it's low on the engine side. Once you have the pump out it's a 30 second fix.
I think that I will have to use the screw driver trick to find where it is leaking from. It does have two distinct drips, now whether the drips are from two different places or one just branching off into two don't have any clue. I looked in the Sticky on how to take the pump off but, the whole IP is quite intimidating for me. It looks tough to take off, but is it that bad? Any tricks for taking it off and is there any special tools to make this job easier? On the bright side of things I think that it is perfect time to install the GSK 366

What a week, this is so frustrating because I baby my truck
Old 10-25-2007, 06:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's not that bad to remove the pump...just time consuming. If it comes to that, don't be afraid of it

As for babying your truck, well, there's your problem right there--you've gotta peg the pyro once a day to let the ol' gal know you love her
Old 10-28-2007, 10:53 AM

Well I will keep you guys posted, I have to take it to a pump shop and from the sounds of it it needs a rebuild. I appreciate all the help and if I need any more I will let you know. I have to have my truck back for school and what not, but hey I will finally have my 3200 gov spring

What is the part number on that any way?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 PM

New Problem, let me know what you guys think
I talked with one of the best injection pump places in AZ (Southwest Diesel) and they want about $1000-$1200 for a pump rebuild depending on what I need in the pump. Does this out like a lot of money? I seems pretty high for me.

Where is the best place to get a re manufactured pump or a new one for that matter? In other words where are you guys getting your pumps?

I need your advice and with my truck down I am starting to get worried about what I am going to do. It is either I pull the pump and get it rebuilt for I get the truck towed (probably on the back of a ferd) down to the shop.

Need suggestions
Old 10-30-2007, 10:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by whereswaldo250
Where is the best place to get a re manufactured pump or a new one for that matter? In other words where are you guys getting your pumps?

It seems rather silly to me to pay a small fortune to rebuild/replace a pump, when good running rust-bucket trucks, with good functioning pumps, can be had for $1500 or less; and, you get an extra engine, extra wheels, extra transmission, etc.

I keep my eyes and ears open and pick up everything 1st Gen. Cummins that crosses my path, for just such occassions.

A little money tied up now saves me a ton of money later.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Holy cow thats allot! Its always logical for a pump shot to say they have to rebuild the WHOLE thing...that way if they have to warrantee their work its "worth it" to them. Why not find the source of the leak and replace that seal?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Here is some possibilities;

http://www.adiesel.com/pumps.html

http://www.mwfi.com/VEPump.htm

http://store.dieselcare.net/doinpu.html
Old 11-01-2007, 12:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Ben, have you talked with Fred about this?
Old 11-01-2007, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$600 is more realistic for a rebuild, UNLESS you need some precision components, or $300 for just resealing, or $25 for the seal kit and DIY

mine was leaking from the distributor plate (large o-ring, at rear) but only a drip, That is not the ez'st fix so I had it done at Bosch Shop. $75 for that seal only or $250 for complete re-seal, which is what I had them do. It would have been $300 additional for calibration, but with only 148K miles, and running fine, I said no. (diesel inj serv; 1-888-285-1213 - portland, or) They did it in an hr... while I was running errands. They had a whole rack of VE's in for repair, so it is a common operation for them.

I would guess your's to be the orings either on top or to the backside,

I hear the trick to doing the rear o-ring, is to just barely loosen the screws, and let the plate come back against the screws till you can get at the large oring, then work it off by only removing ONE of the 4 screws. There are check / metering valves and springs / *****... that will go flying if you take all the screws out.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:11 PM

For another quote try Hector with Injectors in Phoenix, I think the number is 602 595-0706. This is not a recommendation but a lead for "cheaper" option if you can not reseal your pump yourself and do not want to pay Southwest Diesel. Good Luck
Old 11-01-2007, 05:56 PM

Lucky???

Thanks guys for your support and help with this nightmare

Mike PM Sent

Well I may be using some of those sites. I looked in the Sticky and it turns out that I may have one of those recalled pumps. I am talking with a buddy of mine who works in the service department at my local dodge dealer, and I told him about my situation. I have every service record for the truck down to the bolt and they said that it came in in 04 for something to do with a pump. He said to look for a receipt, well I have receipts from previous pump jobs (from 92) but none from 04, so he said well we do not show what was done, and as far as we can tell nothing was done. I may have gotten extremely lucky on this one

I will keep you guys informed about what happens. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by G1625S
As for babying your truck, well, there's your problem right there--you've gotta peg the pyro once a day to let the ol' gal know you love her
Taking off stack = not loving her

Quick Reply: Pump Raining Fuel