1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Pulling my hair on 4" pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I did my stacks back in December, I bought 4 feet of 4" flex. I never used it. when you get flex pipe that large, it DOESNT flex like that 2" flex in the parts stores! I think out of 4 feet, it took me 3 feet just to make a 90* bend in it! I was acctually just thinking about that today. I need to do something to get a little flex out of my setup, its all very ridged (i think thats how ya spell it!) its all hard mounted, no movement at all, and that kinda bothers me.
Really all u need, from the DP is about 4-5 feet of 4" straight, 90* to go up through the bed, then depending on how u do the stacks (box system, or splitter-T, and this is how I did mine) 4"ID to 5"OD, 5" splitter-T, 2 5" 90's, 2 "universal stack mounts" (fleet pride) and maybe 3 feet 5" pipe. 6 5" clamps (I used band clamps on the entire system) 3 4" clamps. That project cost me a lot more then it should have, I have a TON of left over stuff. About 4 feet of 4" pipe, whats left of the bottom of the stacks, a clamp or 2, and 4 or 5 feet of 4" flex. Oh plus, I used the short radius 90's in the bed, and I had a miss-matched set for a time, my passenger side was a regular radius 90*, that one butted right up to the splitter-T, BUT I didnt have much clamp holdin the stack to the 90, so I swapped that out for another matching short radius 90* so right there was $40 more then nessecary. I probably spent $100 more then it should have. I think in my entire exhaust system as it sets I have over $600 invested.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by efbeason
I think that is the problem with 4" pipe. That's why you have to purchase the systems banks and other performance vendors have on the market. I have never been able to find a muffler shop that could bend 4" pipe. I have a good friend who owns a muffler shop and he told me that the benders they have will only go up to 3". That's how those guys get their dough. But maybe someone wiser than me will chime in here and get you on the right track.
I have a custom exhaust shop in town and a diesel performance shop. 4" is common around here?!?! CES is the name of the shop (custom exhaust specialties) He said he could make me up a 4" dp for 250... I thought this was reasonable until I heard you can just purchase them for 150 bones!!! He can custom bend the rest of my exhaust (dp back) for 200-300 depending if I want to go out before the back wheel or behind.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:43 AM

If that Jardine guy is legit, then i think the best deal would be from him to get to the front of the bed. I want to go between my bed and frame rail using two 90s so that my stack wouldn't take up any more space than right where it stands. I sent an email to Jardine but haven't heard back yet, I'll keep y'all posted on what I find.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:18 PM

Pinnacle Power Exhaust (Jerry Jardine) is very legit. I have their 4" exhaust on my truck ('98 12 valve) and it lasted 7 years up here in New York. My over axle pipe developed a crack in the mandrel bend. They sent a new pipe no questions asked. Excellent customer service.
www.pinnaclepowerexhaust.com
Either call them or see their E-Bay store:
http://stores.ebay.com/Jerry-Jardine-Engineering